Indiana Beer Love (2020 - 2021)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by ja1022, Feb 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ja1022

ja1022 Crusader (468) Sep 27, 2009 Indiana
    Trader

I noticed the original thread was closed but wanted to note that one of the original bad northwest Indiana breweries has decided to wrap it up here in a couple of days after a 10 year run. Sincere congrats to them for making it that long. While a couple of bad breweries have gone away, at least one more has been added- one that I actually visit because of it's proximity to my new location (a little closer to southwest Michigan). They're good peeps, it's not their livelihood and they're sincerely making efforts to hone the craft. That makes at least nine bad breweries still left.

Also seems to me that 18th Street is killing it again. For my tastes, I've been getting some world class stuff outta Miller for the last several months. Liking the Burn 'Em boys more as well, and Four Fathers new digs are nice too.

#1 ja1022, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    SWChi and ChicagoJ like this.
  2. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Grand Pooh-Bah (5,364) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Who?

3. ja1022

Trader

In Valpo.

4. GuyFawkes

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

OK I'm done.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  5. toolbrew

toolbrew Pooh-Bah (1,600) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

6. GuyFawkes

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

7. ja1022

Trader

Good point and well taken. For some weird reason I felt bad naming names when I've never had issues calling out shit breweries by name before.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  8. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Grand Pooh-Bah (3,036) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If you check out their menu, Figure 8‘s Transcendent quad is list at $36 a six pack. At that price, they may still have some after the close.

I did enjoy Rye Knot. Jumbo Love was not too bad either. The rest of their beers were bad.

9. kodt

kodt Pooh-Bah (2,262) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Can I call out Viking Artisan Ales as being flavored kool-aid producer and not a brewer?

10. Gunslinger711

Gunslinger711 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2010 Indiana

In your opinion, what are the bad breweries left.

To me, Figure 8 wasn't bad...they just weren't particularly good. And the "buying a new growler or using only Figure 8 branded growler" thing got old real quick.

Agree with you on 18th Street and Four Father's (especially with what little space they've had to operate). Burn Em has been in the "just ok" category for me as well besides their corn beer O had at the last 450 corn maze (maize) I really liked that one.

If we're talking Valpo I've always wanted to like Ironwood Brewing and had some decent beers in there but the service are a turn off for me. At best I've been ignored, at worst they've been outright rude to me and my partner.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  11. ja1022

Trader

In my opinion, bad to mediocre at best:

Bulldog
    ByWay
    Malt Bros
    Wild Rose
    Devil's Trumpet
    Crown
    Off Square
    Shoreline
    Plat 35

Zorn and Ironwood get a pass because I really haven't sampled their stuff.

ChicagoJ, JohnnyHopps and GuyFawkes like this.
  12. ja1022

Trader

...yeah and add the Kool-Aid place in Griffith to the list too.

13. JohnnyHopps

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

To be fair, I have not had any of their beers. But I have no desire to sample them. The whole concept of their beers is reprehensible.

14. JohnnyHopps

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

So who do you have in the brewery death pool? I will take Devil’s trumpet. Not because they are worst, but because of their location. Every time I have been in there I have had the place to myself

Beer_Economicus and ja1022 like this.
  15. ja1022

Trader

I would agree with that. All the others seem to have some level of community support or they're getting by on food.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  16. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Pooh-Bah (1,663) May 10, 2014 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

If this is the "Indiana Beer Love" forum, then you guys have a twisted sense of "love".
    [Rechecks every post in the thread. Yep, twisted.]

17. dcall384

dcall384 Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2011 Indiana

On happier notes, I found Zombie dust in cans the other day. So that was exciting.

18. dcall384

dcall384 Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2011 Indiana

Does anyone have a favorite Indiana beer right now? I have been drinking a lot of Hometown Hero from Triton lately. I was taking some time off from IPA's.

19. JohnnyHopps

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

One brewery that has not been mentioned yet that I drink often is New Oberpfalz. I am not much of a fan of their stouts. Helles is a well crafted “regular beer” at a great price for a six pack. It’s a nice normal beer. ... I am hoping Schwarbier is bottled again soon.

20. GuyFawkes

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It's not always around, but I find Wigsplitter from Ye Olde Three Floyds to be an excellent coffee stout.

Looks like it's coming back, like, right now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.