Thoughts on Founders?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NickyDee21, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickyDee21

NickyDee21 Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2011 Pennsylvania

I loved all the backstage releases, CBS and FMB being my favorite. Can someone tell me how Boltcutter was? I really wanted to buy it, but I've never had a barley wine I was fond of. I just can't justify hunting down a bottle for the one style of beer I don't really like.

2. jtierney89

jtierney89 Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2011 New Jersey

Founders has rarely dissapointed me, oddly though russian imperial stout is one of the ones i wasnt crazy about. I didnt think it was a bad beer, but i didnt feel it lived up to everything everyone said it would or to founders quality. I have a bottle of bolt cutter, gonna open it in maybe a month or two to let it settle. Hoping it will be fantastic

3. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2008 Pennsylvania

All Day IPA may have been my favorite new beer I tried this year

4. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

double trouble, imperial stout, breakfast stout, devil dancer, kbs, cbs to name a few.

5. rmcnealy

rmcnealy Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2006 Illinois

Being from Chicago, Founder's is a neighborly staple and rightfully so. The span of their spectrum is awesome. I actually prefer (*gulp*) KBS to my hometown BCBS. (The variants are amazing, settle down). Devil Dancer up until this year was amazing. Double Trouble is a great dIPA that I enjoyed all spring and was as good as ever. All Day IPA was a summer favorite and with an unthinkably low ABV packed a solid hoppy taste and has become one of my favorite IPAs overall! I somehow missed Frangelic Mountain and happen to find it at a bar (Map Room) in the midst of a buddy's bacehlor party. I don't know if it was the setting or the beer but I thought it was pretty amazing. Exceptional, actually. I've had a few FBS and they seem a bit light but I have enough to revisit a few every month to see how it goes over the next year. We'll see. Backwoods Bastard and Harvest Ale were solid but I think perhaps overhyped. Overall I think they are an exceptional brewer and can always expect great quality. I can't wait to take a bunch of KBS down to the Derby in '13!

Cheers!

6. hardy008

hardy008 Pooh-Bah (2,257) Jan 12, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

If I see a Founders beer on the shelf, I want to try it, or have it again. I don't need to look up the ratings. One of the few breweries I can say that about.

7. Localdrinklax

Localdrinklax Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2010 Wisconsin

Founders makes great brews all across the board. If I had to say one I did not like would be Cerise. Watch the video on their website, gets me all jacked up and makes me want to drink a Founders beer!

8. blackcompg

blackcompg Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2011 Illinois

I do REALLY enjoy all the Founders products I've had, especially their stouts - and this year for the first time I tried Cerise - and you know what, I really enjoyed that one too, alot - so that makes two of us :wink:

9. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Pooh-Bah (2,914) Oct 15, 2011 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

Without qualification, the only two beers I disliked were FMB and Curmudgeon. With qualification, a less-than-fresh Centennial IPA came across like total dishsoap to me.

Otherwise? Every single thing they make ranges from very good to excellent. And I haven't even had KBS or Backwoods Bastard yet.

10. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (1,104) Oct 19, 2006 Indiana
    Trader

Founders Imperial Stout is my benchmark. Some are as good, few are better.
    Harvest Ale is a refreshing treat.
    The Backstage Series has been special.
    All Day IPA was a bit dissapointing. All in all, I think of Founders as one of the top, if not the top, brewers in the midwest.

11. Trystero

Trystero Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2009 Ohio

You sir, are correct. Except now I live 2000 miles away.

mjshearer1 likes this.
  12. ynnpar

ynnpar Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2007 England

Lots of good beers. Really like curmudgeon's better half. Not crazy about bolt cutter and the frangelic blue. KBS was just ok for me the last two times I've had it. Annoyed I missed CBS.

13. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Founders is an awesome brewery. My favorite beer from them was CBS right after the bottles came out.

14. gcamparone

gcamparone Pooh-Bah (2,057) Dec 6, 2011 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Backwoods makes me happy

15. Horbar

Horbar Maven (1,397) Feb 24, 2012 Rhode Island

They kick ass!!!

16. tectactoe

tectactoe Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

In all honesty, probably my favorite brewery. Perhaps some bias on my part, since I live in SE Michigan, but when you make beer like them, have can you not love it? My favorites are:

1. FBS
    2. Porter
    3. Centennial IPA (fresh)
    4. Harvest Ale
    5. Double Trouble

I haven't even had KBS, CBS, or the Imperial Stout yet. I know, right? I'm sure those would show up in my top beers, if only I could get my hands on them. That's my goal next year.

17. Circleo12

Circleo12 Maven (1,422) Nov 12, 2012 South Carolina
    Trader

I've only tried 3 Founders products so far, but for me it is::

1a. Founders Backwoods Bastard
    1b. Cerise (I love this one, but FBB is that good as well)
    3. FBS

18. Circleo12

Circleo12 Maven (1,422) Nov 12, 2012 South Carolina
    Trader

Nah, I loved it from the first sip. I can see how some folks wouldn't be a fan of it. Thats ok though, just more for us!

19. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

Where is this place at, sounds awesome? :-)

20. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I'm a huge Founders fan. I even enjoyed FMB. If I had to pick a favorite....I'd have to go with KBS. The first time I had it was like a religious experience in my mouth.

Just picked up my $25 bottle of Bolt Cutter last night (ouch). Will it stand up to other BBABWs? We'll just have to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.