Best year for Dark Lord

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Irishace9, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaisonFest

SaisonFest Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2012 Washington

09 is by far the best, even though it was bad at first. I think 2012 will do the same thing. I will probably trade for a bunch of 2012 now while it is cheap, and wait for it to improve.

jegross2 likes this.
  2. MikeyMikee

MikeyMikee Crusader (456) Mar 4, 2010 New York
    Trader

2009 is outstanding right now. And I'm not normally a fan of DL at all.

zieglemt likes this.
  3. GrandmaDeath

GrandmaDeath Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2012 Illinois

I liked the 2009 quite a bit myself. I've had 09-12. I've had 4 bottles of 2012 i think at this point and 1 of the bottles i thought tasted really great but the rest seemed to have the green apple type flavor that i've seen people referencing. The one that I thought was good was about a month ago, so it had been sitting for the longest, I am not sure if some age is improving it or if there was a good and bad part of this years batch.

4. dsal89

dsal89 Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2008 Indiana

Had 2010 again at Zwanze Day. I have only had '12 other than that but i had a hard time finishing my glass. '10 was just beautiful and im going to stick with that until i have others :slight_smile:

5. birchstick

birchstick Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2007 Colorado

I have only had 4 years of it, but the 2009 wasn't good at all, 2010 is still holding up really well and quite tasty, haven't had the '11 or '12 since they came out, but IMO, the '10 is the best in my experience.

6. birchstick

birchstick Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2007 Colorado

I had it 2 - 3 weeks ago. My buddy and I agreed that this beer was not good. Ashy chocolates (maybe the fallout of a high-roasted coffee), watery, and not overly pleasant.

7. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,730) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I have drank 08 - 11 DL.

08 is amazing compared to everything else. And thats by a long shot... no other vintages even comes close to 08...

8. Zimbo

Zimbo Pooh-Bah (2,281) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland
    Pooh-Bah

Basically there's no consensus. I had the 07 and 11 last month and the latter was beautifully resolved while the 2011 had a beautiful mouthfeel but seemed sort of simple (probably because it was still relatively young).

9. jtmartino

jtmartino Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 California

I had a 2011 two weeks ago and wasn't impressed. My next bottle will likely be traded for something better.

10. JasonGoodfriend

JasonGoodfriend Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2014 Illinois

Just ran a multiple regression analysis on all the rankings on this thread, and found an R^2 of 0

11. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Holy Zombie Thread...

basto likes this.
  12. Stevedore

Stevedore Grand Pooh-Bah (5,072) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

There is no best year for Dark Lord. None.

dragonaut and BrettHead like this.
  13. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

At this point Three Floyds should just barrel age it all. It was the baddest boy on the planet when it came out but now it's like dial up internet. It was awesome when you first got it but nobody got time for it anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.