From Beer to Hard Seltzer: A Cultural Pivot Finds a New Market

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by CervezaNY, May 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheppard

Sheppard Grand Pooh-Bah (3,282) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, I'm curious whether White Claw, which has kind of become number one due to viral marketing and social media, will continue to be the number one. With the weight of AB-InBev and Molson-Coors, will we see those companies' offerings at bars and White Claw/Truly be more of the choice at retailers? There are a lot of interesting battles to be played out. I just hope it's not at the cost of craft.

rgordon likes this.
  2. eppCOS

eppCOS Grand Pooh-Bah (4,236) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

Fine for people who don't like the taste of beer (barbarians!)
    But when I drink seltzer, it's the N/A kind. That's kind of the point.
    Yeah, I'm GenX. :wink:

3. Sheppard

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I drink a ton of the non-alcoholic kind too.

4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

You haven't noticed that already? At my local beer retailers those hard seltzers are sitting on shelves that previously had beer (and they have not increased the shelving space).

As more beverage companies produce more and more hard seltzer products this (unfortunate) trend will continue.

Cheers!

5. Sheppard

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Honestly, I haven't looked too hard. I don't go to that many stores. The LBS by me usually has what I need. The grocery store usually has the pilsner I like in stock. I probably should have paid more attention to the end caps there, but I have seen it mostly be cider or seltzer recently, whereas before it might have been one of the Virginia breweries (Port City, Three Notch'd).

Singlefinpin likes this.
  6. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Savant (1,212) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

1) Where have you guys been? That is not a new press release High Noon has been out for close to a year

2) That is an entirely different proposition than "White Claw"

White claw = malt beverage... add sugar or malt to water, ferment, add flavor and carbonation. A lot like beer.

High Noon = vodka soda. Distill spirit. Add to water with fruit flavor then carbonate. Distillation and the production and regulation that come with it make this more expensive. Whether this is more valuable to the consumer is somewhat debatable, but the RTD "Ready To Drink" spirit based drinks across the board are more expensive than the malt beverages.

7. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Savant (1,212) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

The malt based products are actually cheaper per serve than buying a $20 1.75 of decent vodka + cans of "La croix"

The really cheap spiked seltzers are just fermented sugar / malt, they don't contain distilled spirit.

8. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Maven (1,478) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, I'm not sure you all have done the math on this. Factoring in spillage and overpours, you get roughly 36 shots in a 1.75L.

Liquor store near me has 12-packs of Bud Light Seltzer for $12.50. Total is $37.50

1.75L vodka = $20
    3 12-packs LaCroix = 3 x 5.75 = $17.25
    TOTAL = $37.25

OK, I guess that technically the DIY approach is cheaper. But the convenience of being able to throw some cans in a cooler (beach/camping) or a backpack (hiking/pool/picnic/little league game) or a golf bag (uh, golfing) would be worth a quarter if I actually drank the stuff. As for laziness, well I've hosted a lot of parties and BBQs in the last 20-some years, and despite the plethora of alcohol readily available, nobody ever makes a mixed drink. I mean, I've made a lot of drinks for people, but I can probably count on one hand the number of times that somebody made their own. Who the hell wants to bother with that?

9. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Maven (1,345) Mar 5, 2014 New York

I don't know what sugar has to do with the fact that seltzers are all gross

10. deleted_user_1007501

deleted_user_1007501 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2015

You do you, brother

Singlefinpin likes this.
  11. flyerzrule

flyerzrule Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2010 California

I have zero interest in hard seltzer but I understand it's cheaper and quicker to brew so if it gives a brewery the extra capital to brew a nice barrel aged stout/sour/3x IPA or other ingredient/labor intensive beer, I'm all for it.

12. mmmbeerNY

No, I don't. Why would I care if something crappy has sugar in it or not. I would not drink it either way

Singlefinpin likes this.
  13. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Pooh-Bah (2,400) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Fortunately, it's a unfortunate trend that probably won't last.
    Cheers!

Prince_Casual likes this.
  14. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Pooh-Bah (2,400) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They're only offering you cheap 12 packs of seltzer to get you hooked. Once your hooked on Seltzer? They'll raise the price. Just like heroin dealers. LOL!
    Long live Craft!
    Cheers!

ChicagoJ likes this.
  15. deleted_user_1007501

deleted_user_1007501 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2015

You do indeed do you. And I do me. Is there a miscommunication here?

My initial four word comment was intended to sum up the sentiment of “even though I can understand the reasoning behind your opinion, this is a point within our brief interaction that we can amicably disagree and move past the disagreement. It is no longer necessary to expound upon, since it most likely would bear no substance or beneficial information worthwhile to other users of BeerAdvocate”

16. mmmbeerNY

Ah, sorry I miss-read. I thought you said I know what sugar had to do with seltzer

17. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Grand Pooh-Bah (3,185) Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I just can’t imagine anyone drinking this stuff except high school girls. Maybe they are tired of Bartles & James, Smirnoff Ice, and Boone’s Farm?

18. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Grand Pooh-Bah (3,185) Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The second and third aren’t the problem, it’s always the last one that gets you!

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  19. Sheppard

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This plus the fact that not everyone likes beer. Having other options available at the taproom make it a more desirable to groups (when we can do that again). If they have the capabilities, offering ciders and seltzer (and wine) are ways to get a more diverse clientele or to keep people at the taproom longer.

My girlfriend doesn't like all beer and tolerates going to breweries because she knows I love them. Would it be easier for me to go to one/stay longer at one if they offered drinks that she likes? The answer is yes.

AlcahueteJ, bmugan, ESHBG and 2 others like this.
  20. Speedy1985

Speedy1985 Initiate (0) May 1, 2017 New Jersey

I thought the same, but apparently it's not just that demographic. White Claw can't make it fast enough and they are building a new plant in NJ and want it done quickly. They're working around the clock 7 days a week to get it done.

Sheppard and ChicagoJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.