New Beer Sunday (Week 801)

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by superspak, Jun 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reef

Reef Pooh-Bah (2,449) Dec 2, 2016 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Drinking a local kölsch style beer,
    Angry Fish Brewing Wyse's Ferry Kölsch.
    This brewery is less than two years old, and tucked away in an industrial complex. There are lots of new breweries like this in the Carolinas where you have to use Google or word of mouth to find them. Angry Fish is in Lexington, adjacent to Lake Murray, so a lot of their beers have a lake or fishing themed name.
    [​IMG]
    According to their website:

Well, that’s a fishing tale worth telling! While fishing on Lake Murray, one of the brewers hooked a monster catfish with two red eyes. The catfish was put on a stringer (a line through the gills) and the fishing continued with a few more fish added to the stringer. The group decided to take a break and grab lunch, leaving all of the fish on the stringer tied to the dock. Once they returned, the red-eyed catfish was gone! One of the guys in the group said, “Wow, that was one angry fish,” and the name was born.

Can confirm that catfish are SCARY.
    I had gotten positive reports from reliable sources about the beers and stopped in to pick up a crowler last week. I chose Wyse's Ferry Kölsch because it is Kölsch drinking weather.
    [​IMG]
    Well carbonated clear gold with two fingers of white head. Strong mineral and floral scents. Taste is pleasant, less hop brightness than my favorites from Coast and Bierkeller. A good lawn mower or lake afternoon beer, which I am sure is the intention. I enjoyed it and will try more of their offerings.

2. Roguer

Roguer Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,757) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thank you! :slight_smile:

I don't necessary disagree. I suspect the marshmallow should affect the body of the beer - but to know for sure, I'd have to have the same base beer with marshmallow, versus with vanilla. DM is already a relatively thin impy stout compared to its peers, so if the marshmallow is thickening it up in this particular case, it's not showing. :wink:
    (And Prairie, by contrast, often make their massive stouts thick to begin with, so the marshmallow doesn't seem to help in that case, either.)

As for flavor, I again suspect the marshmallow is a bit sweeter, and creamier. That's kind of how I interpret it, and what I think I'm getting. But in most pastry stouts, it seems pretty difficult to tell just how much influence the marshmallow is adding, and adding vanilla might be more direct and impactful.

It's not that I consider marshmallow and vanilla to be interchangeable; rather, that in most big, high ABV imperial stouts, I don't get much "nuance" from marshmallow, and I think vanilla would not only have the same effect, but would be even more effective. But I could also be wrong on that. Picking marshmallow notes out of a double-digit ABV beer aged in bourbon or Scotch barrels might be a losing proposition to begin with. :slight_smile:

2beerdogs, Amendm, MacMalt and 5 others like this.
  3. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The good stuff arrives by the circle route :grin: Nice review! Cheers!

MacMalt, Roguer, beergoot and 4 others like this.
  4. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Grand Pooh-Bah (5,891) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks for reminding me how much I miss Really Old Brown Dog!

SABERG, MacMalt, woodchipper and 3 others like this.
  5. FBarber

FBarber Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,161) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

Good Morning everyone!

@cjgiant, Dogfish is not the only brewer doing brunch inspired beers recently. My first new beer today is Beer for Brunch from Off Color here in Chicago which is a mimosa inspired Berliner Weiss with orange and Chardonnay grape juice.
    [​IMG]

Beer pours a cloudy drab yellow color. Thick frothy white head collapses until just a thin layer of velvety foam remains on top of the beer.

Aroma has strong notes of white grape juice, champagne, hints of orange, lemon and a slight tart acidic bite on the back end like a fresh squeezed lemon.

Taste follows the nose with notes of white wine, fresh apple, hints of orange and lemon with a grainy malt note on the back end. Moderately acidic with more a fruit - read lemon - based presentation. Light wheat and grain malt notes peep through in between the array of fruits.

Feel is light, easy drinking, with a bright, but smooth carbonation. Dry finish.

Overall this is a really good beer. The white grape juice and orange really compliment the Berliner Weisse base beer. Off Color's standard Berliner is actually quite a good example of the style and the additions here compliment the base beer rather than changing it to something unrecognizable.

Finally, I just have to say that Off Color's artwork is some of my favorite in the city. Its so whimsical and fun. This can is no different.
    [​IMG]

6. Roguer

Roguer Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,757) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut

I don't like session IPAs. Session Belgian ales - or Belgian Table Beer - on the other hand, rarely seem like a compromise.

[​IMG]

Allagash River Trip is such a beer, along with coriander and dry-hopped with Comet and Azacca. That last bit has me less than enthused, but who knows?

Much simpler than round one, this beer is nonetheless impeccably executed and quite enjoyable. Straight 4s across the board, except for the nose, with is really delightful.

The dry-hop doesn't turn this into an IPA by any stretch; it really does add to the depth and nuance of the brew. The body is quite impressive for a beer that clocks in under 5%; it's kind of the anti-Dragon's Milk in that regard, punching above its weight class. Still quite drinkable.

Looks like a second straight +rDev, but I'm not complaining. Two very good beers today.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4/398180/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.06 / +1.5%

Cheers!

Pinz412, superspak, JimKal and 25 others like this.
  7. ESHBG

ESHBG Pooh-Bah (2,099) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Cool story and can art! I have some crazy catfish stories also. They don't get enough credit for how adaptable and aggressive they are. I have seen some absolute monsters reeled in here in PA and saw a gigantic catfish eat another fish being reeled in like a shark can. When I was young night fishing for them and monster crayfish was always a good time.

Roguer, FBarber, ovaltine and 2 others like this.
  8. lordofthewiens

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks, Ian, for getting today's New Beer Sunday started.
    My wife and I (and the dogs) just got back from a good long hike. We hiked a loop at Soledad Canyon, new to us. It was a good hike, with some elevation. My wife and dogs negotiated it better than I did, but we all finished in good shape.
    My new beer is one my wife has been wanting me to try. It's one of her favorites, Raspberry Dynamite from Steel Bender Brewyard in Albuquerque.
    A dark pink/red color, maybe magenta. Small pink head, a little bit of lace.
    Raspberry aroma, fairly sweet.
    Sweet raspberry taste, a little tart in the aftertaste.
    More sweet than tart.
    Not bad, but I was expecting it to be more of a sour.

[​IMG]

9. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Grand Pooh-Bah (4,073) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I thought I had this second pour before, but going through all of my notes I have not. I have been to Firestone Walker's Brewpub near LAX, and really enjoyed the pours, food and fact they put on hockey. I've also had FW in California, Nevada and Illinois before. Somehow I missed having their WCIPA. Binny's had this fresh, so situation rectified. Beer was not refrigerated in the store, but has been since I purchased 8 days ago.

Firestone Walker Union Jack

[​IMG]

This beer was canned 5/26/20 @ 16:13, poured into a pint glass, looks great, and away we go....

Appearance: Crystal clear light straw tan pour, mild carbonation, bright puffy generous white head leaves soapy lacing. 4.0

Aroma: Faint pine aroma. 3.0

Taste:
    Full and bold taste, bitter pine leads, malt backs well. Strong flavor and equally strong dry and bitterness. This is a great tasting pour. 4.5

Mouthfeel:
    Medium creamy body, slightly oily texture, dry aftertaste lingers, nominal carbonation. 3.75

Overall:
    This is a very good WCIPA. 4.0

I'm glad I have five more of these, will seek these out in the future. Not sure if I will try one more today, but I will come back to see if there are any other beers I should consider for future purchase.

Cheers!

Pinz412, superspak, Txex06 and 22 others like this.
  10. mickyge

mickyge Grand Pooh-Bah (4,128) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good morning NBS'ers
    I'm a little out of my comfort zone as I don't drink sours a lot as in hardly ever. My daughter gave me a 4 pack for Fathers Day so I'll give it a shot.
    [​IMG]

Painted Ladies from Armada Brewing out of Connecticut, the label says brewed and canned by Overshores Brewing East Haven exclusively for Armada Brewing 4.5 % abv 16 oz can.
    Billed as a Sour Ale brewed with pomegranates, cranberries and peaches.
    L/ 3.75 A/ 3.75 T/3.75 M/4.00 O/3.75

Pours almost flesh colored with thin dissipating head

Aroma is sour cranberries and pomegranate

Taste is cranberry forward and pomegranate notes slight peach finish

Mouthfeel is tart on the tongue and finishing with a slight pucker

Overall it wasn't overly sour more on the tart side, fairly tasty and refreshing.

11. eppCOS

eppCOS Grand Pooh-Bah (4,236) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

Howdy NBSers, back with a new* one.
    Cumbre's Zuzax (Kolsch style) "ale" Canned 6.18.20 - 4.8%
    * is that I had my first last night, but after a couple of beers so my palate wasn't exactly set at zero for maximum review effectiveness.

This beer surprised me, even though I love Cumbre as a brewery, and about the only thing I could "go after" was the look of this, not the usual light-misty-unfiltered Kolsch look that I prefer. But to each their own....

4.24/5 rDev +6.8%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L - Lovely transparent Kolsch, a little less unfiltered than classic versions, but damn it's clear for miles, Captain! Great bubbles, decent head, minimal lacing.
    S - Bread. Cracker. Saltine, malt malt malt, and a light citric veil of hops await on the nose.
    T - Fantastic full palate impact, not quite a Dovetail mind you, but for 4.8%? Stunningly tasty for this weight. Graceful, almost weightless at times.
    F - Great mouthfeel, carbonation stays lively for 30-35 minutes, no complaints for the style here. A real Kolsch in the mouth.
    O - A fantastic effort at a classic style by Cumbre, well done!

[​IMG]

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 24 others like this.
  12. thebeers

thebeers Grand Pooh-Bah (5,393) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]Warwick Farm Lemon Shandy

Happy Sunday, BAs. Thanks to all the contributors and original custodians of this thread.

Today’s new beer comes to me from the generous @zekeman17. It’s from a more-or-less local brewery I’ve been very much meaning to try.

Lemon Shandy pours a hazed pale yellow color — like a mellowed out wheat beer — with a huge, rocky white head that dissipates unevenly and leaves thick webbed lacing.

The nose shows lemon, some tartness, a hint of hoppy crispness and what comes across as a wheat-like softness to me, even though I believe they use pilsner malt in this.

It has a very soft and easy-drinking taste with lemony sweetness that’s actually not really tart at all. It’s almost like a Sprite or something, but that’s cut by an element that, again, gives me a wheat impression.

Soft feeling, medium bodied, with low carbonation.

Shandy isn’t a style I turn to often, so it’s hard for me to rank against other examples. This is certainly very refreshing and easy-drinking. Runs a tad too sweet for me to session, but I can see it working well for a lot of folks outside on a hot day.

Thanks, Jeff. Much appreciated. :beers:

Pinz412, ChicagoJ, 2beerdogs and 23 others like this.
  13. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They recently came out with another Belgian Pale Ale called Nowaday that's also very good. It's not as hoppy as River Trip but just as quaffable, maybe even more so.

It's great to see Allagash taking the lead in a niche that's been woefully underrepresented for so long.

cjgiant, SABERG, Premo88 and 4 others like this.
  14. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Pooh-Bah (2,289) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yesterday I focused on trying to drink some old beer that was lurking in one of my beer fridges. It probably wasn't accurate to refer to it as clearing out the cellar, as nobody ages Hoegaarden on purpose. I find that sometimes if I have a large group of people coming over, I'll buy some more "mainstream" beer, then whatever doesn't get consumed that night just sits in the fridge.

Anyway, that's a long way around of saying that I'm looking forward to trying some beer today that I actually want to drink! First up is this bottle of Foudre Punch by Almanac Beer Company, bottled 12/8/17. The brewer describes it as "Sour blonde ale aged in oak foudres with raspberries, blueberries & cherries". I have generally enjoyed Almanac's beers, but haven't purchased any for quite some time as the price point (I think ~$10 - $12 per bottle) isn't quite worth it for me. Let's see how this bad boy has held up over the last 2.5 years.
    [​IMG]
    4.13/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a glowing light orange / peach color with no head. You can certainly smell the sour, but it's not overwhelming. Subtle hints of the berries used in the creation of this beer. As with many stronger sours, it takes a few sips to get past the palate shock and focus on the taste itself. This is really pleasing on the tongue, especially initially. While I can't pick up the individual berry notes, I can definitely tell that this was aged with some fruit. If anything, I can taste the cherry. Aftertastes has a little bit of barnyard funk to it, but just a little. Minimal carbonation. Overall this is a nice & balanced, and is hitting the spot.

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 25 others like this.
  15. lordofthewiens

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Great review! I'll have to see if Zuzax has made it down to these parts.

Premo88, FBarber and eppCOS like this.
  16. larryi86

larryi86 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,106) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Pooh-Bah Trader

On to my second new beer today Bearded Iris Wavelenght, thanks @Buck89!
    4.13/5 rDev -2.8%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Thank you Buck89 for this
    16 oz can, dated 6/10/20, poured into a pint glass

A- A hazy golden orange with a small white head.

S- Dank, citrus, tropical fruits, stone fruits, wet grass.

T- Dank, citrus, some tropical fruits, touch of stone fruits, hints of wet grass, a little floral, faint hints of malt sweetness.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- A little dank for a NEIPA, but I enjoy that part. The wet grass and stone fruit flavors kind of bring this beer down but not to a point that I don’t enjoy it.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 24 others like this.
  17. beergoot

beergoot Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,596) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado

Yeah, I want to apologize for that non-CO / southwest beer, but I figure you would understand...:stuck_out_tongue:

ChicagoJ, Roguer, FBarber and 4 others like this.
  18. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,017) Oct 4, 2017 Germany

[​IMG]

Weiherer Hopfenweizen, a Hefeweizen by German Brewery Kundmüller (5.2% ABV).

Pours a cloudy, almost hazy, deep golden amber coloration with a large, fluffy, lasting head and slightly visible carbonation. Smells of biscuity malt and equally strong yeast esters of banana and clove and citrus notes of grapefruit and lemongrass.

Taste follows the nose, with a great balance of biscuity malt and equally strong notes of yeast esters and citrus hops, with notes of banana, clove, grapefruit, lemongrass and perhaps just a hint of papaya as well. Finishes with a light bitterness and some estery yeast and citrus hops lingering in the aftertaste. Full mouthfeel with a medium body and medium/strong carbonation.

Quite a nice hoppy Hefeweizen that manages a great balance of equally distinct estery yeast and citrus hop notes, with just a touch of tropical fruit coming through as well, thus staying true to its Hefeweizen roots while adding quite a spritzy and refreshing element that never feels too overbearing though. Very nice, full mouthfeel as well, although perhaps just a tad overcarbonated for my personal taste.

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 25 others like this.
  19. SawDog505

SawDog505 Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,666) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 oz Teku glass. Not sure when it was canned. Pours a hazy orange with a two finger sticky white head that leaves a bunch of thin lace. 4.5

Smell passionfruit, tangerine, apricot, lemon, blueberry, and grapefruit ring. 4.25

Taste follows passionfruit, tangerine, lemon, blueberry, lemon, and mild grapefruit. 4.25

Mouthfeel is pretty big, gentle carbonation, a tad sticky not dry, and at 8% easy drinking. 4.5

Overall this is excellent. Equilibrium Brewery and Bonfire Fan Page well done and thanks Timothy Dutile for this can. 4.5

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 22 others like this.
  20. ichorNet

ichorNet Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts

Howdy NBS. Few new ones today. Starting off with a nice small one. Photon by Equilibrium. Friday evening, I reviewed this beer's big brother, mc². It was definitely pretty good but not something I'd want to drink more than one of in a session. Heaaaavy body and thick flavors with a higher ABV will do that. This is a more manageable 4.8% ABV.

[​IMG]

Pours similarly to mc² with a deeper-than-expected, opaque body of orange honeyed looking liquid topped off with a retentive but thin-ish head of eggshell-white foam. Spotty lace and solid legs. Not an amazing pour, and it doesn't... look like it's gonna be any more "crushable" than its brother beer. Hmm.

The nose is, well, also similar to mc². Super mango and pineapple forward with some fresh-cut grassiness and the tiniest bit of resin. A bit of melon and orchard fruit as well. Pretty juicy and fairly bright smelling, but with a depth to it that leads to me to believe it still won't really be something to drink quickly or easily.

More melon and berry on the tongue than I expected from the tropical-biased nose, though some mango and pineapple are present here with a touch of papaya. Tangerine and a little grapefruit rind in the finish, with a semi-long-lasting bitterness. Good, round flavor with a moderate biscuity malt, but, again, too heavy for my taste, especially in a sub-5% beer. Carbonation doesn't feel well-rounded either, it's just too thick for me personally. I honestly probably wouldn't seek this one out again, and, even though mc² was something I rated well, it's still likely a one-and-done as well. However, I had Fluctuation last night and that was more up my alley. I'm getting picky with NEIPAs/hazy pale ales, mostly because there are just so many out there, I feel like I can't afford to be like "ya they're all good," even though there tend to be a lot of similarities between them. Back soon with a new fruited sour. Cheers NBS!

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 23 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.