Online Tasting: Oktoberfest! (September 19-20, 2020) - Tasting Thread

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by TongoRad, Sep 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manta200

Manta200 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,200) Apr 14, 2018 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I would really like to try this one!!!

TheGent, MacMalt, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  2. adrock314

adrock314 Pooh-Bah (1,939) Apr 14, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Lots of great looking pours in this thread! Thanks to @TongoRad for organizing :+1:. I'm starting with the ubiquitous Samuel Adams Octoberfest. I actually don't think I've had one of these for a few years.
    [​IMG]

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a dark orange with a fluffy head.

Sweet malt aroma with hints of grassy, herbal hops. Overall the nose is a little subdued.

Flavor mirrors scent. Waves of sweetish malty goodness. Caramel. A little nuttiness. Brown bread. Mild hop bitterness holds it all together and prevents a cloying mess. Finishes sweet with a lingering honey-like aftertaste.

Full-bodied with zippy carbonation.

Overall I think it's a nice representation of the Märzen version of the style.

Glider, JMN44, AlcahueteJ and 30 others like this.
  3. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

[​IMG]
    This will be my only Märzen/Oktoberfest in this online tasting, as it's pretty much the only one I drink anymore. Plenty of others are probably just as good, some are probably better; but for me this one defines the style. And for just $2.99 for a 500mL bottle (it's usually $3.49 or $3.99), I made sure to stock up as soon as I saw them at this price.

There's nothing I don't love about this beer. It's beautiful in my glass—such a lovely, crystal clear amber. Carbonation is perfect. The aroma of clean, rich, fruity malt, with just a hint of spice, is enticing. The taste—that solid malt backbone balanced by subtle, delicate Old World hops—and then the world-class drinkability, how it goes down so easy and you just want to drink another, and then another. Let alone how well this goes with food, it pairs well with almost everything. Man, there's just something about this beer. It's autumn in a glass.

Glider, AlcahueteJ, TheGent and 34 others like this.
  4. MacMalt

MacMalt Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,658) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think this is the first time they've canned it. They don't widely distribute. I've bought a couple of packs at the Liquor Outlet in Boonton. I should go to the brewery more often - it's only about a half hour away. Do they distro in Bergen County?

schteve, TheGent, Jacobier10 and 3 others like this.
  5. jonphisher

jonphisher Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

same for us in south jersey. Impossible to ever get their beer down here. The brewery would be a hike at about an hour and a half for me. Someday...

6. Beer-A-Lot

Beer-A-Lot Pooh-Bah (1,937) Oct 4, 2012 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society

Aggravated that Arsenal gave up equalizer just before half, but plenty of football to play.

[​IMG]

A bit lighter than some Marzens, but very tasty nevertheless. Nice creamy head. Almost fruity, yet a hint of dryness and bitterness, which I like. So easy drinking. Perfect beer to go with fish, cheese, or other lighter foods. Not surprising that this is satisfying considering the brewery.

TheGent, MNAle, MacMalt and 6 others like this.
  7. jonphisher

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

what beer is it? No image visible

TheGent, StoutElk_92 and GreenBayBA like this.
  8. keithmurray

keithmurray Pooh-Bah (2,943) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society

[​IMG]

I'm done with soccer duties for today. Now starting off with this one : Benediktiner Festbier. I missed out on this one last year, but heard so many good things about it, I had to try it for myself.

Appearance (4) - golden colored body with white head

Smell - (3.75) malts, hint of apple, hint of toffee

Taste (4) - toasted grain, sweet malts, biscuit, hint of toffee, slight bit of cooked apple

Mouthfeel (3.75)- medium bodied, medium carbonation, slight sweetness upfront from the malts, little bit of toffee, finish has the slightest of hop bite, but something about it comes off as slightly unrefined

Overall (4) - I bumped the overall score up to '4' based on the price point of this beer. $5.99/4 pk of 16.9 oz cans? I'll sign up for that every Oktoberfest season. i think that this is a good beer in the "festbier' style. I think of this as Weihenstephaner's less refined little brother. Certainly worth drinking and at the price point, I would gladly buy again

Glider, AlcahueteJ, TheGent and 28 others like this.
  9. seakayak

seakayak Pooh-Bah (1,757) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Happy Oktoberfest, BA's!

[​IMG]

Ayinger Oktober Fest-Marzen, 5.8%

Look: Dark copper with a thick creamy head, clings in sheets.
    Smell: Caramelized and toasty sweet malts, fruity yeast aromas.
    Taste: German dark-wheat bread, fruity hops and spice, sweetness.
    Feel: Smooth and chewy, loose and slippery.
    Overall: An outstanding Fest-Marzen that I highly recommend.

Prost!

Glider, AlcahueteJ, TheGent and 32 others like this.
  10. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They used to but it's been about 5 years since I've even seen any, so probably no at this point.

I'd probably a regular consumer of Ink if they did.

ChicagoJ, TheGent and GreenBayBA like this.
  11. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Grand Pooh-Bah (4,073) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Not a new beer for me, but one of my favorites and new to me from a bottle, so here it goes.

Ayinger Oktober Fest-Marzen

[​IMG]

The primary difference between today's beer and my original draft pour is I did not note the complex hop floral aroma noted in my OG review. Primarily sweet caramel and bread today. Carbonation lighter as well. This beer was bottled on the 105th day of the year.

It's still an overall very good beer, but I'd rate it a rung lower if this was my first go. I guess this is why I have limited European bottle purchases for non lambics/belgian offerings.

One more Oktoberfest left, saving for Sunday.

Glider, AlcahueteJ, TheGent and 31 others like this.
  12. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As many others agree, I believe that this is the premier Oktoberfest bier! It has such a beautiful color, smell, flavor, mouthfeel, and overall package! I believe in the old adage: beer before burgers, you're in the clear; burgers and beer, and bratwursts, then beer, you're in the clear!

#112 GreenBayBA, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  13. highdesertdrinker

highdesertdrinker Pooh-Bah (2,492) Nov 5, 2012 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I wanted to wait until 2 to drink, but couldn’t wait that long for lunch! A nice brew, somewhere between the Weihenstephaner and Paulaner on the spectrum for me and the color was a little surprising but it’s the type of beer that you could down a few of with no problem whatsoever. Might have to get a sixer next time to give it a better look since I always think I learn a lot more on the second one after I’ve already had it and know what to expect and I’m sure my son would take a. couple off my hands. Good job, Bitburger!
    [​IMG]

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a rich golden color with a little head, a little hazy. Smells grainy, with biscuit malt, some lemon, and noble hops. Tastes crisp, clean, it has those Bitburger characteristics. Crackery malt, a little citrus, and a little bitterness from the hops. The mouth feel is pretty much spot on as it’s not too thin nor thick. This is one that I could drink at a festival all day and be happy. It’s an easy drinker with the abv (6.2) a little higher than it’s contemporaries. Solid beer, Prost!

14. meanmutt

meanmutt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,679) Feb 6, 2012 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Another 50West Vienermobile with a cheese stuffed pretzel from the local butcher shop that I just pulled out of the oven...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Prost!

Glider, AlcahueteJ, TheGent and 26 others like this.
  15. Manta200

Manta200 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,200) Apr 14, 2018 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I can't compete with meanmutt on the stein but how about this...
    Theresa's Meadow (Theresienwiese in Munich) from HighGrain Brewing in Cincinnati. The brew master learned his craft at König Ludwig (the original Oktoberfest dude) Brewery in Munich. Poured into a 30th anniversary Oktoberfest Zinzinnati stein. I must have been there in 2006...
    [​IMG]

HighGrain is becoming one of my favorite Cincinnati locals. All their beers are good and this one is no exception.

Prost BA!

#115 Manta200, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Glider, AlcahueteJ, TheGent and 25 others like this.
  16. Pinz412

Pinz412 Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Greetings, all! Thanks to @TongoRad for putting this together. This is another tasting that brings me out of my wheelhouse, but as always up I'm for sampling some classics and also a local along the way. The first two beers are new to me while being some of the oldest brewed beers on the planet.

I started the day with Weihenstephaner's Festbier. It poured an immaculately clear golden straw color with a large pillowy white head. The head left behind a good deal of lacing and the carbonation flowed freely and amply. The aroma was of a crackery/bready malt bill with some minimal grassy hop characteristics. I enjoyed the balance of the complex malt and some bitterness of the hops. It had a crisp and dry finish and kept me coming back for more. It was infinitely drinkable as I jotted in my notebook.
    [​IMG]

Round 2 was Hacker Pschorr's Oktoberfest Marzen, and it's hard to believe that these two beers are in the same category. This beer poured a richer amber color with a denser white head. The carbonation was much less by comparison, but didn't suffer from a lack of bubbles. The aroma was bready, but leaned into a yeastier territory. I noticed a much more complex malt bill and almost no hop qualities in this marzen. The flavors also packed greater spice and peppery bite while also being sweeter and lingering on the palate longer. There was a flavor on the finish that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Another new to me and quite enjoyable beer. Overall, I think I'd give the nod to Weihenstephaner's Festbier thus far. Looking forward to having another couple this weekend. :beers:
    [​IMG]

AlcahueteJ, TheGent, Reef and 31 others like this.
  17. MacMalt

MacMalt Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,658) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I like your analysis. I bought a single and I always wonder whether it's been properly refrigerated. Maybe my can lost some of the hoppiness. I agree with you than it's not a typical Festbier. Did you notice that the taste reflects Carton's usual Kolsch yeast? To me, it tasted like a Carton beer.

TheGent, FBarber, TongoRad and 3 others like this.
  18. officerbill

officerbill Pooh-Bah (2,228) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Back with a Paulaner Oktoberfest.
    Clear dark straw color with a long lasting, foamy white head. Crackers with a dash of lemon, medium-full body, and a clean dry finish.
    Not necessarily an all day beer, but very nicely done.
    [​IMG]

AlcahueteJ, TheGent, Reef and 30 others like this.
  19. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Maven (1,475) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Starting off with Bell’s Oktoberfest, a new beer for me. Appearance puts it more in the märzen camp. Poured with a one finger head that receded to a thin cap. As I drink it down, ample lacing is deposited on the sides of the mug. Nose is doughy, with a subtle mineral quality. Those notes are present on the tongue as well, with an additional subtle spiciness. Sweetness is minimal and peripheral. It’s a bit crisper overall, and dryer on the finish than most import märzens, more like a ‘festbier/weisn’. So kind of a hybrid with regard to style. But I’m really liking it. No flaws, and plenty of reasons to want to drink more than one. 3.85
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AlcahueteJ, TheGent, Reef and 28 others like this.
  20. jonphisher

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

it definitely tasted carton like to me to. That’s what I loved about it. It was like their own unique take on something. Super enjoyable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.