Interested in BA Scores for past 1 or 2 years only

Talk Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by bwarner2015, Oct 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwarner2015

bwarner2015 Crusader (407) Mar 25, 2016 Connecticut

Hi All,
    I recall some discussions of this over the years, but nothing really ever came of it. I think it would be cool if BA offered a "recent" BA score beer that uses only ratings from the past year (or 2) to calculate a BA Score, as well as providing a BA score for the lifetime of the beer. It would be interesting to see how BA Scores for classic beers may or may not have changed. Certain beers that may have scored a 95-100, say 5-8 years ago, may not score so high now, but their thousands of high reviews back in the day prop up their score now. Or vice versa.. Maybe there are classic beers that would score higher in recent years than they did 5-10 years ago. This seems it could be a simple formula added to the proprietary BA Score calculator that only considers the ratings from the last 365 or 730 days. Does anyone else have interest in this at all, or can anyone point me in the direction on this site that may have discussions on this topic already? Thanks!

2. Celtics76

Celtics76 Pooh-Bah (1,769) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society

I like this idea. New beers/styles can create hype and inflate scores initially before things settle down. I guess I'm mainly thinking of NEIPA. Conversely, I think the classic beers like SN Pale Ale probably rate lower now vs. 7-8 years ago. Perhaps have a "recent" score and "legacy" score?

3. cid71

cid71 Zealot (590) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

Agree completely. I've gotten beers i never had access to before that are high 90s and they've been good but not great. But were definitely old school (ie zombie dust)

bwarner2015 and puck1225 like this.
  4. beer_beer

beer_beer Pooh-Bah (2,162) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Really fresh scores are skimming the latest 10-30 ratings. Not the same of course as proper statistics. Maybe eyeballing the same way how they looked five years ago.

bwarner2015 and Junior like this.
  5. Kozaka

Kozaka Maven (1,464) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

Would it be possible to break out rating by year posted and still have the aggregate at the top?

bwarner2015 likes this.
  6. ovaltine

ovaltine Grand Pooh-Bah (5,911) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

All the ratings/reviews for beers come up for me in descending order, with the newest first, so it's pretty easy to scan down the page and get a general sense of the more recent ratings vs the overall score for the beer.

You may want to provide some ratings/reviews yourself to add to the scores listed here. It takes a village .....

7. smbslt

smbslt Pooh-Bah (1,866) Dec 26, 2010 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good idea but - if that well-worn adage, 'Last year's was better' (how many hits would that phrase get in the review database) is true, we would then of course see all scores tending toward zero (with selling out to a larger brewer hastening the descent).

I don't know how hard it would be to have user controlled filters but I have wondered if it was personally parsed would it limit one from the flyers and chances that can turn out to be ones you were glad you tried.

bwarner2015 and mikeinportc like this.
  8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

9. bwarner2015

Thanks, yes I've definitely scrolled down the page to check out recent ratings, and it does provide a good indication in comparison to the overall BA Score, but as you know it's not exactly the same because of the secret and proprietary way that BA calculates the Score.
    And YES, I know I don't have many ratings, but I love BA. I chalk it up to laziness. I'll work on that. :-)

ovaltine and Rug like this.
  10. bwarner2015

11. bsp77

bsp77 Pooh-Bah (2,185) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

This may sound elitist, but one potential problem is that most of the top experienced reviewers had already reviewed anything that has been around for awhile many years ago. So older beers will mostly have newer, less experienced reviewers while new beers will have a proper mix. People newer to expanding their beer knowledge simply don't know as much. I certainly didn't understand many styles when I was getting started.

12. bwarner2015

Coincidentally, Zombie Dust was the latest beer I've had that made me want to post this thread. We just got it here in CT. I had it about 5 years ago, and it blew me away. Now, although it is still a delicious pale ale, it doesn't seem to "live up" to the 100 score on BA. Of course palates change, and expectations change, which is why I'd like to see a "recent" BA Score compared to overall BA Score. It's a statistical thing.. A baseball player may be a lifetime .330 hitter, but that doesn't tell you what he's batting the last two years.

bubseymour, ChicagoJ and Rug like this.
  13. MNAle

MNAle Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Why don't we just put all BA stouts, NEIPAs, and pastry stouts at the top of the list can call it a day?

#13 MNAle, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    ChicagoJ, REVZEB, officerbill and 2 others like this.
  14. beer_beer

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sometimes "the same" beer also gradually changes for the better. That must be the case when I read some old awful NA reviews.

15. bwarner2015

Can you explain what you mean or where to find "really fresh scores"?

16. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Pooh-Bah (2,535) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

I like it the way it is. Beers like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale should have a high score that reflects its legacy. Just because older beers don’t reflect the current trends and hype doesn’t mean they are lesser beers then they were years past. If you want less data for more trendy beers use untapped for ratings.

personally I don’t use the ratings. I like to look at the tasting notes and the history of the reviewer as my guide if I debating on buying a beer.

17. beer_beer

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Click a beer, and get the latest ratings (uncheck Hide Ratings). Not exactly "SCORE", but anyway.

bwarner2015 likes this.
  18. bwarner2015

Yes, I agree with you, the classic beers with high ratings have earned their scores over many years of quality and consistency.. Some classics (I'll use SNPA as you did) might rate higher now, based on sheer respect of what they've been able to consistently produce over the last 40 years, and perhaps a longing by a reviewer to get back to solid, well executed beer with no gimmicks. I am not looking for less data as you said... I am looking for more data, here on BA. Statistics are fun! This is exactly what I was looking for in my post. I wanted to see if other BA'ers had interest in this. I'll put you down as a "no". :-) Thanks!

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  19. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Pooh-Bah (2,535) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

less data is the wrong term. I meant more current ratings. While Untappd has been around more than a few years legacy beers don’t have decades of ratings. Untappd on just a pure ratings perspective it follows the current market from a ratings perspective.

it would be interesting and could be good for some to see a variety of years but I personally wouldn’t use it.

bwarner2015 likes this.
  20. officerbill

officerbill Pooh-Bah (2,228) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I don't really pay attention to the BA Score. To me it is more like a shelf tag, akin to those for wines (ABC Zinfandel is a 95 from Wine Spectator - DEF NEIPA is a 95 from Beer Advocate), and I remember seeing BA scores on shelves in the past; they are useful, but not overly informative. I ignore the number-only ratings for the same reason.

The reviews are in chronological order so looking at the overall and then skimming through the latest half dozen or so usually provides the information you need to make an informed purchase.
    BTW post your review of Zombie Dust. As mentioned above “it takes a family”, if ZD doesn't deserve a 100 leave a review showing why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.