Unibroue opinions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rolltide8425, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mintjellie

mintjellie Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2005 Canada (ON)

Shhhh - don't let the real world ruin peoples beliefs that any micro bought out by an industrial conglomerate will be ruined.

2. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

I've only had Terrible but I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to trying some other styles.

3. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Savant (1,187) Oct 24, 2012 Canada (BC)

I enjoyed my last Unibroue (the 17 Grand Reserve) more than I enjoyed my last Westvleteren (XII from brick) ... if that says anything.

keithmurray likes this.
  4. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2010 Washington

This brewery carries my least favorite yeast profile. With the sole exception of Quelque Chose, I have yet to enjoy their beer.

5. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Pooh-Bah (1,611) May 2, 2010 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

That was one of the few new beers that blew my mind this year. I went back to the store and bought 3 more the next day.

6. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

I bought a 6 pack sampler and had no idea what I was buying. I listed them by ranking and drank them in reverse order. The apple and one other one were pretty bad. Maudite, Don de Dieu, and Trois Pistoles are as good as it comes for their respectives styles.

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Yeah, I don't know what it is about their beers, but I just love them. Well, most of them.

8. CelticAleMan

CelticAleMan Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 California

Probably the yeast. That's what I think makes their beers so distinctive and amazing. Unibroue has a distinctive flavor. I have been drinking Unibroue beers since 1999 and they seem to be exactly the same as they were in 1999. You can't beat the quality for that price, either. Oh yeah, I am a huge Trois Pistoles and La Fin du Monde fan, and have been so for a long time. Along with Chimay, they are probably the reason why I fell in love with craft beers.

Hanzo likes this.
  9. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Canada (QC)

Not a new beer, they are just hyping La Fin du Monde for the "end of the world".

10. mintjellie

If you love Unibroue and Dieu Du Ciel, you should check out Microbrasserie Charlevoix and Le Trois Mousqetaires.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2807/?sort=avgD&view=beers

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11056/?sort=avgD&view=beers

11. PetieP

PetieP Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2011 Pennsylvania

Last year, I went to Montreal for a Rasslin' show, on our way back we thought we'd stop at the Unibroue Brewery to grab a tour or a bottle or something unique...to no avail. No tours, no public sales, nothing. Its just a bottling plant, which is fine, it was just a bummer. Still though, love their beer.

12. JBogan

JBogan Pooh-Bah (1,837) Jul 15, 2007 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Not a big fan of their beers, probably due to a "chalky" flavor I get from their yeast. Not saying they make bad beers, just that I'm not crazy about them.

13. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Maven (1,389) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado
    Trader

I agree that they don't get enough love. It's been mentioned that pretty much everything they brew is awesome. They do have some pretty similar yeast characteristics between many or most of their beers, but it is an extremely fruity, but dry yeast, and serves all of the styles well. These were some of the first belgian beers i really got into, and I love their packaging as well. Such cool artwork. 7+ years later after trying them, I'd still say Maudite and Terrible are two of my favorite beers, with many others being close as well.

14. Ricelikesbeer

Trader

That doesn't surprise me. Despite their greatness, they don't seem extremely out there in the public. There's not a lot of info about their beers anywhere out there (I've searched a few times for their recipes without success.) and they dont' advertise much, especially in the states.

15. Ricelikesbeer

Trader

I agree with ya, I've had Ephemere, and to me it is the one beer they brew that I wouldn't buy again.

16. mintjellie

Don't a lot of the Belgian breweries use the same yeasts for all their beers? Like, doesn't Westmalle for example, have a house yeast strain it uses in everything? Chimay? Achel? How many of the trappist breweries use a different yeast for every beer they make? I could see the ones that make a witbier using a different strain for it, but otherwise, I somehow doubt it.

17. keithmurray

keithmurray Pooh-Bah (2,943) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society

Has anyone here had Raftman? I had a bottle of it a couple of years ago, but it had a weird metallic taste to it. I want to know people's opinion of it, since I am willing to give it another shot should I see it just because of how stellar Unibroue's other beers are.

18. dcs1548

dcs1548 Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2011 Virginia

Everything I've had from them has been great and their prices are great for Belgian beers. I even picked up a their La Fin Du Monde gift set (can't beat $10.99 for a bomber and Unibroue glass).

19. rodrigueZflyingf0x

rodrigueZflyingf0x Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2012 Canada (BC)

Raftman is alright, but really doesn't measure up to a lot of their other offerings. I doubt your second impression would differ much from your first -- just make sure you've had all the staples like Trois Pistoles, La Fin Du Monde, Maudite, 17, Terrible, etc...:grinning:

20. BillieWest

BillieWest Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2012

Agreed. La Fin du Monde gets a lot of attention, but Maudite has a more complex, tasty profile in my opinion, and really shows their talent as a brewery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.