NYC (and suburbs/exurbs) Shops, Events, Interesting Finds, and General Visiting FAQ (2021)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by rozzom, Jan 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guinness77

guinness77 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,480) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Wow. The Ginger Man is closed? I was always a RnH type guy as opposed to GM but just finding this out is so sad. My 2 go-tos for years in Midtown both closed for good just sucks. Can’t tell you how many times my after-work scuzzy ass sat or stood between all the suits.

Xerlic, hops_for_thought and zid like this.
  2. Xerlic

Xerlic Maven (1,374) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Trader

Ginger Man became our go-to spot after RnH shuttered up. Grand Delancey is amazing, but sometimes you just want to grab an after work beer in midtown and stumble back to Grand Central to go home.

guinness77 and Sheppard like this.
  3. guinness77

Pooh-Bah Society

I think sometimes how many of us must have been hanging out in some of these places at the same time.

4. uuudar

uuudar Devotee (328) Oct 19, 2013 New York
    Trader

Last I heard was still a landlord dispute and they are mostly running out of Under the Volcano across the street, with certain possibility of perm closure at ginger

5. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,617) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

6. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Maven (1,264) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

Anyone want to have a meet up at Torst at noon for the anniversary and maybe venture to Grimm after (I need to pick up No Hands Now)

algebeeric_topology and Feaor like this.
  7. Feaor

Feaor Pundit (922) Jul 9, 2017 New York

I would be down, I absolutely love Fou Foune so I would never say no to a chance to drink some.

Sheppard and SpinSamzo like this.
  8. SpinSamzo

Trader

2nd part of tap list was just posted. Looks like a good assortment!

9. Feaor

Feaor Pundit (922) Jul 9, 2017 New York

Yea tap list and bottle pours seem pretty sick, unfortunately my plans for today got moved to tomorrow so I won't be able to attend anymore :slight_frown:

10. SpinSamzo

Trader

How do I anti-like a post?

11. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Savant (1,034) Feb 17, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

*Thumbs down*

?

12. HoHoHomer

HoHoHomer Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2021

Was at the Torst party last night - amazing beer list, but seemed like the food was maybe not as polished as in the past? Anyone have any insight/intel - was there a change in chefs? With the GM leaving and the food maybe slipping, it makes me nervous about such a good place . . . am I imagining things?

13. JRAP20

JRAP20 Initiate (188) Jan 9, 2019 New York

Don’t have any insider info to offer, but can confirm the last few times I went the food was really underwhelming. Still had fancy presentation but it was frankly nowhere near as good as in years past.

hops_for_thought likes this.
  14. frozyn

frozyn Maven (1,411) May 16, 2015 New York
    Trader

15. guinness77

Pooh-Bah Society

My daughter is playing in a preseason footie scrimmage at Purchase on Labor Day weekend. Which DeCicco’s location is better in your opinions: Harrison, Larchmont or Pelham?

16. guinness77

Pooh-Bah Society

Does anyone know who the Non Sequitur Insta story is about?

17. HoHoHomer

HoHoHomer Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2021

Thanks - The current chef, I think, is a guy named Jared who has been turning out absolutely fantastic food, always thoughtful and elevated without being out of place at a bar. Really great stuff and so good to accompany the beer there. One of the few places I'm aware of where you can get such excellent food paired with fantastic beers in NYC. So hoping I am just imagining things.

Separate but related - what do folks like, if anything, for great food and great beer in the city? Lupulo was a good one but sadly closed a couple of years back. Not sure what else, if I am missing anything.

18. rozzom

rozzom Pooh-Bah (2,534) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

This is just an educated guess as I haven’t been to any of those three, but on their website - out of those three - Larchmont looks like the only one listed under their “what’s on tap” section. So maybe implies they may have more going on beer-wise (that said, that menu hasn’t been updated in months and only shows BCBS). Armonk is only 10 mins north of Purchase and just off 684, if you want to tack on 20 mins in return for some certainty. Not quite up there with Somers (which I think you’ve been to or maybe I’m imagining that), but still definitely solid.

Presumably the founder unless I missed some earlier context?

guinness77 likes this.
  19. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Savant (1,170) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Has anyone been to Beer Run NYC 19th and 7th. Heading to NYC next week staying in the area. Was wondering if anyone had any info on it.

20. pinyin

pinyin Savant (1,065) Sep 19, 2013 New York

Solid spot, albeit very small. Draft list is above average (Fox Farm, Torch and Crown, and quite a few other CT breweries). Their can selection is great (Other Half, Finback, Grimm, Interboro, Hudson Valley, EQ, Drowned Lands, etc..). Milk and Hops two blocks over on 9th tends to be the opposite: larger seating capacity, better draft list, but their cans are sometimes dated and not as expanse in terms of selection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.