Thanksgiving Beer Lineup (2021)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beer_Economicus, Nov 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Pooh-Bah (2,472) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This is always a fun thread each year.

Do you have a lineup of beer lined up for the holiday or holiday weekend? Have specific pairings for courses/meals? Share it all with us.

Reminder: Please join us for the Bourbon County Tasting going on from Thursday, Thanksgiving day through Sunday (25 - 28 November 2021). Thread will be pinned once posted.

@FBarber

ATL6245, Riff, Electros and 13 others like this.
  2. Spade

Spade Pooh-Bah (2,046) Mar 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I have a bottle of Lancaster Baked pumpkin ale for Thanksgiving dinner and a few bottles of Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot for the 5-day break. Will also start mixing in some Christmas ales as the mood hits.

3. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanksgiving beer pairing is always my favorite and I enjoy putting a lot of time and thought into it. I think maybe I’ll go out and splurge on an Oxbow funky beer finally. Still haven’t pulled the trigger on one because of the price but there are several sitting on the top shelf at my favorite beer store for the last year collecting dust. I have a good selection of high ABV beers in the cellar but I generally don’t like the big beers with a meal. Lighter classic British ales, German lagers and funky beers seem to pair best with Turkey gravy and the high carb fixings. I drink a lot of IPAs so I’m looking to mix it up some.

4. DCH

DCH Pundit (955) Jun 12, 2013 New York

A case of Yuengling and Miller High Life are usually in the fridge around Thanksgiving. Both pair well with the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, even the dessert! Maybe I’ll put a few kostritzers aside for the Bills game later that night:sunglasses:

ATL6245, Amendm, NickyPogs and 10 others like this.
  5. Giantspace

Giantspace Pooh-Bah (2,879) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Celebration, brown ales and a sour or two. Maybe a high ABV stout later in the night.

Enjoy

6. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I had a sour with the T-Day dinner 5-6 years ago and discovered that the tartness cuts right through all of the fat associated with a turkey and all of the rich trimmings. I've had a sour every year since then and will do so again this year. I have something in the cellar that will be chosen for the feast. Probably no beer before or after dinner since I don't drink so much anymore.

ATL6245, Bouleboubier, Riff and 15 others like this.
  7. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Pooh-Bah (2,397) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm bringing some Mad Elf, Yuengling Hershey's Porter, and a Utopias WWS for the host. Already at my Thanksgiving location is some Aventinus, Southern Tier 2XMAS, VA Beer Co Evil Santa, Alewerks Coffeehouse... And more Mad Elf.

Riff, Amendm, TCgenny and 12 others like this.
  8. JSullivan

JSullivan Zealot (691) Aug 18, 2010 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

Festbier and hard cider from locally pressed apples will be on tap. Apple wine, mead, a
    raspberry mead (melomel) and Belgian quad in bottles, depending on what people want. .Will also have wine (not made by me) and absinthe if things get serious.

Riff, Roy_Hobbs, Amendm and 14 others like this.
  9. dcotom

dcotom Grand Pooh-Bah (5,503) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I have a grisette at the ready. I'm on call Thanksgiving Day and I work the weekend, so no alcohol. I'll get to it eventually, though, maybe with a rack of ribs on Monday.

Roy_Hobbs, Amendm, TCgenny and 8 others like this.
  10. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Pooh-Bah (1,615) Nov 18, 2008 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Dogfish Head 90 minute
    Sierra Nevada Imperial Haze
    New Belgium Future Hop IPA
    Molson Golden
    NB Wild Ride 30th Anniversary Amber
    Hamm's Lager

Roy_Hobbs, Amendm, TCgenny and 11 others like this.
  11. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Maven (1,437) Apr 30, 2007 Florida
    Society

1 or 2 Lord Hobo Cranberry Lagers to start the day. Mayflower Thanksgiving Ale will lead into meal. I usually switch to wine at dinner. After, up in the air. Celebration or maybe a dram of Bruichladdich 2011 Islay Barley.

12. officerbill

officerbill Pooh-Bah (2,228) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Thanksgiving dinner (430 pm) is at my SiL's house this year. I have no idea what will be served with the turkey so I'll just pick a up a nice Italian rosé for dinner and have an Expedition Anniversary to wind down when I get home. I have to be at work at 745 Friday morning so it will be a light day.

ATL6245, Riff, Roy_Hobbs and 9 others like this.
  13. Resistance88

Resistance88 Pooh-Bah (2,796) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Fremont Spice Wars

Riff, Amendm, AlexIrigoyen and 6 others like this.
  14. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Zealot (706) Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey

I make a keg of cider every year. Just tapped it today. Also plan to open a bottle of 3 Fonteinen that I've been sitting on.

Sheppard, Amendm, TCgenny and 12 others like this.
  15. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Grand Pooh-Bah (3,274) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Not sure what my turkey day plans are. Regardless I'll be finishing up the few festbiers that are straggling, and have a smoked porter lined up as well. Probably going to finish things off with wendigo.

Riff, Amendm, TCgenny and 6 others like this.
  16. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Pooh-Bah (2,472) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I am currently debating between opening my remaining two, or having some wine. Wife and I will have a sort of free-flow form when it comes to watching our daughter at my fathers (that is, sometimes it is one of us, sometimes the other, and we are both kind of just paying attention to what the other is doing). She will have wine. If she is having wine, I know my father will open a good bottle. It will be hard to turn down. On the other hand, those beers seem like they would pair beautifully with dinner.

Riff, Amendm, TCgenny and 4 others like this.
  17. Detour12

Detour12 Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2017 Massachusetts

I got some Sam Adams Boston lager! Should pair good with Turkey

JimKal, ATL6245, Riff and 10 others like this.
  18. piggy_rulz

piggy_rulz Aspirant (263) Dec 4, 2019 Missouri

For Bears game it’s Civil Life Burton on Holt and Sierra Nevada Celebration.

To “cut” the turkey a Side Project Bruin or Kriek.

Hair of the Dog Matt for later!

Bearssssssssss!

Riff, Amendm, AlexIrigoyen and 9 others like this.
  19. butterygold

butterygold Devotee (331) May 12, 2020 Spain

We have a strange Thanksgiving here and we do 3 different dinners (great for the waistline!)

This year: homebrewed West Coast IPA and pumpkin beer to start (later homebrew cranberry sour, but it may not be ready until dinner #3). I like to start with a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, but couldn't get one this time. Like Beer_Economicus said, if the in-laws bust out a nice bottle of wine, it's hard to say no to that at dinner. Our family tradition is to do gin and tonics before dessert, and depending on comfort level I may do a Founders Backwoods Bastard or KBS almost like a fireside brandy.

Have a good T-day whatever your lineup may be!

#19 butterygold, Nov 22, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    Riff, Amendm, BMBCLT and 8 others like this.
  20. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Grand Pooh-Bah (3,593) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I will be cooking my tradtional Thanksgiving on Saturday this year, as my daughter and her fiance will be coming up from Columbus that day;
    I may bust out some sours also, my daughter and I both enjoy and Eric likes hoppy, so some IPA's will be on the table as well....
    Have a nice French Bordeaux and 10 year old Port as well.....should be a nice day!

ATL6245, Riff, Amendm and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.