Have you ever had a beer with someone famous?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NeroFiddled, Jun 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mactrail

mactrail Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,415) Mar 24, 2009 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I can’t guess how many thousands of people have had a beer with John Hickenlooper-- but I was in the Wynkoop in Denver one night when he came in the bar with a photographer. I spoke to him and said I wanted to introduce him to a guy I had just met, Chris Black. Chris was just up from Texas scouting out Denver for what would become his Falling Rock Taphouse. John was very kind, encouraging Chris and saying that the more beer places the better in lower downtown. He even brought out a couple of swanky bombers for a welcome present.

Time passed but Chris Black became good friends with Hickenlooper, who went on to become Mayor of Denver, the Governor of Colorado, and then U.S. Senator and presidential candidate.

Rug, Roy_Hobbs, Affinity and 7 others like this.
  2. DogbiteWilliams

DogbiteWilliams Devotee (373) Mar 28, 2015 California

Mock him if you like, but Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick have been married for over 30 years, and in Hollywood that's really saying something.

3. ericwo

ericwo Zealot (560) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I had a couple beers with Glenn Foley (former NFL quarterback) while watching an Eagles game. This was when he still played for Boston College, before he played in the NFL. That's the closest I got.

MadMadMike, Amendm, woemad and 2 others like this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

And the classic photo of Andre the Giant with a beer can in his hand:

[​IMG]

Cheers!

5. Arminius757

Arminius757 Zealot (548) Aug 29, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

Famous in the world of homebrewing sure. When Homebrew Con came to Providence, my club was pouring beer for club night. I brewed a historical beer (Meersburger Bier) and the one and only Ron Pattinson stopped by for a pour. Had a chance to chat about the beer and he enyoed it!

Amendm, JackHorzempa and PapaGoose03 like this.
  6. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Even though we had just seen them in July, we didn't really know much about them or what they would eventually become and achieve, but we knew they were a great band. They were still mostly unknown.

KentT, Amendm, woemad and 1 other person like this.
  7. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Ron is one guy I've had beers with at NHC/HBC. Very entertaining during his talks, no filters, F-bombs away!

Arminius757, Amendm and PapaGoose03 like this.
  8. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,122) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hahaha! I once met Jeff "Skunk" Baxter from the Doobie Brothers at Manayunk Brewing Company. Someone told me he was at the bar and if I went out and talked to him he'd put me on the guest list for the Rolling Stones show in NJ the next day. Two problems: I know what Skunk looks like, and the Doobie Brothers weren't opening for the Stones. He was gone by the time I told the manager and I later found out that he'd duped at least 4 other bars and restaurants that day.

AlfromPA, Rug, Roy_Hobbs and 4 others like this.
  9. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Savant (1,065) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

Bryan Quinn, guitarist of Candlebox, frequents this bar I go to quite often. Have had a few drinks with him, cool guy.

MadMadMike, Rug, Roy_Hobbs and 3 others like this.
  10. WickedBeer

WickedBeer Pooh-Bah (2,926) Sep 23, 2015 Alabama
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I’ve only shared beer with “famous” people from the beer industry (famous within the community but definitely not beyond or in popular culture, etc). Most recently I met my beer idol Cory King, the brewmaster and owner of Side Project brewing in STL (for those that have followed any of my posts in other threads, you know I have a bit of an obsession with this brewery).

I had the privilege of opening a bottle of B1-PH1 Beatification from Russian River, and then open and compare Cory’s pH1 saison side by side. We discussed provenance, inspiration, tasting notes, and just shot the shit briefly about the influence and importance of pH1 in the industry and how incredible it was to be drinking the pH1 Beatification nearly 10 years later and it be holding up as beautifully as it was. It was definitely an experience I’ll never forget.

For those unfamiliar with pH1, here’s a great article from awhile back on BA that gives a background on it.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/13571/the-rarest-barrel-ph1s-influence-and-inspiration/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roy_Hobbs, Amendm and woemad like this.
  11. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Pooh-Bah (1,945) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah

I'm good friends with Carrot Top

12. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I too have had the pleasure of speaking at length with Ron Pattinson at several HomebrewCon events and they were always interesting and enjoyable conversation. And he does like to utilize ‘colorful metaphors’ as Captain Kirk would phrase it in his discussions. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

Arminius757, NeroFiddled and Amendm like this.
  13. Chris_talarski

Chris_talarski Initiate (138) Jun 29, 2014 Illinois

Back in the day when Dennis Farina was starting acting at Steppenwolf Theater in Chicago he took several of my coworkers and I to Orphans for dinner. He was a truly wonderful guy

Amendm, donspublic, woemad and 2 others like this.
  14. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thankfully not.
    I don’t want to r the “(ours).”
    Funny, now that you mention it, I shot the shit with buddy at a bar too. The scurvy dog of all places. He came through there in his last bid for mayor (post prison). Totally forgot about that.

woemad and Amendm like this.
  15. donspublic

donspublic Grand Pooh-Bah (3,478) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Back in the late 80s they filmed the movie Steel Magnolias in Natchitoches LA. I was still farming and living there when this occurred. All these actors descended on a small town of 25,000 for almost a whole year. There was a seafood restaurant that had a pretty good bar and one night I was there with a few couple of women (friends) and Sam Shepard was sitting at a table by himself. I asked him if he would like to join us and he came over and sat with us. At that time I was still farming so I stayed away from anything having to do with acting and asked him about his place in Seguin TX (his ranch). He couldn't stop talking about it. It was a nice night and he came across as a genuinely humble person.

Reef, KentT, Roy_Hobbs and 8 others like this.
  16. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

In the summer of 1986 while living in England, I was near the Queen. HRH. The one. She was watching one of her sons play polo in Windsor Great Park. And you know when it's the Queen and not some fancy imposter.

Later that day I was at a pub in Windsor.

So, the Queen of England might have had a drink that afternoon while I was somewhere in the vicinity drinking a beer.

Does that count for anything? I mean, The Queen of England.

Edit;
    Good topic.
    So far Kevin Bacon for the win, and a whole lot of punk rockers I have never heard of.

17. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Zealot (706) Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey

A bunch of punk rockers that you've never heard of inside and outside of clubs. On the sidewalk across the street from CBGB's was best.
    Many pro wrestlers. ECW - Public Enemy, Jason, and Sandman many times. Many more of them a time or two. Lots of Japanese women wrestlers including greats like Chigusa Nagayo, Bull Nakano, Manami Toyota, Jaguar Yokota, Double Inoue, and LCO. Bunch of New Jersey indie nobodies too.

mschrei, Rug, jmdrpi and 1 other person like this.
  18. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,862) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I smoked weed with the drummer from the Coup one time behind the venue before their show. We were drinking something but I don't think he partook of anything but the smoke

Rug likes this.
  19. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Oh, and Fuzzy Zoeller, a fairly famous pro golfer who used to hang out around town when the old Greater Greensboro Open was being played. It's now The Wyndham and at its original site, Sedgefield Country Club.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  20. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Pundit (925) Jun 23, 2013 California

I have… twice!

I went to El Segundo’s Broken Skull Launch party and “cheers’ed” with the Texas Rattlesnake himself, Stone Cold Steve Austin a few times.

A few months later, I went to their Power Plant release party, and guess who was there. I wanted to offer him a beer in exchange for a Stunner, but seeing as he has a name on one of their beers, I don’t think he needs to worry about that. It was a blast!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.