What’s on the shelves? Connecticut (2022)

Discussion in 'New England' started by smutty33, Jan 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. another_beer_in_the_wall

another_beer_in_the_wall Aspirant (298) Jun 9, 2019 Rhode Island
    Trader

Focal and Heady at Big Gary’s in Putnam.

jaxon53 likes this.
  2. colby600

colby600 Pooh-Bah (1,919) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I was going to post the same as I stopped there two hours ago. 6/20 & 6/21.

3. another_beer_in_the_wall

Trader

Can’t wait to crack one open later. Unless I move to Vermont, I’m gonna buy those every time I see ‘em.

VodkaPong87 and colby600 like this.
  4. colby600

colby600 Pooh-Bah (1,919) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I bought a mixed Alchemist case with a side of Dogs & Boats and FBD. Life is good.

5. jaxon53

jaxon53 Pooh-Bah (2,181) Mar 1, 2006 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Holy shit! I live in Plainfield, and finally made it to Big Gary's.... pretty impressive. Tons of FRESH beer and probably some of the best prices around...

pbrian likes this.
  6. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Aspirant (266) Jul 17, 2005 Connecticut

I stop by the Big Gary's in Colchester but I hardly ever see 'hard to find' beers there (they have a decent selection, though). I also find beer that's past its 'enjoy by' date, there. I wonder if Big Gary focuses on his Putnam shop for the 'good stuff'? Or do I need to join a Big Gary's beer club like some other packys have in order to get info for when the 'good stuff' rolls in?

7. OffTrail

OffTrail Devotee (387) Aug 12, 2012 Washington

Can anyone recommend a good bottle shop in or near Middletown?

I visited CT Beverage Mart yesterday and was really appalled. It's a big place with a small, poorly curated selection of aged local beer. A salesman said "All our beer is fresh" before I showed him a sixpack of Hoponious Union canned on Oct 11.

Apologies for a double post. I asked this question in the "New England Beer..." Thread before noticing this more appropriate location.

sulldaddy likes this.
  8. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 Maven (1,356) Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

I'm not really familliar with Middletown, but Southington is decently close and World Wide Wine and Spirits on Queen St has a pretty large selection of all styles. The best part is that almost all the hoppy beers are kept refridgerated. They also let you split up 4-packs/6-packs (any beer in the store is fair game to grab as a single).

jaxon53 and lic217 like this.
  9. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Grand Pooh-Bah (5,080) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

There are also 2 breweries in Middletown, literally next to each other Stubborn Beauty and Forest City.
    Eli Canons is a great restaurant beer bar in town.
    Bottle shops I dont know in that area too much.
    Sorry about CT bev mart experience.

jaxon53 and lic217 like this.
  10. VodkaPong87

Trader

So weird, I thought Stubborn Beauty closed for some reason. Honestly, I wouldn't even waste time going there (no offense). Taking a little drive to Counter Weight or even Fox Farm, which isn't too far, would be a much better use of your day and money

11. OffTrail

OffTrail Devotee (387) Aug 12, 2012 Washington

Thanks for the feedback!

12. smutty33

smutty33 Pooh-Bah (2,088) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Anyone see any Fiddle Head Mastermind cans in CT. ?

13. jaxon53

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It's been two and a half months since the last post! Let's get this shit back near the top! NEWS in Brooklyn has 3 Floyds Permanent Funeral. On three... 1, 2, 3, GO!

14. another_beer_in_the_wall

Trader

Tried a few singles of Outer Light’s stuff from NEWS. Smoked cherry porter sounded great but very muted. Subduction isn’t too bad either, anything else worth seeking out? I sure see a lot of Abomination in coolers as well, nothing mind blowing so far.

Edit - anyone seeing Stout Trooper?? I need to get out to the actual brewery one of these days.

15. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Pundit (952) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

Stout Trooper at Bev Max in Danbury today so I’m sure it’s well into making the rounds.

16. sulldaddy

Stout Trooper was on the shelf in Branford at Coastal WIne and Spirits on Friday. Im sure its out and about at good beer shops. Should be some variants getting released on draft at the brewery too.

17. jaxon53

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Pretty sure I saw Stout Trooper at Pit Stop in Plainfield.

18. sulldaddy

Also Troegs Mad Elf is on shelves as well, for those looking for this seasonal treat.

19. VodkaPong87

Trader

Anyone put out BCBS early here? I went to a shop today and asked about variants, but the guy said he had no idea what they were getting. This means they didn’t get it yet, which I was a little surprised by. Do they really not know until it get to the store?? I’m always impressed by the lack of knowledge at these places when I ask about special releases like BCBS. For such a strong beer community, CT has some clueless beer providers

20. justjosh43

justjosh43 Initiate (92) Apr 5, 2021 Connecticut
    Trader

Thanks. I’ll need to see if Bev Max in New Milford has Stout Trooper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.