How often do you leave a store without buying anything?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by donno005, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eastside151

Eastside151 Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2012 Ohio

I agree with Hanzo, I don't go into a mom & pop without the expectation to purchase at least 1 or 2 as long as they have something that I want. I've walked out of bigger stores without making a purchase after getting a look at their offerings and prices. The only time I have walked out was one store where I went in to check it out saw a bottle of something I wanted and grabbed it. When I went to pay at the register they informed me there was a minimum purchase for credit/debit cards. Ticked me off because they are not allowed to do that and I hardly carry cash so I left the beer on the counter informed them of what I thought and walked out.

2. benjaminahudson

benjaminahudson Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2012 North Carolina

i have a few times, but that was because I was on a mission for one particular beer and told myself to exercise some restraint and not buy anything else :slight_smile:

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  3. PersianKittie

PersianKittie Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2012

Not very ofter because when i got a store i usually know what i'm going to get and make sure that they have it.

Nicolay3535 likes this.
  4. mpyoung215

mpyoung215 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2010 Massachusetts

Not often enough. Always tell myself to only get what I originally came for, but I always end up with something...

5. tharreld

tharreld Devotee (371) May 7, 2010 Montana

Frequently. Although, if I'm "truck chasing" for a special release I usually buy some additional beers as well.

6. 77black_ships

77black_ships Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

Only once because I felt that the prices were way too high, it was at a brewery & even the brewery stuff I could by at half price at quite a few stores were I live. Otherwise not really because if I go out & buy beer it usually means I am totally out of it & I can usually find at least one thing that looks cool to me.

7. rubicat

rubicat Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

I can usually find something that I want.​

8. Irishize75

Irishize75 Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2012 California

A lot. Although if they have a good singles section, I'll sometimes grab one if I appreciate the level of customer service/ selection, etc.

9. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I can generally at least find something to buy in a store, but when I go into a store and they don't have what I want it generally ends with impulse buying.

10. highdesertdrinker

highdesertdrinker Pooh-Bah (2,492) Nov 5, 2012 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I go for a reason so I try to buy something even if it's a single or a bomber.I have no issues going into any store to browse and often I'm clerk/people watching as well so I make eye contact and say hello to whoever I see unless I'm temporarily distracted.

11. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2012 Ohio

Most of the time I at least pickup a single of something new.... rarely do I leave empty handed. Especially if I sample of few crafts on tap.

12. dethTr0ll

dethTr0ll Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2010 Delaware

At least once every week. My local beer store has little in craft beer.

13. GardenWaters

GardenWaters Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Illinois

I've done it in stores and bars. For example, I live in a small town (pop.~3500), and when news of us getting a liqiour store spread about, I was all too excited. That was until I walked in and seen nothing but BMC's (mostly cases piled up on the floor). I looked at the lady and said "no craft beers?", she pointed at the Shock Top and I just turned around and walked out. That store was in business for less than 1 year. I've also walked out of bars that didn't have Sam Adams Boston Lager on tap. It's either that or I could resort to Dud Light/Miller. I always hear of bars that serve craft beer, but to me that's like seeing a ufo. Everyone has experienced it but you.

14. pep

pep Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2012 Pennsylvania

depends on the store for me and what kind of beer I'm looking for. If I go to wegman then almost 100% of the time I leave with a 6 pack. They have a great selection of craft beer. Another thing is sometime I'm in the mood for crappy beer so if I'm in the mood for that I always leave with a few tall boys of Genny Cream ale or PBR. But if I'm in the mood for sipping beer I more than 96 percent of the time leave empty handed. Or I go to a neighbor hood bar and have a drink.

15. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2011 Maine

I constantly find myself on recon missions...particularly the day before I get paid...my regular stores know what's up...and the others just need to get better beer to get my money...nothing personal.

paulytasker likes this.
  16. dmeadows

dmeadows Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2002 New York

I've learned to say "Just looking."

17. Moose90

Moose90 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2012 Washington

When some people leave my store without anything, I assume theft. When others leave with nothing, and we've discussed options and they still leave, its okay. I know I can't have everything all the time and understand some people are particular and only want what they came for.

Personally, I don't think I've ever gone into another liquor store and left empty handed. I'll pay a little more for a bomber if I have to, but leaving with nothing just feels weird.

18. Pittsky

Pittsky Initiate (0) May 28, 2009 Florida

i do all the time...while on duty I walk into liquor stores, you know, on 'extra patrol', to make sure the liquor is safe, and im not allowed to buy alcohol while in uniform, so i leave empty handed. :slight_frown:

19. haddon

haddon Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2009 Kentucky

never. if I go in, I'm coming out with something. leave the "just browsing" stuff to my wife.

Fish likes this.
  20. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Pooh-Bah (1,982) Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I've been doing it quite a bit lately, looking for the diamond in the rough.
    Sometimes I spend 15 minutes if the store has large amounts of specialties.
    Sometimes the clerks are turned off, but most understand.

The latest monster lucky find -I stopped somewhere you wouldn't expect to have anything - which they really didn't...until I turned around and spied 7 bottles of The Abyss on an unsuspecting shelf. My really started pounding when I found out there was no limit. The cashier didn't even bat an eye when she rang me up for 4 of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.