Thoughts on Goose Island's 2022 Bourbon County (BCBS) Lineup?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bbtkd, Nov 13, 2022.

1. Bishop

Bishop Aspirant (245) May 18, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

[​IMG]

Fallen soldiers this year: Double Toasted, Barleywine, Isaac, Regular/OG, Biscotti, Coffee

AlcahueteJ, Rug, bbtkd and 6 others like this.
  2. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 Maven (1,356) Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

I’ll be waiting for some of us barleywine-heads to open the BCS one and share thoughts

3. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 Maven (1,356) Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

You sir, are financially secure.

4. DIM

DIM Grand Pooh-Bah (4,134) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I opened one last week and it's top notch.

At 17% this is of course, massive but it's all too drinkable given its strength. The barrel presence is intense, mature whiskey, strong leather and oak, plus mellow vanilla. Some sweet elements from the base barleywine manage peek through, caramel primarily but there is a hint of fruit and a traces of chocolate as well. When cold, there is a moderately off-putting floral heat but that disappears closer to cellar temp. Great, great stuff here. Not quite VSOJ caliber, but damn close. Worth seeking out.

AlcahueteJ, Rug, bbtkd and 4 others like this.
  5. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Pooh-Bah (2,472) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This is one of those things that I am always so interested and curious about with regards to palates and how they differ and what everyone is looking for. No doubt VSOJ is delicious, but it didn’t wow me. I think I have it a 4.5, and that was from the “famed” B1. It’s delicious, but there wasn’t anything particularly outstanding about it. To me, it was just what a great BW is supposed to be, but nothing to make me sit back and take note.

I’m always curious to see where people put VSOJ, because of the top tier BWs, it and 13/14 OG BCBBW are arguably the most attainable. Some JOs BWs are in the same league, as is some of the old BBA/AB BA Circle of Wolfes from Veil. I remember my first BBA CoW - I remember, that one DID wow me!

Expectations play a role, and it’s very tough to live up to them, no matter who brews it.

Rug, bbtkd, ChicagoJ and 1 other person like this.
  6. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Savant (1,041) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

Haha not the same. Regular BW is aged for 1 year in used BCBS barrels and widely available everywhere.

o29, Patches826, bbtkd and 1 other person like this.
  7. Pereza987

Pereza987 Zealot (658) Nov 2, 2014 Florida
    Trader

I agree expectations play a role and I would agree that the last VSOJ batch was very good but did not completely floor me. I just posted about 2022 straight jacket and feel it is even better than the last VSOJ I had (although I did have it shipped and drank 6+months after canning). Either way, all world class. Wish I could try the new Goose Island barleywine but that’s just not in the cards for me.

8. DIM

DIM Grand Pooh-Bah (4,134) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Bias is real and hard to account for. VSOJ lived up to the hype for me, a few week later Anabasis did not. A few weeks previously E H. Taylor Bigfoot fell a bit short of expectations, I did enjoy both quite a bit though. Prodigality from Jackie O's floored me a few days ago. Hard to put the old school GI BCBBW into the mix because they came out so long ago. I'd never had anything from Kane and Double Double Cask absolutely blew me away earlier this year, I had no expectations going into that one. What a time to be alive and love Barleywine! At the end of the day we all do our best to be objective with our ratings and reviews. Anchorages average scores tell us that we fall short at times.

stmoorea, bbtkd, Pereza987 and 4 others like this.
  9. Beer_Economicus

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That’s OG BCBBW, not to be confused with the widely available BCBBW from 16/17. Just for clarity.

bbtkd, o29, Hoppedelic and 1 other person like this.
  10. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Savant (1,041) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

Correct, thanks. Still it can’t be said that they brought back the barleywine this year because the 2 year Reserve is a different beast altogether. Hopefully they do bring it back someday, fantastic beer.

bbtkd and Beer_Economicus like this.
  11. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Pundit (896) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I am another who was not impressed by VSOJ. Had the B1 canned release twice and honestly one of the most disappointingly overhyped beers I've had. I love Straight Jacket and I remember the year they did a partial VSOJ blend with it because that was my favorite year for Straight Jacket. Everything about VSOJ should have blown my mind but I found it to be a completely dull one note beer lacking complexity. I got smooth bourbony brown sugar and that was absolutely it. Didn't shift flavor profile as it warmed, didn't open up into anything special as it sat in my glass. Had the same experience both times having it. I realize I'm in the extreme minority on this one, but that beer was a huge "MEH" I never need to have again.

12. OGShotzy

OGShotzy Maven (1,298) Oct 5, 2014 Pennsylvania

Did anyone see any 2022 barleywine around Philadelphia? I tried a few places, and only one even got it. And they only got one case. Still hunting…

bbtkd likes this.
  13. Beer_Economicus

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Your experience is pretty similar to mine. The best way I can say it is, “Like, it’s good, it’s solid, but it’s not earth shattering or fantasmagoric.” I agree very much with the idea that it is way more one note/not complex than many others.

Oh, and yes, the SJ/VSOJ blend years are always the best versions of SJ. I bought 2 4-packs last year. Still haven’t opened one. Too much of a backlog and other things I’d like to drink, but I know I have another 12-24 months to consume them before they start falling hard (even though I prefer them fresh), will be gifting some this year to a couple close friends, and about the time they disappear should be the next batch with VSOJ blended in. Ideally.

14. invertalon

invertalon Pooh-Bah (2,065) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

We tried the Biscotti variant last night and we both LOVED it.

I can see why some may not, especially if you hate licorice/anise... But I mean, if you dislike those flavors, why would you even buy or expect to like it, anyway?

I thought the anise was just right (I didn't get black licorice type notes, strictly anise here... Quite different IMO) and it had a signature pizzelle cookie type flavor up front. Then the flavor becomes more bitter dark chocolate and marzipan on the finish. Reminded me a lot of the Ritter mazripan chocolate bars I love.

It has a wonderful complexity, though. Absolutely works and I love this variant... Really happy to have another bottle of this one to enjoy in a few months.

AlcahueteJ, bbtkd, tobelerone and 3 others like this.
  15. boarder1999

boarder1999 Crusader (443) Dec 16, 2014 California
    Trader

I drank (most of) one of the four Coffees I got. It was very thin, very little coffee flavor and not much stout flavor in general. I poured out about a third of it. I rated 2017 coffee a 4.75 and this one a 2.75. I've also had all the Coffee variants from 2013-2017, and they have always been between 4.5 and 5 for me. This was one of the most disappointing beers I've ever had based on my expectations for it.

bbtkd, bootdown21 and ChicagoJ like this.
  16. cg123

cg123 Crusader (479) Feb 27, 2012 Ohio

Or very irresponsible. I've seen both ends of the spectrum in this lil hobby of ours lol.

Rug, bbtkd, VodkaPong87 and 1 other person like this.
  17. zac16125

zac16125 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,358) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Damn that’s a pretty cool little Easter egg that i was not aware of until I got home
    and saw the “HH” and “Wilt” stamped on my bottles. Pretty cool!

bbtkd and ChicagoJ like this.
  18. Resistance88

Resistance88 Pooh-Bah (2,796) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

As a Californian you should try Firestone Walkers Parabajava . 12oz bottle and half the price.

Looks like Bourbon County Budweiser Stout is receiving the same results after every release. They either love it, hate it or see no distro.
    Cheers yall

bbtkd, o29 and BigIronH like this.
  19. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Pooh-Bah (1,931) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Mine was all licorice/anise and I couldn’t finish the bottle.

20. rolltide8425

rolltide8425 Pooh-Bah (2,286) Feb 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It's been available in New York and PA, I know that much.

bbtkd and ChicagoJ like this.