1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

So when did "extras" become mandatory?!

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by mtbdonn, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtbdonn

mtbdonn Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2009 Colorado
    Trader

So I recently went through a difficult trade and decided not to include extras and the guy sure let me know it when he received his package with some not-so direct comments.
    But this was the same guy that took his sweet time to answer every message...after he finally accepted the initial trade. In the middle of the trade he decided he wanted something different. This trade had taken close to a month just to get the package out the door. Somewhere in the middle I just wanted it to stop, but I continued to chop through the trade because I was already committed and I worry about my reputation, though small. I doubt I would have ever heard from him again if it weren't for the lack of extras!
    I personally, normally, base my extras on my interaction with the trader and the communication exchanges; were they friendly? responsive? type of trade, good/fair trade or one sided? etc.
    Now I know extras aren't mandatory, but maybe this can serve as a reminder!
    Thoughts?

2. Gregfalone

Gregfalone Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 California

Extras?!? Those are terms of endearments! Unles specified. Extras are not mandatory. I don't even consider them unless they are implied. I kinda included a Pliny the elder on one of my trades, but it was specified. The trader said he wanted one. I put it in the box and told him to send me somethin awesome in exgange. I looked at his gots, and put in some suggestions, but at $5.50 a bottle I don't really care what he sends me as long as it's not crap. I frequently send handmade coasters, and other smalls with my shipments, but they are NOT guaranteed!

tacosandbeer, ChanChan and CwrwAmByth like this.
  3. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

I always mention when I'm including "extras" in the trade "agreement". Like I'll say "alright, so I'm sending x & y and a few extras" and I'll ask if they want anything specifically they can't get locally or just a general style if they want me to pick. I generally only do trades specific to 1-2 beers though.

If both parties never spoke about extras, I wouldn't expect 'em.

Pahn, ABisonEgo, tacosandbeer and 2 others like this.
  4. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2009 Maryland

Extras are not mandatory. That said, I usually include extras, with 1 being the minimum. If the communication is spot on, the person was easy to work with and we've built a rapport (i.e. Potential for future trades) I up the #/value of extras.

If I don't/can't* send extras, I communicate that as early as possible.

*Had boxes where extras just wouldn't fit.

5. goodbetterbestbested

goodbetterbestbested Initiate (0) May 10, 2012 California

its not an extra if he asks for it and you tell him what to send in exchange lol

extras are half the fun of trading, unless it's explicitly agreed that there won't be extras then you should include them

6. mtbdonn

mtbdonn Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2009 Colorado
    Trader

I agree. All my trades have never mentioned "extras". I always considered it as "surprises" which make the trades that much more enjoyable.
    Has anyone else had a similar experience?

LiquidDegenerate, Pando and misterid like this.
  7. travMI13

travMI13 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

Let me put it to you this way. If we make a trade, and I send you amazing extras like hard to get seasonals or local brewery only brews, and you either send me a. garbage or b. nothing, then I can assure you one thing: we won't be trading again.

If you are really concerned about your trading reputation, OP, then pay attention to your extras.

8. icetrauma

icetrauma Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

So what you are saying is, extra's are more important than what you actually trade for.

9. Reagan1984

Reagan1984 Pooh-Bah (2,305) May 15, 2008 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

Extras are definitely not mandatory.

Having said that, extras have been the most fun part of trading (aside from making several new friends) & I don't believe I've ever sent out a box without extras.

Finally.... On the rare occasion that I received a box without extras... I definitely did not say a word. After all, they are not mandatory.
    Seems pretty clear that the OP and his trading partner here just didn't click. It happens.

10. travMI13

Absolutely.

First and foremost, trading is about sharing beer and spreading beer that you like across the country to other people that can't get it. Treat people like people, like new friends you are sharing great beer with. Don't treat them as if they are lucky to be getting the latest idolized shelf-whale from you.

Chaney, Bluecane, heatwaves and 3 others like this.
  11. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I have had folks send me
    1. No extras when I asked if his wants were up to date, and there was no reason for me to ask this except to pick out extras. I have only gotten no extras 2 other times. I have never sent no extras except as agreed beforehand.
    2. Beer wrapped so crappily it was amazing that the beer got here without breaking.
    3. No confirmation that the shipment I sent got there okay, and no thank you for the trade.

Guess how many of these folks are on my completed trades list? Guess how many of these folks I will never under any circumstances trade with again?

12. Pnell316

Pnell316 Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2010 Pennsylvania

I feel if making a trade, no matter of how good or bad the back and forth is, always tell the other party that you intend not to ship extras. Otherwise, you will be the asshole, because 99% of the time the other party will be sending you extras. To me it sounds like you didn't send extras out of spite.

DavoleBomb likes this.
  13. tewaris

tewaris Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Minnesota

I guess AleWatcher/Shogo have said it best in their writeup:

So I guess just as "mandatory" as tipping when you eat out unless it's a place where not tipping is the norm.

gpawned, CruisaC, Dope and 3 others like this.
  14. brewbetter

brewbetter Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2012 Nauru

I still don't fully understand the etiquette behind extras. In some of my trades, people ask for specific "extras" and then throw in whatever $4$ off-the-shelf stuff they can find (often old pale-ales). This ends up greatly increasing the cost of trading for absolutely no return. Also, I don't know about how many extras or how much to spend on extras in general. Does it scale up for a trade involving better beers?

Most traders are happy with extras no matter what, but one time someone got pissed because I sent them an IPA that was a couple months old (in addition to BCBS). After that, I decided no pale-ales will be sent unless they can be guaranteed to be pretty fresh.

The trend of people requesting specific extras is rough though. It really stops being an extra and starts being an add-on to the trade when one requests specific stuff as an "extra."

LiquidDegenerate and 2beerdogs like this.
  15. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

I would argue that first and foremost trading is about trading. If extras are implied on both ends, than it makes a difficult process more difficult and more expensive. Also, you've got the added pressure of your extras being a equal or better value than the other trader.

Some people take this shit too seriously. Beer is beer, it's not hands across the water and circle jerks.

16. beernut

beernut Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2008 New Jersey

Extras are like tips, not expected, but are nice.

17. travMI13

If you can't afford to tip, then you can't afford to dine out. If you can't afford to send extras, then you can't afford to trade when shipping is involved.

Smurf2055, gpawned, Bluecane and 9 others like this.
  18. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

Ive got too many glasses anymore, so Ive been throwing those in every trade I can. Like seriously 2 cupboards full of them. Makes life easy.

I always assume theres extras in a box, but if there isnt thats perfectly ok.

gpawned and LiquidDegenerate like this.
  19. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Pundit (955) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

I don't trade, but I would say "extras" are just that. EXTRAS. If one misunderstands the word "extra" and views them as an entitlement, then only misunderstanding can arise.

20. Steimie

Steimie Maven (1,404) Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

OP, I would've stopped as soon as you started to feel uncomfortable with your trading partner. As with a lot of things, the best way to approach trading is to go with your gut.

As far as extras...if I have to explain it to someone, we won't be doing business in the future. Extras are part of the philosophy that says you should send a box you'd be thrilled to get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.