Aging Brews! Here we go

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by LouDogg114, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouDogg114

LouDogg114 Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2012 Georgia

So i've decided to pop my brew aging cherry today. I put aside a Terrapin WnB, Brooklyn Black Chocolate and GD Yeti to age for, i'm thinking about 6-12 months. Pretty excited to taste the end results as i know what they all taste like fresh. I seriously feel like i can hear the beers calling my name tho, haha.
    Any suggestions from previous experience on other good brews to age?

2. Oneinchaway

Oneinchaway Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2011 California
    Trader

Dogfish 120 for sure.

3. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

4. Dtrain4

Dtrain4 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2012 New York

Most barrel aged, high ABVs are very good to age

5. jacksback

jacksback Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2011 Massachusetts

Hopslam and Celebration.

Providence likes this.
  6. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

Honestly, very few beers improve with age. A small amount maintain their quality while simply changing a bit. There will be a few that will drop off slightly but are still very enjoyable. The majority of beers will decline greatly, they may still be worth drinking but they will never measure up to what they once were.

Give me Expedition and Third Coast Old Ale any day. Samichlaus and Bigfoot are champs too. There are others but my personal list of cellarable beers is very slim.

7. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 New York

Heineken and Stella, just the bottles though.

brewtus likes this.
  8. UshertheravenIPA

UshertheravenIPA Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey

Stone RIS is a champion along with some other imperials 8% or higher. IPAs aren't great with age as the hops drop out fast. 120 is an exception as it's built for aging.

9. Brunite

Brunite Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2009 Illinois

Pliny the Grandparent?

Seriously....as stated earlier above...high abv Imperial Stouts are my choice. Sitting on a nice stash of BCBS for future tastings.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  10. TKEbeerman

TKEbeerman Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2009 Florida

I dont think this is an accurate statement at all. There are many beers that can improve with age. Can you clarify if you meant beers, or beer styles?

11. LouDogg114

I've read that hop heavy beers don't age well. That's why I stuck with the higher ABV stouts. Usually when its cold I tend to drink a lot more stouts, so there are more in my beer fridge. I'll start getting back into my Dipa when it warms up a little more. Although I do have a Hopslam sixer on reserve at my local beer spot. Can't wait for that one.
    I've been trying to get my hands on a Pliny or anything from FFF, but they are just not available in Georgia. Is there anyway for me to find out what areas Russian River or FFF are available?

12. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I agree with Kzoobrew. They change, certainly, and the changes can be interesting, but I find they seldom actually improve. It does happen though, and there's nothing wrong with aging some stuff. Grab some North Coast Old Stock Ale, that beer ages very nicely indeed. I still prefer them fresh, but it's fun to do side by side tastings sometimes.

13. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 New York

120, Fort, Olde School and Immort
    oh yea and WWS

dogphishead likes this.
  14. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

I meant exactly what I said. Even with "cellarable" styles, very few beers honestly improve. The percentage of beers worth cellaring in these styles is rather small. A hell of a lot of Imperial Stouts, Barleywines, Quads and so on drop off and never get better. Aging by style may be a decent rule of thumb but it is terribly misleading.

Let's not confuse changing with improving. All beers change, very few improve. Do not fall into the trap of romanticizing cellaring.

15. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

[quote="LouDogg114, post: 810886,] I put aside a Terrapin WnB, Brooklyn Black Chocolate and GD Yeti to age for, i'm thinking about 6-12 months.?[/quote]

6-12 months?
    I don't call that aging. I call that buying 2 cases so I can drink it all year long.

LouDogg114 likes this.
  16. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Pooh-Bah (1,797) Nov 7, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah

I said this the other day in a BCBS thread...

Time does not guarantee improvement, just difference.
    Those differences can often, but not universally, be described as improvements.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  17. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

Protip:

age these beers.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
    Anchor Old Foghorn
    North Coast Old Stock
    Dogfish Head World Wide Stout (5 years plz)

other protip: put aside a good amount of whatever you choose and drink as you go. No sense aging one bottle 3 years if it peaks at 2 or 6 or whatever. Drink one every 6 months. Find a few aged favorites and invest heavily. Cellars with one-offs aren't any fun.

mcritchi likes this.
  18. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (1,106) Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Trader

I agree 100% many many beers improve. Some beers are just bad fresh and need to age. (Bolt Cutter)
    And the OP didn't ask for opinions on whether or not to age but what to age.

Yeti is a decent choice
    Founders imp stout is amazing and old curmudgeon gets better with every passing year.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  19. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (1,106) Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Trader

Or lateral but equally enjoyable changes. This is part of the fun of aging.

20. LouDogg114

Thanks for the tips! I've been drinking craft/specialty beers for a good bit now and love it. I keep reading about people aging these lovely brews in the forums and thought it would be a fun experiment. Honestly I have no problem with continuing to just enjoy them fresh!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.