1000 Beer Advocate Beer Reviews...what was yours?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by merc7186, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoRaeCho

BoRaeCho Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2010 Texas

There must be some legendary beer belly's on this thread.

BigCheese, Levitation and Chaney like this.
  2. Onenote81

Onenote81 Initiate (0) May 27, 2008 North Carolina

I 'had' 1000+ reviews but just noticed that all of my repeats (different versions) have been purged from the system, so I guess I get a second 1000th review! Hurray?

3. coreyfmcdonald

coreyfmcdonald Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2008 Georgia

I have a really hard time reviewing beer when I'm at a tasting. I've done it, but it's difficult. I much prefer sitting down by myself over a half hour or so after dinner.

Profchaos20 likes this.
  4. Knapp85

Knapp85 Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,688) Dec 25, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Utopias 09 was mine

5. xnicknj

xnicknj Initiate (0) May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

just last month i hosted a big imperial stout tasting for my 1000th review. 999 was Bourbon Barrel Dark Lord '12 and 1000 was Brandy Vanilla Dark Lord '11.

i originally intended on doing Blabaer for 1000 but it didnt arrive in time so we had a 2nd tasting of sours like 3 weeks later.

6. StJamesGate

StJamesGate Grand Pooh-Bah (3,462) Oct 8, 2007 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Guinness Draught - kinda had to do this one, with my user name. :wink:

7. mrhartounian

mrhartounian Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2009 Massachusetts

I've done 1 review in two+ years. I'll let you know around the year 4012 if you are still interested.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  8. Kendo

Kendo Pooh-Bah (2,236) Dec 23, 2005 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

I actually got to 1000 then got knocked down in total #s because of that new policy. I had chosen a 2008 Pannepot Reserva (Riserva?) as my original 1000th review - FWIW, it took me nearly 6 years to get to 1000 - but now I've got about 25 reviews to go before reaching it again. Not sure what "special" beer will be my second #1000. . . .

9. Kendo

Kendo Pooh-Bah (2,236) Dec 23, 2005 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Funny you say that - I've told a few friends recently that I got to 1000 beer reviews (the # has been reduced due to the no-repeats new policy, so I'm now at about 970+), and a number have then asked: "What do you get for that?" To which I invariably reply: "A beer belly" or "20 pounds".....

10. flexabull

flexabull Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2006 California

Mine was Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Grand Cru. Decided to go with something from Sierra since they are my "local" brewery. Joined the site in March 2006, hit number 1000 on Dec. 10th 2010.

11. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2006 New York

I'm at 1608 now

# 1000 for me was Westy 12

cmmcdonn likes this.
  12. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

Westy is going to be my #900. 1000 will most likely be whatever local 1-off I can get my hands on at the time.

13. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,837) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Actually, since you asked I usually do 2-3 beers an evening after work (I work from home so I start right after I finish up with one before dinner and then one or two after dinner. I usually got a couple more on the weekend days, especially when watching sporting events. Usually shared a bomber or two a week with other local BAs.

I did very few reviews of beers at festivals or anything like that, unless it was a pay by the glass. There were certainly a few that I did not finish and drain poured. The only days that I have like 15 or more entered on are days where I entered ones I had handwritten in my notebook - from when I was out and about and did not have a computer/tablet with me.

I also travel a fair amount for business (and some for pleasure) so I am able to encounter quite a few different beers that way. I live right at the juncture of a couple of states so have massive amounts of distribution to chose from and friends/family that pick me up interesting beers whenever they see them.

I spent the last year exploring different beers - I rarely had more than one of any beers but that will change, it was a chance to retry beers from my past and expand my palate.

14. dbrauneis

Agree - I would only review at a tasting event/festival if it was a "pay as you go" kind of event where you get relatively decent pours (a lot of the ones around here do 8 oz pours for those). And I would only review a handful in a day - think like 12 hours with plenty of food consumed as well.

15. dbrauneis

Well, I gave up drinking soda and other soft drinks when I increased my beer consumption - so no real difference was made in the belly department. Also, I moved to an urban area and walk most places so I rarely spend time in the car - that made for a small reduction in belly size.

16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

17. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2010 New York

My 1000th may be a 2017 Black Tuesday!

18. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Brooklyn Local #1. #1001 was Brooklyn Local #2.

19. BoRaeCho

BoRaeCho Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2010 Texas

For the record, I'm skinny ( American standard) but my unmistakable round beer belly gives me away that I partake in the finest of biers. (Yes I wrote Biers, must be the Achel double in me)

20. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

I'm like a buck fifty outside of a thousand.

wait, 227. Damnit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.