Beers that make you drunk for no particular reason...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JamesShoemaker, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

This subject is a relative thing, but I do remember the first time I drank a 750ml bottle of Piraat by myself and I thought, "Dayuuum!"

2. guillemiro

guillemiro Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2010 Maryland

luwak likes this.
  3. DrewShal9

DrewShal9 Initiate (0) May 18, 2011 Massachusetts

I get wasted off of Notch Saison- so delicious and only 3.8% but for whatever reason I get tanked off of it. Don't ask me why, especially when I can drink 10% brews and not get blasted.

4. HumphreyLee

HumphreyLee Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 Pennsylvania

Not going to lie (because I know they're somewhat "persecuted") but a big, imperial pumpkin ale tends to get to me. I think Pumking usually goes down super smooth (but ofc one is usually all I drink because it gets really sweet) and before I know it it's up in my head space because of the ABV. Some of the big belgians come at me too. The St. Bernardus Christmas I had over, well, Christmas, knocked me down a peg too.

5. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 Washington

yes it will do that.

luwak likes this.
  6. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2011 Texas

Paulaner Salvator gets me every time. I can have 2-3 of those and it gets me good

7. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

The Golden Monkey is one badass primate.

8. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 New York

As an Englishman might say, arsed.

9. beerborn

beerborn Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Louisiana

So going back to the OP on this, I believe the answer to your problem is: science.

10. kylelenk

kylelenk Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Michigan

I've noticed that IPA's don't get me nearly as buzzed as stouts/porters/barleywines (even on an ABV=ABV basis). I've had, at parties, 4 or 5 Hopslams over a period of a few hours and I'm not nearly as looped as when I have four or five FBS in a row. It's possible the aromas of the hops in IPA's keep me cognizant, this I do not know.

11. HoptimusMax1mus

HoptimusMax1mus Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2012 Arizona

I have the opposite. Hoppier beers jack me up much faster than malty offerings.

beercanman likes this.
  12. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2010 California

tactical nuclear penguin got me good.

13. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

Victory Golden Monkey. After 2 of those, I'm feelin' good.

14. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

RE: my avatar picture.

15. luwak

luwak Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2010 Arizona

I actually agree... a big stout or barleywine or old/strong or Belgian quad or belgian dark ale ale seems to hit me much more slowly and subtly (and pleasurably) then a DIPA.
    But ive not yet done an experiment to control for the fact that i think i drink the big sugary maltier beers more slowly.

And i feel like three Hopslams in a row is a waste of Hopslam. But if the OP digs it that way, good for him.

16. Larrygto

Larrygto Initiate (0) May 28, 2012 Arizona

Brown Shugga' does it for every time, one beer and I'm lit up two and I'm done for the night!

17. blguillen

blguillen Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2011 California

A few weeks ago, my wife and I hosted a Christmas gift exchange/brunch thing. Most of our parties end up being bottle shares, and knowing this, my wife asked that I not drink or take it easy (for personal reasons). My buddy brought some Alpine, Stone and Noble Aleworks growlers and while my wife wasn't looking, I would drink it as quickly as I could (I know, I know). Turns out I got shitfaced. It may have also been due to not really eating anything and having my first beer at 10:30 am, but man...I was not useful the rest of the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.