Beer snob stories

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 5thOhio, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wesbray

wesbray Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Canada (AB)

Someone piped in later that night saying they agreed with me, that they should have more craft on tap..."like Stella Artois"...

Bugs318, MikeG304, Spikester and 5 others like this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I don't think there has ever been a time where I couldn't find something to drink, I've been known to order a Blue Moon (w/orange wedge) at restaurants with weak lineups, Dos Equis at my favorite Mexican place paired with my spicy order, and drink BMC\light beers at sporting events\parties.

That doesn't mean if given the choice I wouldn't order\drink something with more flavor, but as it stands I can adapt to almost any drinking environment like a beer Ninja.

3. Psychmusic

Psychmusic Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2012 Massachusetts

I hate that when people know I'm into beer they assume I'm a snob about it. at family parties where there's Bud I'll always get a few snide "oh he doesn't drink this type of beer." The only time I act snobbish is when someone else is trying to put peoples choices down because they're so enlightened that they drink Shocktop instead of Bud Light- that really drives me nuts

4. Derranged

Derranged Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 New York

Ive done that and I wouldn't call it snobbish.

forrestbetts likes this.
  5. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Pooh-Bah (2,815) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah

Same. There's a point where I realize alcohol's alcohol, so what the hell.

6. ChanChan

ChanChan Maven (1,341) Dec 12, 2009 California

That's pretty snobby!! :slight_smile:

biga7346 likes this.
  7. SerialTicker

Pooh-Bah

Nah. Bringing your own beer to a party's not so bad, but a glass is sort of "woo-hoo" :wink:

That's alright though. I had my first Celebration Ale at my friend's house last week and requested a pint glass, so.

FPWolff and EMLsd like this.
  8. Derranged

Derranged Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 New York

I don't consider myself a beer snob but I have had "snobbish" moments.

Most of my friends are BMC drinkers. Sometimes I pick up a 12 pack of Corona, Bud Light etc for them before I get to their place. As I'm bringing the beer over the checkout counter, I sometimes start thinking to myself "I don't want people to think I drink this stuff".

Snobbish yay or nay?

9. SerialTicker

Pooh-Bah

I figure the people behind the counter are used to people drinking swill, and probably drink it themselves, so ... meh.

I had a PBR craving and bought a six-pack a month or so ago. I didn't feel bad because I said the above line in my head.

10. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2012 New York

What do you expect to find at a Mexican restaurant lol?

MikeEhrmantraut likes this.
  11. ChanChan

ChanChan Maven (1,341) Dec 12, 2009 California

I agree with everything you have to say!! I wouldn't call myself a Ninja tho... More like a straight-out alcoholic!!

12. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

When I buy a few bombers and a couple of sixpacks and they ask, "Do want this in a box?" and I say, "Sure", they grab a ShockTop empty case from the pile.

"Damn," I think to myself, "I hope no one sees me carrying this to my car..." :grimacing:

13. TimJohnsonMN

TimJohnsonMN Aspirant (201) Dec 24, 2009 Minnesota

Yup. Had this same experience last week.

14. fearfactory

fearfactory Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts

I was called a beer snob more than once during a 7 day Boston-Bermuda-Boston cruise. It was by my friends, while they explained to the many waiters that asked, why I never wanted a "bucket" of BMC like everyone else. Luckily I don't mind cocktails.....

JohnQ, meanmutt, JimKal and 2 others like this.
  15. xnicknj

xnicknj Initiate (0) May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

same here, although i leave the glassware at home when i go to my fiancee's family's places, otherwise i bring a taster or something all the time.

FosterJM likes this.
  16. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Michigan

I have very little impulse control on saying things like "shitty", "pee-water", or "triple hops brewed" in a very sarcastic tone when I see friends or family drinking Bud, Miller, Coors, etc., and an even harder time not laughing in someone's face when they tell me Shock Top is good beer. I'm usually very polite in public, though.

I try so hard to turn off my beer snobbery. I really do. Even if I don't say anything, I usually (unintentionally) shoot some sideways glance, a tiny smirk, or an eye twitch. It's invaded my core. On the plus side, I have gotten a lot of my family/friends interested in some craft brews, so it's serving some purpose.

17. JulianB

JulianB Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

Oh, I didn't expect anything, but I looked anyway on the off-chance there might be something. I didn't even say anything about it, the only reason the beer selection (or lack thereof) came up is because people had heard me mentioning I was craving a beer while at the gym, but I decided to get Mexican food with my friends rather than go to the bar alone. Had a beer at home after dinner instead.

18. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

order a black and tan and get call it a day.

19. JulianB

JulianB Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

What if they don't have BCBS and Hopslam on tap to make it though?

20. frazbri

frazbri Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

I'd say my most snobbish moments have been responses to the waitresses that say "we've got everything" when asked what beer they have. Responses like "great, give me an Arrogant Bastard" or "I'll have a Breakfast Stout" tend to annoy the wait staff.

Paccamacca, dhannes, Bugs318 and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.