King Henry Recomendations

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by robboyd, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robboyd

robboyd Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2011 Indiana

Tomorrow some good BA's and I will be doing a pretty in depth Barley Wine tasting, while also playing videos games of our youth. In addition to King Henry, we'll be drinking a number of limited or highly rated barrel aged (or not) barley wines. I'd like to drink them in a fashion that the community could appreciate as a whole. Any recommendations? I'd be happy to film our tasting, take in depth notes on a blind tasting, or just chug at random. What say ye BA? How should we consume these beers? (Also, if you are in the Indianapolis area and are interested in participating, with beer to contribute, BM me.)

Duff27 likes this.
  2. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 California

Flight them. No other details. Just pour the beers and have fun. Anything more complicated is nonsense.

3. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2011 Illinois

A list of beers that you are going to taste would help us help you with recomendations on how to, or not to do it. If you are doing limited and highly rated I wouldn't suggest chugging. Video might be fun but not necessary. It might distract from you guys enjoying the beers and company, notes are helpful as you savor the flavor. Most importantly, don't worry about us, just do what makes you happy. Have fun!

4. robboyd

Yeah, just trying to have some fun. While I have huge respect for beer and no one who knows me would contest that, I don't take it too seriously. Just wondering, regardless of stature, rarity, or price, if you could just have some fun and enjoy a lineup, how would you do it, or better yet, if it was someone else's investment and you didn't care, how would you like to see it go down?

My contribution to this lineup is as follows:

King Henry
    2011 BA Naked Evil
    2011 Behemoth
    BA Daft
    Bolt Cutter
    Heavy Seas BO Below Decks

Probably will see similar contributions from several other BA's.

5. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Zealot (741) Feb 26, 2011 Illinois

Shots of Jose Cuervo with King Henry chasers.

6. revbdub5446

revbdub5446 Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2009 Illinois

Always remember....avoid don flamencos uppercuts.... And body shots to the xx onking hoppos stomach!

7. robboyd

I'm not against this.

8. robboyd

I feel like this is far more relevant than any beer drinking advice. 3 video game stations with nothing more recent than nintendo 64.

BedetheVenerable likes this.
  9. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

Work some other styles in there as well, just to cleanse your taste buds... Matilda or something along those lines.

10. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2009 Connecticut

I assume when you say "games of your youth" you are referencing n64 and that one of these games will be mario cart. I mean Goldeneye and Super Smash Brothers are viable...but eh. Drunk Driving. Do it!

callmeishmALE likes this.
  11. robboyd

Sadly, my youth starts prior to N64. I can work an atari paddle controller like your sister can work my..... In all seriousness, the name of the event is "Contra Bowl" rather than, "lets drink some barleywine and make people jealous of our awesomeness." I think for most my age, original NES was the primary system of our youth. While everything is up for debate, my gracious host will actually be up in just a couple hours to start smoking some pork butt for the party. I'm just taking advantage of the fact that he can't defend himself at this exact moment.

12. EJLinneman

EJLinneman Pundit (920) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

Depending on how many people are coming, I'd leave the bottle count low and just pop em open one at a time. This way at least you can still taste things and not get too sloshed.. Unless that's the point, and then go for it and drink em all.

13. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2009 Connecticut

This seriously sounds like the coolest tasting ever! Video games, killer beer, BBQ.....oh my!

14. DavidEddie

DavidEddie Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2006 Illinois

15. robboyd

I can only assume the L stands for leotards. That's the only thing we'll be short of. Nothing but man and beer, and maybe gay man and beer (because we're not some bull shit hate mongers), and strong women and beer, and even weak women with strong thoughts of mind and beer, at this party. But seriously, regardless of your political mindset, if you aren't into beer, find another URL to cause on.

ForkAndSpoonOp likes this.
  16. Hoozierdaddy

Hoozierdaddy Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2009 Illinois

No classic gaming get-together is complete without Baseball Stars on the NES.

Profchaos20 likes this.
  17. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 Utah

Bring your own lazers? To a videogame party? Nah... I'll just stick to the orange duck hunt gun.

founder26 likes this.
  18. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Pooh-Bah (2,211) Oct 24, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah

I highly recommend drinking KH last, if not doing blind.

Better to go upward than downhill.

EDIT: If there's a good chance you'll be too lit towards the end, then might as well start off on a high note and taste KH first.

19. homebrew311

homebrew311 Pooh-Bah (2,070) May 19, 2008 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Fixed.

YogiBeer and sukwonee like this.
  20. Devi0us

Devi0us Savant (1,124) May 3, 2011 California
    Trader

Then you better have 30 lives: UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A Select Start

Also, if you happen to play Mike Tyson`s Punchout: 007 373 5963

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.