Favorite German Hefe-Weiss

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AlexanderSelby, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DubbelTrubbel

DubbelTrubbel Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2012 Georgia

NG Laughing Fox is quite good also, though actually a kristalweizen.

2. Jugs_McGhee

Jugs_McGhee Grand Pooh-Bah (5,956) Aug 15, 2010 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I love Ayinger and Franziskaner. These get a lot of publicity. But what doesn't get acknowledgement are Erdinger Hefeweizen and Erdinger Ur-Weisse. Great beers. Please try them.

3. IamMe90

IamMe90 Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2012 Wisconsin

Laughing Fox is quite tasty, but Dancing Man is miles better IMHO

4. digita7693

digita7693 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2010 Germany

I always had some Kapuziner at home over the past 8 years, delicious.
    other favorites are Maisels and Weihenstephaner

5. boddhitree

boddhitree Pooh-Bah (1,765) Apr 13, 2008 Germany
    Pooh-Bah

Sorry to tell you this, but traditionally, Hefeweizens are always served directly from the bottle; otherwise, you wouldn't get the Hefe in the Hefeweizen. If you get it from a tap, you loose the part that makes the beer style what it is. Have you ever seen how they do it at German brewers? They roll the bottle gently back and forth to mix up the Hefe within the beer. This would never work on-tap. In fact, it would taste really crappy, IMO.

A regular Weißbier or a Belgian Wittbier can be served on tap because it doesn't rely on the residual bottle-fermented yeast on the bottom of the bottle for it's taste.

6. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

I've had Hefeweizen vom Faß both in Germany and here in the States and it's always had the suspended Hefe -- never understood how they worked it out, but they did.

Can't imagine what the last glass-full from the keg is like! :grimacing:

7. Jugs_McGhee

Jugs_McGhee Grand Pooh-Bah (5,956) Aug 15, 2010 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

kojevergas said:
    I love Ayinger and Franziskaner. These get a lot of publicity. But what doesn't get acknowledgement are Erdinger Hefeweizen and Erdinger Ur-Weisse. Great beers. Please try them.​

Um. Okay?

8. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

For me it comes down to whether I want a really fruit-focused one, or one that’s a bit creamier/spicier. For fruity ones, the Weihenstephaner and Kloster Andechs versions are my faves. The ultra-common Hofbrau and Paulaner ones are fine, too.
    For the creamier, I love the one from Mahr’s.
    Schneider makes just about every type of weiss you can imagine and they’re all pretty good. Not really my cup of tea, palate-wise, but I know some people that swear theirs are far and away the best. They tend to be spicier.

9. Dajtai007

Dajtai007 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2009 Texas

Live Oak Hefe is delicious. They need to can/bottle that bad boy!

phishbone23 likes this.
  10. phishbone23

phishbone23 Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2012 New York

Weihenstephaner if germans only. If including world, Live Oak is all-time fave tho!

11. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2009 Italy

Kapuziner
    Weihenstephaner
    Ayinger Ur-Weisse
    or there's always the classic Paulaner Weisse which is ubiquitous and extremely cheap in these parts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.