Comparable to Pliny?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rholmes, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rholmes

rholmes Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2012 Florida

What beers do you find similar in taste to Pliny? Got to try this for the first time the other night, and I'm in an area where it's nearly impossible to get. Looking for beers that are more readily available on the East Coast.

2. sukwonee

sukwonee Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 Washington

This is a tough one... I can tell you DIPAs from the East Coast that are better than PtE.... but DIPAs that are similar in taste to PtE??? not sure...

3. UnderJoath

UnderJoath Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2010 Illinois

Bud Platinum

**ducks**

4. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Pooh-Bah (1,955) Nov 26, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Are you looking for that specific flavor/hop profile, or just a similar quality DIPA? If the latter, there are tons of alternatives around the country. I'd start with the Top Beers list from your region: http://beeradvocate.com/lists/south-atlantic and look for an IPA you recognize.

This is the 21st century. There's no reason you shouldn't have a good IPA within driving distance.

Spaghett, tronester, dianimal and 3 others like this.
  5. rholmes

Thanks for the info. I had no idea these lists could be seperated by region.

6. rholmes

What in your opinion is a better DIPA from the East Coast?

7. peteinSD

peteinSD Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2010 California

you are not going to find another beer like pliny. but . . . you can explore the DIPA style locally and find many excellent variations on the style.

ericwo likes this.
  8. Gregfalone

Gregfalone Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 California

Sculpin is almost close to as good, but not that similar. If you can get you hands on some heady it's as good, if not better, but still not that similar. It will be hard to find something as clean, smooth, good, and tasty as Pliny the elder regardless of your region.

chavinparty and RBassSFHOPit2ME like this.
  9. IamMe90

IamMe90 Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2012 Wisconsin

I haven't had it, but the common consensus is that heady topper is the best DIPA out there, and it's from Vermont. But its distribution is also pretty self contained, so you might have to trade.

Hopsiam14 likes this.
  10. sukwonee

sukwonee Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 Washington

Double Sunshine and Heady Topper to start...

VncentLIFE, youbrewidrink and dawatts like this.
  11. dawatts

dawatts Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2006 Massachusetts

I've heard Lagunitas Sucks is similar but can't say for sure.

12. dawatts

dawatts Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2006 Massachusetts

I had Hills Farmstead Abner over the weekend and I'd say it it should be in that list as well.

beerluvngal and UnderJoath like this.
  13. tdizzlegrizzle

tdizzlegrizzle Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2009 Pennsylvania

I can't say that these are necessarily similar in taste to Pliny but two great must-try IPAs that are readilly available are Ithaca Flower Power and Stone Ruination.

kirbmeist and mackeyse like this.
  14. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 California

I get a huge Pliny vibe from Stone's Enjoy By. Bit more tropical than pliny but definitely comparable.

15. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Chad

To me Maine Beer Lunch is spooky similar to Pliny.

16. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2012 New York

I agree with this. You are not going to find something that tastes so similar it is hard to notice. Enjo By is as easy to drink while being tasty but not dry and bitter. You don't have to be a hop head to enjoy this DIPA.
    Lagunitas Sucks, and Union Jack/Double Jack also are good west coast style IPAs that are easy to drink and easy to find in the NY area. I never tried Jai Alai or Lunch but hear they are great.
    Equal or better; Heady, Double Galaxy (any Hill Farmstead), and I am told Double Sunshine (never had). Unless you trade or drive to Vermont you're not drinking these. Lawsons availability is so random don't even count it in VT.
    Flower Power is the opposite end, not balanced, bitter, and so dry your toungue won't let you forget it.

17. toofdoc

toofdoc Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2011 New Mexico

Fat Heads Head Hunter

18. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2012 Virginia

You will have a difficult time finding something comparable to PtE. This past weekend, at a tasting over at my house, we ran through a list that included (in order of tasting): Heady Topper, Pte, Enjoy By 2-15-13, Maharaja, Lagunitas Sucks, Alewerks-Bitter Valentine, and Sculpin (American IPA). The Heady and Enjoy By are very fragrant with a great hop kick that you would usually expect from a very fresh DIPA. The PtE provides a very smooth almost sweet, yet still citrusy, taste unlike any of the others I have listed. I like the use of some of the Hill Farmstead DIPAs listed above in comparison to the Heady Topper.

19. mani

mani Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2012 New Jersey

+1

Tidesox28 likes this.
  20. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Sucks is the only one in NC that is even close, but it's still different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.