The One that made you like beer.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TastyAdventure, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrcraft

mrcraft Grand Pooh-Bah (3,322) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm with you. I hated beer. After a round of golf at Glen Ivy, I went to Tom's Farm in Corona, I like always do to pick up something to take home, like pizza, cheese, sweets, etc. Then, that one day, I randomly picked up Pliny the Elder, only because I like the simple label. I had no clue about beers, other than I didn't like it.

I finished the bottle, and thought this ain't bad. Then, I researched. Now, I'm hooked!

2. FosterJM

FosterJM Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

Firestone Walker Pale 31.

Cheers!

3. Roger85

Roger85 Pundit (965) Aug 24, 2012 Illinois

Abita Amber on my first trip to New Orleans. Prior to that, I only drank hard liquor and those crappy malt beverages (Mike's Hard Lemonade was a favorite). My first time trying craft was a SNPA, and I dumped it on the ground. I thought it was awful. But a week straight of drinking basically just Abita Amber and I was on my way to being a BA.

4. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky

SweetWater 420, it's been downhill ever since. They make some great stuff down in Atlanta.

5. erikl48

erikl48 Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2011 Pennsylvania

Harpoon ipa was the first I really loved, and it started my ipa freak flag flying

6. SteelCity75

SteelCity75 Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2013 Connecticut

Hmmm. I'd say the beer that sparked my love for beer was Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Before that I only drank BMC beers, with the occasional PBR or Yuengling.

7. Melikeydahop

Melikeydahop Initiate (0) May 19, 2012 New Jersey

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale...I thought to myself..what's this crisp bitter bite..melikey...oh yes melikeydahop...haven't looked back since

8. Stevedore

Stevedore Grand Pooh-Bah (5,072) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

DFH 90 Minute

9. LeRose

LeRose Grand Pooh-Bah (3,509) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This can be tough thinking about, actually. I don't remember not liking beer, ever. A couple of Sam Smiths products were my first craftish beers back in the day, then eventually along came Sam Adams. But I also remember how absolutely cool it was to have a Coors that was smuggled into MA. I drank a lot of what we are calling swill, but I sure appreciate what we have now a whole lot more. It is all relative I suppose...when all one could get was Schlitz, Bud, Miller, original Narragansett, Carling, etc. with the occasional Heineken, well, it is what you drank if you liked beer. I also think the swill might have been slightly better then, or we just didn't know any better. Point is, besides home brew, it was all there was. And I am no historian, but I suspect that way back in the day the numerous small breweries (pre-prohibition) were probably nowhere near as experimental and creative as their modern counterparts (please feel free to educate me on this).

10. CaptJackHarkness

CaptJackHarkness Pundit (919) Aug 18, 2011 New York

I am Irish and German, in my family mothers milk was served with a beer chaser!

(I know, stereotype, but true nonetheless!)

11. TheSaboteur

TheSaboteur Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2010 Nebraska

The usual suspects... Bass, Newcastle, Guinness, Moosehead (I thought I was cool for drinking a canadian lager), but when I had New Belgium 1554 something really clicked. So I always say that 1554 is what got me into craft beer.

12. thecraftculture

thecraftculture Aspirant (255) Nov 28, 2012 Florida

Newcastle/Magic Hat #9

ESeab likes this.
  13. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2009 New York

I have to think it was Yuengling, but more importantly it was the place. It was the early 90's and I went to college already a veteran of pounding Genesee, Labbatt, Molson, etc. Once I turned 21, I started going to Zeno's pub. We would start getting Black and Tans and they had a beers around the world challenge. Hopefully my name is still on the wall.

14. uptomonto

uptomonto Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2012 Indiana

Early 90's, after a particularly hot day of wade-fishing here in So. IN., my buddy's dad insisted this fishing trip we weren't going to quench our thirst with the usual crap - for that day, sitting ice cold in the cooler back at the car, he had Killian's Red...

I know, not the greatest. BUT, I did take notice and started down the road to better beer and homebrewing.

luwak likes this.
  15. Anker13

Anker13 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 New Jersey

My craft beer addiction was more of a gradual process...

Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat got me started, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale got my attention, Stone Arrogant Bastard got me hooked, and Ithaca Apricot Wheat sealed the deal (for nostalgia reasons haha)

16. klinger

klinger Devotee (327) Oct 9, 2012 Ohio

Pete's Wicked Ale.

luwak likes this.
  17. Scalzo

Scalzo Zealot (654) Feb 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Founders Porter

18. bonercity

bonercity Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2012 California

19. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (1,212) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

If you get the chance try a Kane Brewery (NJ) Head High IPA. I think you'll like it if your into IPAs.

20. loafinaround

loafinaround Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 New York

val dieu tripl

Sad, can't recall the beer that started the stout obsession.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.