The One that made you like beer.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TastyAdventure, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RelentlessLefty

RelentlessLefty Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2012 Iowa

a awesome friend who works at el bait shop threw me in head first to Hopslam and Tommy Knocker Imperial nut brown.....and the rest is history

2. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2012 California

Guinness extra stout! and there was no turning back

3. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Pooh-Bah (1,957) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Saranac Black Forest. A rite of passage living in upstate NY were the Saranac Trail mix 12-packs over Xmas break. I brought one to basically every party from the age of 19-22.

4. benidy

benidy Initiate (0) May 4, 2008 Missouri

Aventinus

Had it in a bar, could never find it on the shelf, started exploring craft to find something similar...

5. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (1,212) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

1st beer was a Black Label ( I believe Canadian ) with my Grandpa at age 14 which was more mental bliss than really tasting good. But I think my 1st real enjoyable beer experience was a Molson Golden Ale. A little skunky ( which at the time meant it was considered a stronger beer ) but tasty and went down easy. A fine choice after skiing hard all day. But really I was sold to the golden nectar at age 14. (:

6. mpitts

mpitts Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2013 Kentucky

Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Before that, I could never acquire the taste for beer.

7. lostinfla

lostinfla Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2010 Florida

Miller (3/2)! "the champagne of beers"!!

8. russmann

russmann Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2007 Idaho

I never did BMC's. When I turned 21 my mother gave me a mix-a-six of crafts. That led to Fat Tire, which led to 1554, which led to Chimay Grande Reserve. That was the beer that woke me up.

TastyAdventure likes this.
  9. kingmaker

kingmaker Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2012 Louisiana

Guinness 250th Anniversary

10. thehyperduck

thehyperduck Grand Pooh-Bah (3,986) Feb 26, 2006 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Alexander Keith's.

Yeah, I've always had pretty low standards. I drove a '91 Topaz until last year, and I like the Toronto Maple Leafs. And fat chicks. :wink:

Keith's was the first beer I ever 'liked' enough to drink regularly (before that I mostly stuck to rye/rum & coke), but Fuller's London Porter is what really got me into enjoying beer for something other than the buzz.

6packofbas and ggwheeler like this.
  11. Hawkharvs

Hawkharvs Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2012 Iowa

I used to randomly drink SNPA while in college, then drank boulevard unfiltered wheat, finally Fat Tire found its way to Iowa and I was hooked.

12. wvsabbath

wvsabbath Pooh-Bah (1,851) Apr 29, 2010 West Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Lion stout, picked it up in a mixed 6 pack at a newly opened beer store like 10 years ago.. Was amazed at how different it was, flavorful and strong.

13. ggwheeler

ggwheeler Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 California

Boont amber.

And it's still my recommended gateway beer for BMC drinkers.

Different enough to really notice a change.
    Accessible enough to "get it".
    Cheap enough to afford.
    Easy enough to find.
    Delicious enough that I still have one every now again.

Cheers to first crushes.

First loves is a whole other ball of wax.

14. KISSFR33K

KISSFR33K Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2012 Michigan

stoney creek vanilla porter

15. TheSSG

TheSSG Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

I did a semester abroad in Berlin.
    Across the way from the Aldi was a beverage store. I went in just for the hell of it. Bottles (the real size) were like 70¢ each.
    I figured it was the cheapest way for me to try out German bier (which I heard so many good things about).
    I picked up:
    Schinner Edel Weisse, Schwarzer Steiger, and Lückenwalder Bock. I really just thought buying a "white" and "black" bier, and then one with a deer on it was funny.

So, I went back across the other street to my apartment and poured the Edel Weisse...
    HOLY SHIT!
    I couldn't believe what such flavors were possible.

Next, I tried that Schwarzbier and was equally blown away. The bock rocked my socks off. I brought home the Weisse and the Bock for my dad, but had to leave the bock (d'oh! It's my dad's favorite style!) on account of too much weight.

When I got home, I tried "Black Bavarian" from Sprecher as my intro to American Craft Bier. I couldn't believe that bier made right here in America could be as good as some made in Germany.

And, that was the beginning of it all.

uptomonto likes this.
  16. HardyA

HardyA Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2013 Michigan
    Deactivated

Oberon. Been enjoying Michigan summers ever since

uptomonto likes this.
  17. Kyrojack

Kyrojack Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2012 Indiana

Sam Adam's Noble Pils or Boston Ale. Had them both on the same day.

18. egrace84

egrace84 Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2012 Illinois

The absolute first craft beer that i tasted that got me in to craft beer was New Glarus Uff-da-bock. Loved it and really wish they'd brew it again.

19. ESeab

ESeab Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 New Jersey

Magic Hat #9 and Brooklyn Brown Ale when I was 21. That stuff made me want to drink good beer. Remember when #9 was really really good, like 7 years ago?

luwak likes this.
  20. ehsteve

ehsteve Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2009 Texas

Leffe Blonde.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.