Drinking beer on a cold or when under the weather

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rvajohn, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rvajohn

rvajohn Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2012 Virginia

2. FosterJM

FosterJM Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

Only things I have reviewed.
    Or bourbon.

Cheers!

Leebo likes this.
  3. digita7693

digita7693 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2010 Germany

This question/comment comes up all the time... Why?
    It is not conducive to a speedier recovery and in fact is more likely detrimental, plus your ability to properly taste it is greatly reduced. Take a couple days off and drink water and tea!

Bitterbill, JxExM, vurt and 2 others like this.
  4. lookrider

lookrider Savant (1,152) Apr 22, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I just had the flu and had no appetite for about 4 days and no beer for the same. I just thought it was a waste if I couldn't enjoy it. Started to feel a bit better on the fifth day and had a Hennepin with a bowl of tomato soup and it was exquisite. Generally if it's just a common cold though, I'll drink like any other time

5. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I have not had a beer since Saturday. This cold has lingered since mid December. If I drink this weekend it will be Bookers 125.4 proof. That might cure me?

6. Schwantz

Schwantz Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2012 Florida

Not beer. Scotch w sugar warmed... A hot toddy! Cheers.

hogansct likes this.
  7. hogansct

hogansct Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2011 Rhode Island

I highly recommend making a hot toddy with bourbon. Works like a charm when I have a cold. 2 shots of bourbon, shot of lemon juiice, tablespoon of honey and boiling water.

EdelweissDad, Schwantz and rvajohn like this.
  8. Schwantz

Schwantz Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2012 Florida

^^ I guess all home remedies are "indigenous". I was raised in Scotland... Bourbon somewhat scarce.

hogansct likes this.
  9. krl2112

krl2112 Pooh-Bah (1,682) Nov 10, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

So the report you mention was done by a Japanese brewery. Not saying its not true but perhaps a bit biased. Anyway, I never feel like drinking when under the weather. I typically am stuffed up so I can't smell the beer and it does not taste the same. Also if you drink alcohol while on certain medicines specifically antibiotics it can actually reduce the efficacy of the meds which would prolongate your recovery. Just my two cents.

10. rvajohn

The study also says you have to drink more than a case of beer. . . The idea and rationale of drinking to feel better is supposed to be some what light in thought and humours. Lighten up people.
    I just jones for a tasty beer while I'm sick and know that it is probably not in my best interest to have one. This was just some justification. I'd choose to indulge in a less expensive more readily available beer, if I did choose ot have one. And I did.

Cheers

11. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

I had the flu a couple of weeks ago. It's one of the few times I can actually remember going without any alcoholic beverages for over one week. I had absolutely no desire to drink any beer (and I had some tempting stuff in my fridge).

I'm glad I didn't. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it and it may have made me feel worse.

Bitterbill likes this.
  12. rvajohn

I agree. I feel like death when I have the flu, but a little sniffle and a cough. . different story. There's all sorts of levels of being under the weather.

13. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

you drink water you sleep. you no drink beer.

14. RPH2327

RPH2327 Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2010 Pennsylvania

If you're sick and don't want to drink - don't. If you're sick and you do - do.

For me, a study by a beer producer - about their own beer - concluding that you need to drink (30!) 12oz cans in order for there to be any effect is what it is: You figure it out...

But it does want to make me sign up for the next randomized, controlled trial...

Cdax and rvajohn like this.
  15. cbeer88

cbeer88 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Alcohol dehydrates you, and dehydration is bad for recovery. Sure if you have the sniffles and want a couple of beers, go nuts. But if you have a serious cold/flu/virus type thing going on, I don't know why you'd want to drink beer... (or even feel like drinking beer for that matter)

vurt likes this.
  16. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2010 New York

I generally don't do it. I wanna/need to get better! Some booze in my tea, maybe. Whats the point of trying new/good beer if you can't smell it?

Bitterbill and vurt like this.
  17. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Savant (1,225) Mar 23, 2008 California

I won't break open a Rare or anything, but I'll sip back on a few IPA's if I'm feeling it.

18. PatriotsRule

PatriotsRule Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2012 Massachusetts

scotch is the only cure for a sore throat, cough, cold or soberiety

19. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2011 Texas

I feel like this topic was recently touched on, but I cannot find the thread. At any rate, I stick to hot tea and whiskey(for the rest of course).

20. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Pooh-Bah (1,841) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

Doesn't make sense to me. If I'm a little stuffy, beer tends to make it worse. And of course, it's hard to taste. If I have a sore throat the tannins in red wine do seem to help a little. Gargling with whiskey might be helpful too.

Probably the best rationale for combining alcohol with a cold or flu is that it might be desirable to remain unconscious as much as possible until the infection is healed:grinning: . This is the idea behind Nyquil and similar drugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.