Imperial Stouts: A Justification of Cost?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by infuturity83, Feb 1, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomClem

TomClem Zealot (557) Mar 7, 2012 Nebraska

A bottle of Bourbon County is ~$5 and 15% ABV. Many craft beers are $1.66 per bottle ($10/6pk) and ~5% ABV. If you do the math by $/ABV a Bourbon County is equivalent to many other beers. As others have stated there are many reasons that Imperial Stouts can be costly to make, just as Hops add costs to IPAs. I think you have grossly over exaggerated the difference.

2. Tashbrew

Tashbrew Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2007 California

Bulleittrain-

Thanks for that well written answer! I wrote something quite similar but it got a bit of a rant and then went onto to mention economies of scale. ABI runs a brewery in Chicago that has a great BA Imp Stout. The worlds largest brewing concern has enormus cash reserves and the buying power to pretty much demand whatever they want including the price they pay. Smaller Craft brewers run on very tight budgets and tying up a few hundred thousand bucks for a year is a tough pill to swallow...

Business need to make the margin and show a profit... The brewer is but one part of what a consumer gets charged. The Wholesaler and Retailer take their share.

3. Tashbrew

Tashbrew Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2007 California

Actually, GI has been funded by AB for a while and now that they are outright owned by ABI that somehow the cost of producing BCBS is significantly lower than the typical craft brewer. GI may not even have to make a profit on BCBS when backed by the worlds largest brewing concerrn.

When Macros act like micros it is not a level playing field.

4. endovelico

endovelico Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2008 Portugal

Brewing ingredients are relatively cheap, so sure the extra 30 or 40 SG points will add up but not enough to explain such exorbitant prices.

The culprit is time. One 5-7% ABV ale might take at the very most 2 weeks to ferment while a 10% ABV beer might take disproportionately more. The aging process follows the same logic: While an average 5% Ale might take (at the very most for most styles) 2 months to age and IRS might take 1 year.

5. bulletrain76

bulletrain76 Maven (1,287) Nov 6, 2007 California

This is a good point for people to keep in mind. When massive brewers put out comparatively minuscule releases of high-end beer, it's more about the image and respect than making money. Keep the Goose brand in the beer geeks' heads and milk IPA and 312 for every dollar they can...

herrburgess likes this.
  6. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Pooh-Bah (1,797) Nov 7, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah

This.

7. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Pooh-Bah (1,797) Nov 7, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah

Agreed on BCS.
    Let me add...Thirsty Dog Siberian Night.
    $8/4pk around me.
    Tough to beat.

8. cbeer88

cbeer88 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

People buy barrel aged imperial stouts like they're going out of style. Even Eclipse flies at $30/bottle. Clearly these beers are actually underpriced.

The only reason Bourbon County Stout isn't going to start costing $10/bottle is they plan on making an assload of it.

Craft beer is a luxury good, especially once you get past the standard sub-$15 12-pack. Breweries are either going to price what people will pay, or go out of business trying.

9. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2011 California

Parabola and Abyss would like to have a word with you.

oregone likes this.
  10. Brunite

Brunite Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2009 Illinois

Exactly.

For me...BCBS is the exception. It is one of my top 3 beers and is available at a STILL reasonable (to me) cost for the value delivered. I do not do bombers (the the cost/oz thread). Paying high prices just to harpoon wales is not my deal. I don't tick. I find the highest, reasonably priced, quality and then I indulge. When I can get world class, personal best beer, for the same cost as a Miller lite would cost at a bar or ball-game....done.

11. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2010 New York

Tons of fantastic RIS' for a cheap date!
    Stone RIS -$5.99
    Weyerbacher Tiny -$7.99
    Brooklyn BCS -$7.99/4
    NC Old Raspy - $8.99/4
    Hoppin' Frog BORIS/DORIS - $11.99
    Zywiec Porter (Porter my ass) - $2.99
    Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter (again... yeah right) - $14.99/6
    ST Choklat/Oat/Creme Brulee/Jah-va/Mokah - $8.99

Some of my favorites and regs.

creepinjeeper and szmnnl99 like this.
  12. RandyV

RandyV Zealot (621) Aug 8, 2010 Arizona

$7.49 at the Total Wine near me and totally worth every penny!

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  13. MichPaul

MichPaul Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Michigan

You have picked out some of the most expensive for your example. Not the base price for Stouts at all... OP doesn't work. Founders is one of the best at stouts and I don't know of any that are over priced... FBS? $9.50 a 4pk? Try again bud. You're just hatin because you don't like the style.

14. Schwantz

Schwantz Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2012 Florida

To the q: plz disregard the style completely moving forward. Do not ponder.The style is apparently defunct. ; I will suffer the wherewithal of all personal research and report back my dismal findings on pontificitations of the demise of "stout." Po' me. ; cheers!

15. Blanco

Blanco Savant (1,243) Oct 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

This seems to be an awful big part of it that is often overlooked. Just comparing prices across states and even just within miles of where I live, I have to say it's the distribution channel (both the distributor and the retailer) that often factors in here. It's true for all beers, but there is a much larger disparity for the high demand beers that people have no problem adding a few dollars here, a few dollars there.

FeDUBBELFIST, drtth and Tashbrew like this.
  16. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Listen to this guy, he knows of what he speaks.

Edit - Beer in barrels can get contaminated? Who knew! :grinning:

bostonlogga likes this.
  17. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Crusader (497) Apr 4, 2007 Illinois

Raw materials and supply and demand.

18. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,173) May 15, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Damn California's boasting about their cheap local bombers! I can't even find it anymore around here...

19. tectactoe

tectactoe Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

That is the SE Michigan price >_>

20. davelag

davelag Initiate (0) May 22, 2010 California

When compared with the best Belgian quads and sours it doesn't add up: some of the American breweries are taking advantage of the barrel aged stout's high demand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.