What makes your favorite beer store, your favorite beer store?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beergelden, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beergelden

Beergelden Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2013 Ohio

I really like a rotating selection that keeps it new every time I go in and your sure not to get a skunky beer like those mega stores out there.

I also like being able to see a tag or something that shows a BA rating and what kind of food that beer pairs well with.

What about you?

2. mgoblue5743

mgoblue5743 Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2010 Florida

For me its price and having a beer guy who will save me a good bottle when a new shipment comes in

3. djrn2

djrn2 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,308) Nov 4, 2009 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Totally agree. Mine saves bottles, tells me about new stuff and gives valued customers a 10% discount on any purchase. A store where you know half the people's names and are always saying hi when you walk in. It helps to go a lot too.

Willbfun and EdelweissDad like this.
  4. cproioi

cproioi Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2006 Ohio

The one I help out at.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  5. dbfp210

dbfp210 Zealot (607) Jun 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

The one that's a minute away from my apartment.

checktherhyme and creepinjeeper like this.
  6. nategibbon

nategibbon Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2008 Illinois

Refrigerated beer

7. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

great selection
    competitive prices
    large single selection
    imports
    Beer guy that you can rap with and appreciates your business

8. rusty3335

rusty3335 Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2012 Massachusetts

A weekly beer tasting makes Ball Square Fine Wines my favorite.

9. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma
    In Memoriam

There's a small likker sto' near me that is run by a guy that loves beer as much as I do. While not the largest selection, he always has new stuff coming in that intrigues me. I've found stuff there that even the biggest stores in my town didn't have (Fade 2 Black). Plus, he'll order anything available in the state. As he said, " If I can't sell it, I'll drink it".

jtdolla911 likes this.
  10. jtdolla911

jtdolla911 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2011 Massachusetts

I like stores that don't release rare beers at noon on a weekday as first come, first serve so that the same twelve people get every rare release. I also look for good international selection, I'm an international beer fiend and will go out of my way to buy stuff that I can't find elsewhere.

djrn2 likes this.
  11. --Dom--

--Dom-- Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2012 Missouri

every beer they have they offer as single bottle as well :grinning:

jtdolla911 likes this.
  12. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't know where you are located, but there is a place in Rockland County, NY, that does just that. You can just grab any single out of the sixers on the shelves if you like. (it is kind of annoying to come across a five-pack of something you were looking for, though- but overall I really like the place).

--Dom-- likes this.
  13. BigCheese

BigCheese Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Massachusetts

I like Redstone A lot.

Biggest factor for me is what they have for selection. Competitive pricing is a must. Twitter/website with new arrivals is great. Frequent tastings are always good too.

jtdolla911 likes this.
  14. jtdolla911

jtdolla911 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2011 Massachusetts

Love Redstone, Kamal is a great guy and will help you out with special orders or bringing in specific beers/breweries.

15. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Ohio

They don't have enough room for all their beer and the aisles are overflowing and they have a HUGE cigar selection...and newly installed taps for tasting events and growler fills!!!

16. RichD

RichD Pooh-Bah (2,182) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Trader

My favorite beer store is my favorite beer store because they have a great selection and great people that work there. The co-owner has already told me that he'll put some Parabola aside for me when it comes it. Hopefully he'll do the same for some KBS. Also, it's quite a small store but it definitely is a hidden gem in Rhode Island that few know about.

17. Prh27

Prh27 Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2012 Virginia

It's small, mom and pop shop that always greets me by my first name when I walk in. Any bottle can be purchased as a single. The owner is very up to date on new releases and gets things that chain stores don't. I've actually become a bigger BA just by shopping at this store and always talking to the owner about all things beer related.

He's also retired military (I'm active) and we chat about that sort of stuff as well. I've had a few rare bottles saved for me when he knew I was out of town for work.

18. Willbfun

Willbfun Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2012 New York

Heights Beer & Wine Emporium in Jersey. It's right down the hill from where I live plus they have a great selection & a friendly staff also they have in store taste testings on friday & saturday but they're usually wine or occasionally booze. Flying Fish was there once Saranac & Modelo that girl cinco de mayo was/is a goddess. shirley from clifton.

djrn2 likes this.
  19. larryi86

larryi86 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,106) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I love State Line in Elkton, MD. Great selection, family owned, really care about service , beer guys that really know what they are talking about, and the fact that they hold bottles for me is great!

RichardMNixon and CKYnick01 like this.
  20. Stockfan42

Stockfan42 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2009 Massachusetts

Agreed.

Pricing is always a plus. And I've had the same beer guy at multiple locations and he always keeps me in the loop when certain thing are coming in or will even order stuff upon request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.