Sam Adams IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Shagator, Feb 12, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shagator

Shagator Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2012 Kentucky

Living in Central KY, we have limited choices when it comes to IPAs, especially at the grocery store. I have been trying to find a good/decent IPA that is available on a regular basis. I have seen the Sam Adams "Hops on Tour" or whatever they call it. Is it worth trying? Does Sam Adams make a good IPA? If not, is there a reason why? I am trying to find a good beer that is readily available regardless of the store, but it is becoming harder

2. MaxOhle

MaxOhle Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2012 Illinois

Their Latitude 48 IPA isn't bad, I guess worth trying if you do not have a large selection.

3. jbertsch

jbertsch Pooh-Bah (2,710) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I like their Whitewater IPA better than Latitude 48. Whitewater's a wheat IPA, and it has more of a citrusy flare to it that I dig. It's pretty refreshing, too.

I hear good things about the new IPL in the Spring pack, but I haven't tried it yet.

kirbmeist, szmnnl99 and Knapp85 like this.
  4. Knapp85

Knapp85 Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,688) Dec 25, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm a fan of the Whitewater... I just really like it when it's fresh.

kirbmeist, szmnnl99 and Craigory like this.
  5. Knapp85

Knapp85 Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,688) Dec 25, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The "IPA on Tour" is a Magic Hat thing... I think that is what you are thinking of.

checktherhyme likes this.
  6. klaybie

klaybie Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2009 Illinois

Latitude 48 is pretty good. It was the IPA that started the IPA craze for me. Their others like Tasman Red aren't very good IMO.

7. JimKal

JimKal Savant (1,149) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

I, too, like the Latitude 48. It is an English style IPA, not as hop forward as the West Coast style but still pretty nice. I haven't had their new IPL (India Pale Lager) yet. Mixed packs are a good way to try different offerings but I usually find at least one that I don't enjoy.

8. Craigory

Craigory Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2012 South Carolina

The Hop Tour pack is not all IPA; the Noble Pils is a Pilsner. I think Whitewater IPA is in there as well, which is like a hopped up Belgian Wit. Latitude 48 is solid, though on the maltier side for an IPA.

However, if you can get a hold of Sam Adam's Hop-Ology 12-pack, take advantage of that opportunity. Several cool variations on the IPA style in there.

As far as an easily available grocery store IPA, do y'all get Sierra Nevada out there? Torpedo is a great budget IPA.

9. Craigory

Craigory Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2012 South Carolina

That's not to say those three Hop Tour beers aren't all good, but they may not quite be what you're looking for.

10. 5thOhio

5thOhio Initiate (0) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

While not the most over-the-top IPAs, Sam Adams definitely brews some solid ones.

Is your budget so tight that you can't just go ahead and buy a few to try?

craigo19 and szmnnl99 like this.
  11. sefus12

sefus12 Pundit (884) Sep 7, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

Being that you are in Central KY, do you not get the beer in avatar? West Sixth IPA is one of the best IPAs in the KY market (right there with SN Torpedo and Bell's Two Hearted) and is much better than anything Sam Adams makes (and I think there stuff is a bit better than people give it credit for).

12. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

This link is a guide to what may be available in KY. It's accurate for NY but I can't say if it's the same for KY.
    http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/index.html

13. SenorHops

SenorHops Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Rhode Island

Sam's IPA is OK, but a little on the sweet side for an IPA in my opinion. You'll only know for yourself if you try it. You might like it.

14. Shagator

I really like West Sixth, as well as SN ad Bells. This is more of an issue when I stop at Kroger on the way home and they dont have much of a selection.

15. Shagator

Thank you for all of the comments. When I have the time and the money I usually spring for something that i know I like and that should be good. Its just there are times when i have to stop at the grocery and usually the only thing they have that is not BMC or something like that is a Sam Adams. Last time I went they had 6 or 7 varieties of Sam Adams. I have thought about trying them several times, but I usually end up not getting anything or a six of Sierra Nevada or Red Hook

16. rolltide8425

rolltide8425 Pooh-Bah (2,286) Feb 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The IPL is actually pretty good....all the hoppy citrus flavors of an IPA combined with the crispness of a lager.

17. BetterBeerPlz

BetterBeerPlz Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2007 Arkansas

Double Agent is a nice twist on an IPA. Do you get New Belgium beers? Ranger is a very good IPA for a relatively low price.

18. Tballz420

Tballz420 Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2003 Minnesota

Sam Adams in general makes some pretty solid beer. They have a few clunkers, but they fall victim to undeserved snobbery due to their size.

They were one of maybe 2 or 3 craft breweries keeping the sport alive for quite awhile though

Craigory and HoptimusMax1mus like this.
  19. raffels

raffels Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2009 West Virginia

Which Sierra Nevada sixer? If it's Torpedo, nothing Sam Adam's in the way of an IPA is even gonna come close (no hate, I know it's not their mainstay).

Providence and SenorHops like this.
  20. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'd take Goose Island IPA over Sam in that scenario, provided, of course, that the Kroger carries Goose Island.

JuniperJesus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.