Buying them out

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geocool, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdb150

kdb150 Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

I'm kicking myself for leaving that last bottle of Meantime Naval College Old Porter on the shelf. They even tried to get me to buy it on my way out.

2. crosamich

crosamich Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2007 Florida

Seriously? So now only "beer geeks" should have access to certain beers? How damn elitist can you get?

teal likes this.
  3. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Zealot (633) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Trader

So if you bought the first four 4-pks on day one it would've been okay, but not cool since it was the last four? It's the same thing..."frowned upon in beer circles;" there are many people, especially on this site, that should read that sentence aloud and reflect on how ridiculous they get about beer. You should've told that dude to get over himself.

teal, JimmyW, Andygirl and 2 others like this.
  4. Herbicide

Herbicide Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2011 California

How are you to know they don't have more in the back? Snatch it up.

regularjohn likes this.
  5. Drew26

Drew26 Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 Wisconsin

Well said!

6. Zimbo

Zimbo Pooh-Bah (2,281) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland
    Pooh-Bah

Probably best to leave one of the packs for someone else but its hardly a deal breaker and doesn't warrant an extreme opinion on either side of the fence. Sounds to me like the the cash register guy was just making conversation though I obviously wasn't there at the time. And it seems like the OP is the one making the big deal.

7. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Pooh-Bah (1,977) Nov 16, 2007 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

** so 2 hours after I posted this I had to take a 40 minute drive up north and made a random stop in a beer and bev distributor that was on the way - and there it was !! - the Cherry Rye!! - one bottle on the shelf (next to a dozen Coffee) - I asked the guy at the register if he had any more and he pointed at one more on the counter -
    along with some 4pks of BCBS - he said they got a case or two a while ago and these were the last two bottles -
    amazing!

JimmyW likes this.
  8. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

It was on the shelf. They sell beer, you bought beer. If he didn't want to sell out, he should have held some back to replenish the shelf.

Droogins likes this.
  9. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

I would have tipped the guy with one of those beers and said, "Giving a beer to a complete stranger is considered good karma in beer circles."

robwestcott likes this.
  10. jlordi12

jlordi12 Pooh-Bah (1,844) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I'll bet you five bucks the guy is a BA

11. robwestcott

robwestcott Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2008 Indiana

it was on the shelf, right ? not behind the counter, right ?

buy however much you want.

12. robwestcott

robwestcott Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2008 Indiana

maybe, but i'll bet you ten bucks, he's a dick.

FEUO, RStang13, teal and 1 other person like this.
  13. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

I think the guy just doesn't like to stock shelves.

Bluecane likes this.
  14. Flashy

Flashy Pooh-Bah (1,755) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

That's how you get out of a bad economy (if we ever do with this joker in office). Companies do well, have a product people want to buy. People buy it, you hire more. The trucking company needs to hire to keep up with deliveries to you. The truck builder hires people to build more trucks. The truck drivers hire people to mow their lawn because they are to busy working. The people mowing lawns go out to dinner. The restaurant hires another waiter....

creepinjeeper and teal like this.
  15. Aaron58

Aaron58 Zealot (607) Dec 16, 2007 Massachusetts

IS there any chance that he was saying it sort of tongue in cheek? Like just kidding around with you?

16. themind

themind Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2011 New Jersey

The hard part is expanding and maintaining the quality of the product. Secondly the product say Heady Topper for example would possibly be passed up on if it was wide spread available in surplus. At their current production amount people are selling they're children to get it. I am not a business major or anything, just an opinion.

17. Flashy

Flashy Pooh-Bah (1,755) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

The German and English brewers have been making great products on a large scale for centuries.

18. themind

themind Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2011 New Jersey

We were talking about smaller breweries expanding, not who already is doing it.

19. Tmonk13

Tmonk13 Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2012 Pennsylvania

Who cares. we are all just "renting" beer anyways. If they cared about getting completely "bought out" they would hold a few back for a later date. Not like you were stealing it. sheesh that guy needs to get over himself and this idea of bad beer karma. Not like you bought out the store of bread and milk during a natural disaster.

20. RamoneTavares

RamoneTavares Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2013 Virginia

My local store was treating Hopslam like it was God's piss. The mgr said to me he suspected one guy was sending his entire construction crew in one by one to wipe him out. What a paranoid prick. If it was something that was truly worthy of generating bad karma, they would have never put it on the shelf. I'm not sure who pisses me off more the elitist bastards who run these stores or you sir. Mr. Wipeout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.