Negative Reviews deserve some meat!

Talk Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by JK4Stout, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JK4Stout

JK4Stout Initiate (0) May 10, 2010 Virginia

Feel free to give me the other side of this arguement, but I just notice that now that members can give a quick review I am seeing more and more negative reviews with no explanation as to why. If I were to review something average, I can see just doing the quick review...but man if something is just terrible let people know why!

JohnnyBarman, DrewCapzz and CASK1 like this.
  2. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,103) Apr 21, 2009 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

All reviews deserve "meat"...

(PS: Gimme some steak!)

stephens101 and Jugs_McGhee like this.
  3. victory4me

victory4me Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2004 Pennsylvania

Why does a negative review need more "meat" than a positive review?

DubbelTrubbel and djrn2 like this.
  4. JK4Stout

JK4Stout Initiate (0) May 10, 2010 Virginia

Both SHOULD certainly have information to coincide with the rating. But I like to look at reviews before heading out to the craft stores, so if something is negative on a beer I'm already leaning towards, I just think mentioning WHY the experience was negative would be helpful.

5. merc7186

merc7186 Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2010 New York

It is tiresome to read someone crap all over a beer without explanation. Just saying 'I bought a beer style that I hate' then giving it horrible scores is not good enough. Things like thin, watery, tastes like ass, etc are good reasons to give it a bad score and add credibility to the review.

Everyone knows that bacon is the white whale of meats.

JohnnyBarman likes this.
  6. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,103) Apr 21, 2009 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Filet Mignon, baby: steak wrapped in bacon AKA best of both worlds...

woemad likes this.
  7. djrn2

djrn2 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,308) Nov 4, 2009 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Everyone has there own opinion, obviously. There are a few people that right reviews on this site that I trust. You know them when you see them. When I want to look up a brew I only look those few dudes who's reviews I trust so all others really don't matter to me. I know that sounds dumb and arrogant but for me it's the truth. Sorry to all other reviewers, but I just really trust certain reviews. If people don't like a beer I say it's there right to say so explanation or not.

8. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2010 Washington

Some of my reviews are only three lines long. I start with a brief description of the appearance. Then, I say how it smells; if it smells like Bigfoot's dick, I don't need to add anything. Then I say how it tastes to me. Then how it feels in my mouth. Finally, my overall impression of the beer.

Seems pretty detailed to me.

With the addition of "hads" to the reviews, I can see why the average of many beers would decline. Sometimes if a beer is so unremarkable I don't even feel like writing a review, then I don't - I just assign a number to the beer.

2beerdogs and JohnnyBarman like this.
  9. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2006 Tennessee

How does Bigfoot's dick feel in your mouth?

10. JohnnyBarman

JohnnyBarman Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2009 Canada (ON)

The scores really force me to read the reviews, and like you I find that I'm looking for details. If a brew didn't work for you, what went wrong with it? Not right for the style, flavors off, what? There are enough examples of people "slamming" a brew by giving it a 3-3.5, but in their comments there is no reason for it - worse, it actually is a positive review.
    I've been doing that more and more recently. If I can't say anything of interest about a brew, I don't bother reviewing it, especially if others have done a better job than I at doing so.

11. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2010 Washington

Full bodied for sure.

12. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

All review need more meat and people need to approach all reviews with the right mindset. Numbers (good or bad) are meaningless without the words which are behind them, too much emphasis is placed on the numbers. We also drink beer with our own palates, not another reviewers.

I would suggest reading fewer reviews and reading only the reviews of a select few. If I read reviews I will read those of people I know and palates I trust. I then interpret that information accordingly. I may not agree with them but I know their tastes and can use the information they provide to see how it may fit with my tastes.

harrymel likes this.
  13. Jugs_McGhee

Jugs_McGhee Grand Pooh-Bah (5,956) Aug 15, 2010 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think all reviews deserve meat. That's why I'm on this website in particular. But when I look at some of these 4 line reviews for beers I know are incredibly complex and subtle, I'd honestly prefer that the reviewer had just put in a Had rather than a review.

I'm always trying to write better reviews and as others have noted there are a select few I look at for examples of how it's done.

14. krl2112

krl2112 Pooh-Bah (1,682) Nov 10, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ina
    I agree. Good, bad or indifferent are all the same. I have done a ton of quick reviews. Not sure why say, it was thin, tastes like ass, is of importance. I guess if u said, way too much heat or overly hoppy, that would be helpful, but if many people give something a bad review, then I would just stay clear myself.

C2H5 likes this.
  15. C2H5

C2H5 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 Illinois

Agreed on the Meat..give those good-for-nothins some MEAT!

krl2112 likes this.
  16. corby112

corby112 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 Pennsylvania

Hads = vegan

I do have around 250 of them but they were all entered before they counted toward anything. I'm slowly trying to update them with full reviews.

17. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Grand Pooh-Bah (4,878) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

How can you have any meat, when you haven't eaten any puddin'?!?

decimator and woemad like this.
  18. LeRose

LeRose Grand Pooh-Bah (3,509) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Nice....

19. lsummers

lsummers Maven (1,251) Jun 21, 2010 California

Well I think some people realize they have been scoring a little to graciously.

20. woemad

woemad Grand Pooh-Bah (5,145) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

"Everyone knows that bacon is the white whale of meats."
    What about steak wrapped in bacon? <cue sounds of thuds against bottoms of tables>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.