Sticker Shock at Beer Bars (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by shebby, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shebby

shebby Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Utah

Continuing a thread that appeared to end last April...sticker shock's still happening, folks. Last night we frequented one of our favorite beer bars in KC for a couple rounds. I noticed that a barrel-aged version of Nebraska Brewing Company's Hop God was on tap via the board that lists seasonal beers, and decided to order it. Of course, this bar doesn't display prices for any beers on the board, and I (foolishly) didn't think to ask the price beforehand. So the beer comes back and it's in a tiny six ounce snifter, which is understandable. Since I enjoy the regular version of Hop God, I thought it was pretty delicious, but then the check came: for a few good ounces, I was out 9 bucks! Now I know that Nebraska is spendy to begin with, and that bars also mark up prices, but I still wasn't prepared for that, especially since I've had six ounce pours of Cantillon for cheaper in the same city. Lesson learned: always inquire into the price if it's not listed! Anyone else have a similar story?

2. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I live in Boston. I have a similar story everytime I go out.

3. phisherman77

phisherman77 Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2008 Missouri

They got me at the Saucer on that same beer recently! Thankfully, I really enjoyed it. It hurt a little bit less, but still hurt to see that it was $9.

shebby likes this.
  4. seplo

seplo Pundit (923) Sep 8, 2009 Connecticut

In New Haven CT, we have the Imperial Stout Trooper that comes out every year and for the first 2 yrs during happy hour it was half price at my favorite beer bar.Now for the last 2 yrs it's on the no happy hour list, I love the beer but it hard to justify a $8 price tag.....CHEERS

5. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Crusader (407) Oct 26, 2012 Colorado

I just spent $500 on 6 SNPA's--- or---- I lost $500 at Blackjack and drank 6 free SNPA's. Either way, those were some expensive ass beers.

6. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 Indiana

I have some reverse sticker shock. There is a bar near me that on "Midwest Night" does $3.25 Hopslam (10oz.) and $3.25 BCBS (12 oz.)

7. whendeathsleeps

whendeathsleeps Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2011 Indiana

:astonished:

ABisonEgo and loafinaround like this.
  8. Ivegotmule

Ivegotmule Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 North Carolina

New bar a mile away from my house. Awesome. Old raspy on tap. Awesome. 10 oz pour 9$. Ouch. And a 10oz sexual chocolate was only 5.50!? Go figure.

smutty33 and shebby like this.
  9. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Grand Pooh-Bah (4,092) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society

and to make matters worse, happy hours aren't the savings that they used to be.

Plus don't forget the infamous "tip creep" in terms of expected % for satisfactory service, and arguably service isn't what it used to be either.

szmnnl99 likes this.
  10. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Pooh-Bah (2,215) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Some of you aren't satisfied with your happy hours? Oh lawd, how do you all survive?

11. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2008 Wisconsin

$9 for a 23 ounce pour of Furthermore's Fatty Bombalotty, which you can get a sixer of it for about the same price. A 12 ounce pour of Hopslam was only $7. Oh and this was during "Happy Hour", so each beer was $1 off.

I've found most beer bars I've been to do a terrible job of having an updated beer menu with prices. I shouldn't have to ask, nor should I be shocked at your prices.

12. AlaskanYoung

AlaskanYoung Pundit (819) Dec 1, 2011 Arkansas

Ask yourself one question. Was it worth it?

13. teal

teal Initiate (0) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

Local has happy hour.

3 dollar pizzas
    3 or 4 dollar drafts and not a BMC to be seen on draft. Hopslam, Bigfoot, Southern Tier Oat, Ommegang Abby etc.

12 ounce pours - 3 bucks or 4 - depending.

dsal89 likes this.
  14. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

What did you expect the price to be?
    Are there other $9.00 beers there?

15. YCantWeNotBeSober

YCantWeNotBeSober Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2012 Michigan

I did awesome tonight. Got a 5oz. pour of 2010 KBS for $5!, followed by a 5oz pour of bolt cutter for $6! I almost paid the equivalent amount for the bottle of bolt cutter months earlier (and I had to purchase a ticket). Long story short, you win some, you lose some, but generally you remember the beer, not the price, so it's worth it.

jgluck and Dizbro21 like this.
  16. tectactoe

tectactoe Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

15$ for 6 oz pours of KRE and KBE, each. Fucking worth it.

Czar_chasm likes this.
  17. cbeer88

cbeer88 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Yep - it ain't gonna stop either.

I'm seriously starting to have concerns about the long-term sustainability of dedicated craft beer bars. My 12oz bottle cost at store has gone up from about $1.50 to $1.75 in the last 5 years. Yet my 14oz "pint" (with about 12oz of liquid) cost has gone from $4.50 to $6.50 in that same time frame. That's before we even get into the crazy 8oz $12 pours.

If this keeps up, you'll be paying $2 in a store and $9 at a bar for a local IPA. I simply don't know how people will continue to justify that kind of delta on a night out.

18. a74gent

a74gent Pundit (981) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

I saw this and immediately wondered if it was another soul suffering in the People's Republic of Massholedom. Having a few places with good beer lists is nice, but the appalling lack of freedom and big brother bullshit here is nuts.

19. Ohsaycanyoubeer

Ohsaycanyoubeer Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2012 Colorado
    Deactivated

They won't. Bars that insist on 600 or 700% markups will fail and those that make things more reasonable will succeed. Right now I'm looking at $7 16oz pours of things like Maduro... it's getting to the point where I refuse to pay that for something I can get a 6'er of for $9. There will always be situations where I will pay more for something rarer or something that doesn't get bottled... but how much does that really make a bar overall? The $7 Maduro is where the make a majority of their money.

I'm sorry, but when you aren't paying for, or paying peanuts for, labor... there is plenty of opportunity to make a profit.

20. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Pints of Raspy are $5 around here. $9/10oz? Ouch indeed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.