Eisbock

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HopsintheSack, Feb 20, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benny3000

Benny3000 Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2012 Michigan

I was at the release for this last Saturday and was able to try both Eisbocks on tap in additional to getting a bottle of each. It was quite a scene there. The blueberry smelled like a plate of blueberry pancakes and the taste was quite remarkable. Kuhnhenn might very well be the best brewery in the US.

FEUO likes this.
  2. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Eisphyre from Capital is a nice eisbock. They only distribute in a few states around Wisconsin,but it has been produced fairly recently and should be much easier to land that the Kuhnhenn.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  3. GrindFatherBob

GrindFatherBob Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2010 New York

I think they'd need better QC to claim that title.

4. Andygirl

Andygirl Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 Michigan

No quality issues with the eisbocks :grinning:

Benny3000 likes this.
  5. tommyz

tommyz Initiate (0) May 28, 2007 Michigan

Or DRIPA, or BB4D

Benny3000 likes this.
  6. DrHopHead

DrHopHead Initiate (0) May 18, 2010 Michigan

I was there as well and was able to try both on draft ($15 for a 6oz pour).Both were fantastic, but I gave the edge to the Raspberry, while my friend gave the edge to the Blueberry. The Michigan Mud was also solid (1 bottle limit on that as well).

Benny3000 likes this.
  7. Benny3000

Benny3000 Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2012 Michigan

The Michigan Mud was unreal. It tasted like what I wanted the Frangelic Mountain Brown to taste like.

8. ao125

ao125 Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2010 Virginia

I've been a fan of eisbocks for a while. Aventinus is like drinking alcoholic raisin bran. I'd love to get my hands on some Kuhnhen.

sfsean28 likes this.
  9. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 California

Looks like I have a new style to try. Thanks for the regulars to look for.

10. sfsean28

sfsean28 Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2008 New Jersey

Redhook Eisbock 28 was a limited release and then I never saw again. It was very good. Vancouver Island Hermanator Ice Bock was a gift from a traveling relative. Best I can do is pick up a Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock. They are available everywhere.

11. adamant1912

adamant1912 Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2010 Michigan

Both the raspberry and blueberry were delicious, and I would say worth the hype because they (especially the blueberry) are unlike anything i've ever had. More like a dessert beer if anything, though. I am curious as to whether there is something similar being produced/sold. If so, please let me know.

12. tommyz

tommyz Initiate (0) May 28, 2007 Michigan

Raspberry is still on draft..

13. bulldogp04

bulldogp04 Initiate (0) May 25, 2008 Indiana

Both beers amazing on tap. I gave Blueberry the edge, although it's hard to choose one over the other. Tasted like a Blueberry Tootsie Pop in the best possible way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.