Beer Gimmicks (Cans that change colors...?)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Smitty1988, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2012 Arizona

We all have seen these large brewers introduce gimmicky stuff instead of better beer ( Large mouth can, with vent hole. Twisty bottles that activate your pilsners flavor. And My favorite, A can that changes colors!! ) Who are they marketing this stuff to?
    Does packaging and bottle style get you to buy the beer, how about any gimmicks in the craft world?

2. bccocx

bccocx Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2007 Texas

Most of the gimmicks I can think of are all done by BMC. And no, none of the gimmicks get me to drink their beer. These are all being marketed to people who regularly drink BMC and not craft beer. Some of the gimmicks are definitely aimed at binge drinkers (frats, college kids, etc.). Some are simply aimed at people that don't know any better. Why does Coors Light need to be super cold? Because it taste like shit when it gets warm. Wait - it always taste like shit no matter what the can looks like

As far as craft beer goes, certain labels definitely catch the eye. The most important thing to me though is the style... not the color/shape of the bottle.

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I just read that Sam Adams is redesigning the can for the Boston Lager so it more mimics drinking out of a glass.

4. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

I love when Miller introduces the punch top can, essentially letting you shotgun the beer without jabbing your keys thru the side and then tells you to drink responsibly. I would rather have a craft innovation that helps me drink tasty beers slower

19etz55, frazbri and Smitty1988 like this.
  5. Dools9

Dools9 Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2011 Massachusetts

When Coors Light is bordering freezing (like below 38 chilling on ice for a few days), it tastes like nothing to me. 100 degree day, its pretty refreshing. Once it gets even a bit warm its pretty narsty. That said, the gimmicks are stupid to say the least.

6. ShanePB

ShanePB Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Gimmicky or not, I must say I'm intrigued by the concept Sly Fox is going with on (some?) of their new cans:
    [​IMG]

kuhndog, BigGene, Squidly and 2 others like this.
  7. Jose2412

Jose2412 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2012 Michigan

If you just take a can opener to a can of beer it works great and doesn't leave a sharp edge.

Im serious. Try it.

8. pghlee

pghlee Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2006 Georgia

I collect cans so i welcome gimmicks and new innovations. keeps the hobby fresh

docnose likes this.
  9. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Magic bombers that increase the price-per-ounce?

10. channels321

channels321 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2012 Texas

[​IMG]

pghlee likes this.
  11. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Try the new craft sippy cup. Available as soon as the distributors feel like sending them out.

12. mecummins

mecummins Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2012 Illinois

I read this too. It seems like an awful lot of research and production $$$ for SA Larger.

13. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky

Use a coffee straw. It'll take forever.

Squidly likes this.
  14. beernut

beernut Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2008 New Jersey

Kate the Great, Dark Lord Day, Darkness Day, Black Tuesday release, be part of our club and you get 1st chance to buy. This bourbon barrel aged beer is brewed once a year, limited production, come one come all, buy it before this rarity is sold out. Nah, no gimmicks here in the craft world.

15. Pecan

Pecan Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2012 Arizona

I'm totally influenced by packaging, just not in the way that BMC would like. I think how beer is packaged says something about the brewery's attention to detail, reverence of the product, and general personality. Does it trump the flavor? Not a chance. Trash beer can be packaged nicely and great beer can come in crap packaging, but it's a clue that might get me to try one before another all other things equal.

Marketing is crucial for any business that sells something and the craft industry is no different in this regard. We just happen to have our own flavor of marketing. The difficult part is either getting normal people to buy into craft marketing or finding marketing that influences the purchasing habits of both beer geeks and normal folk.

Think about the last time you tried to convince a BMC drinker to drink one of your craft brews. You probably had to pseudo-market craft to them on terms that they identify with.

cwreay90, sjverla and Smitty1988 like this.
  16. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

"Creating" a glass proclaimed as new industry standard as a marketing tool for your latest collaboration beer.

Wearing a cease and desist order as a badge of honor (and quite possibly gunning for one from the start) in order to gain attention from the press.

Purposely limiting production of one-off's/specials to put "demand in front of supply"

Breweries advertising the amount of hops added to a beer without telling you the batch size.

Advertising IBU #'s.

Cute animal mascots.

Pricing beer way outside the range of industry equivalents.

Wax top bombers & cork 'n caged 750's, box set trunks, etc.

17. bccocx

bccocx Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2007 Texas

Unfortunately, we don't have events like that in Texas (beyond certain beers only being released at bars). I am willing to receive samples of all of those beers to see if the gimmick works. Consider me a lab rat.

18. Vav

Vav Savant (1,025) Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

Barrel aging, wax dipping, citra hopping.

19. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

You mean this?

[​IMG]

KevSal and Scalzo like this.
  20. sjverla

sjverla Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

Thank you! I'm usually the first one that steps in to defend the role marketing on threads like these.

Marketing spend ≠ inferior product. It can, but it's not a foregone conclusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.