Drain Pouring, acceptable?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djrn2, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djrn2

djrn2 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,308) Nov 4, 2009 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Just wondering what the general consensus was on this. I like to fill 10/12.7/16oz growlers up with the remaining beer of a big bottle to drink the next night. The only time I DP is when a beer is God awful. One of those disgusting barrel aged Mikkellers comes to mind.

kmatlack likes this.
  2. BradStokley

BradStokley Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2013 Maryland

My feeling is, if you're not going to drink it than it's just taking up space so get rid of it. I try to first see if any friends/family will take it. If no takers then down the drain it goes.

3. shuajw

shuajw Pundit (830) Aug 12, 2007 Georgia
    Trader

If I don't enjoy a beer, I stop drinking it. That usually results in it getting poured out in the sink. No need to slog through something that I don't like.

4. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Grand Pooh-Bah (4,092) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society

DP if it isn't worth drinking. I throw away lousy pizza too - not worth the calories.

kmatlack, Hopsiam14, ChanChan and 3 others like this.
  5. dmeadows

dmeadows Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2002 New York

It's your beer you can do whatever you want with it. General I use any remaining for cooking, though some aren't fit for cooking and then I end up drain pouring dinner.

6. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

If the beer sucks and you hate drinking why do it? Because you don't like to waste beer? It it's not good it's not good, hell I drain poured a Maharaja that was way too sweet and I hated it so down it went.

Mercury4040 and 19etz55 like this.
  7. mcrago

mcrago Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2012 Indiana

If I don't like a beer, I force myself to finish it. That way, the memory of the disgusting taste remains in my head for a long time to teach me a valuable lesson not to purchase "anything on the shelf that looks good".

8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yeah, been there, done that. I will say that if I come across another infected beer, I won't drain pour it. Mix it with a quality IPA and the sink drain goes thirsty.:wink:

9. fox227

fox227 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2010 California

I'll drainpour only if it's physically too painful to finish drinking because of a stomach ache, or acid reflux, or gag reflex... but if it's just a mediocre brew, then I'll finish it.

10. victory4me

victory4me Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2004 Pennsylvania

I've drain poured beers based on aroma alone without even taking a sip.

Like a gangsta...

11. smartassboiler

smartassboiler Pooh-Bah (2,482) Apr 9, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I offer bottles to friends usually. I do mention I wasn't a fan, but my taste buds have no bearing on theirs.

BedetheVenerable likes this.
  12. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2011 Colorado

Actually gangsters do not pour beer down the drain, they pour it on the ground. For their homies. Nomsayin?

13. jrnyc

jrnyc Pooh-Bah (2,988) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I dont like it, down the drain it goes. Too many other beers I like to waste brain cells on beer I don't like.

BradStokley likes this.
  14. victory4me

victory4me Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2004 Pennsylvania

Touché. Gangstas don't say "touché" either, do they?

15. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2013 Michigan

with those rules how do you get to try new stuff that you might or might not like?

16. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2013 Michigan

I only drainpour if its infected or makes me feel like throwing up.

17. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I am having deja vu, I thought I already responded to this thread. Anyway stop wasting your time and use a wine stopper instead of pouring into a growler, it works better. As for drain pours, it has to be awful to go down the drain, I hate wasting money.

beercanman, looseteeth, JrGtr and 5 others like this.
  18. mcrago

mcrago Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2012 Indiana

I should have said "everything" instead of "anything". Like many BA's I still make the mistake of buying shitty beer from time to time. I guess I just don't drain pour in order to teach myself a lesson. I also tend to purchase beer on the expensive side, so I feel guilty about drain pouring it...

19. baconman91

baconman91 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 Ohio

I try to give my Bad purchases (few but still happens) to someone, maybe they'll enjoy it..
    :slight_smile: BUT there are times when even I don't want to be associated with one..so YES the Drain does operate in my house 4 Absolute shit!

20. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Pooh-Bah (1,797) Nov 7, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah

I drain pour whalez.

JK, not really.
    I'd only drain pour something infected or something that literally made me want to puke (Mikkeller Black Hole).

kmatlack and StubFaceJoe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.