'04 La Folie

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by HopHealth, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopHealth

HopHealth Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Ohio

I realize this is cheating, but I'm considering buying an 2004 vintage La Folie. He is selling it for $135. Is this high, or to be expected? I'm fairly new, and have nothing worthy of a trade, and have no clue of "market value"

I'm also curious as to your thoughts on the beer in general.

2. HopHealth

HopHealth Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Ohio

Thanks for moving this BTW. Now I'll get about 1/3 of the views. I'd say beer talk is equally as applicable...

3. corby112

corby112 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 Pennsylvania

La Folie ages very well but that seems really expensive. I had an 02 two years ago and it was amazing. I think I paid $35 for it.

HopHealth likes this.
  4. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

I wouldn't call it cheating at all, but I would call it overpriced. I haven't had a 10 year old La Folie so I can't comment on whether it's amazing, terrible, or something in between. For $135, though, you could get plenty of awesome beer that is definitely enjoyable.

5. mdfb79

mdfb79 Poo-Bah (5,678) Jan 11, 2010 New York
    Society

I drank an '04 La Folie about a year ago and thought it was drinking great; it had definitely held up.

That being said I wouldn't pay $135 for it personally. I believe I paid somewhere in the $40-50 range for it and it was at a bar.

6. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Disciple (389) Sep 24, 2012 Nebraska

I didn't even know they were making La Folie in 2002. When did they start bottling it?

7. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Drank a 2002 last Christmas and it was great, but I still wouldn't pay that much.

8. TheSaboteur

TheSaboteur Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2010 Nebraska

It was good, but it wasn't that good.

BrettHead likes this.
  9. CurtisMcArthur

CurtisMcArthur Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2009 Tennessee

1999 was the first year

Brandonbrew and CowsandBeer like this.
  10. BramanBrew

BramanBrew Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2013 Colorado

I was just on the New Belgium Brewery tour yesterday and a lovely lady on the tour said she had a bottle of 1999 La Folie back home in Cali that she bought herself 16 yrs ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.