1 yr old dragons milk

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by theonegman, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonegman

theonegman Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2016 Michigan

i was in the store today and found a year old bottle of dragons milk. What's your guys experience with dragons milk with a year on it? Any difference at all? I won't be able to drink it for a few weeks.

2. moshea

moshea Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

It will be just as thin and wartery as it was a year ago.

Great BBA Stout on tap. Very average BBA Stout in a bottle.

3. vette-ss

vette-ss Initiate (181) Nov 5, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

It will be just fine. I had some sitting around 2 yrs old and was also worried but I didn't notice anything off. It's not the best bba stout out there, but I do think its the best bba stout that's available 365 days of the year at every store in every town (and can be had for $6.50 a bomber at Costco).

t4haughton, azurel and bozodogbreath like this.
  4. Kyle19473

Kyle19473 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2016 Pennsylvania

I have a few in my cellar that are around a year-old. Been meaning to compare to a fresh one to see the differences. One of my favorite easily available BBA Stouts.

5. moshea

I'll give you that. I rarely buy a bottle of DM, but like how fairly it is priced and how widely it is distributed

6. DaveBar

DaveBar Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2013 Canada (ON)

I aged a dozen for a year then opened one. No bourbon left at all. Huge headache the next day. Brought them back for a refund. Definitely drink fresh and do not age.

7. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Meyvn (1,213) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

You returned beer that you had in your possession for a year because it was old?

8. not2quick

not2quick Savant (961) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Wait...........what??

mwyatte and Vtaranto like this.
  9. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Aspirant (205) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Trader

Drank one bottled Nov 15' 2 weeks ago, terrible. Bourbon is gone, strong licorice flavor, thin carbonation and very boozy. Drain pour after 5oz.

10. moshea

Words escape me.

mwyatte, ManBearPat, Vtaranto and 2 others like this.
  11. LeVin86

LeVin86 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2016 New Jersey

I've heard about how LCBO works from wine boards. Weird to hear about beers though.

12. Fordcoyote15

Trader

I don't know what this means?

13. LeVin86

LeVin86 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2016 New Jersey

Since DaveBar's location is listed in Ontario, my assumption was that he purchased his beer through the state-owned LCBO store. As a state-owned business, their practices appears to be little different. I've heard stories of wines being returned after years being cellared, as long as you had proof of purchase still on hand. So in that context, I don't think returning a BA stout that's an year old is as outrageous as some people perceived to be.

But I don't live there, only heard stories, so I might be completely off base.

Fordcoyote15 likes this.
  14. not2quick

not2quick Savant (961) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

So the LCBO is basically Walmart. Pretty sure you could return a used condom at Walmart.

15. Fordcoyote15

Trader

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the detailed explanation sir

16. DaveBar

Sorry for the delay. Yes I live in Ontario and the LCBO allows me to bring back any unopened alcohol for full refund within 30days with receipt. If I open something, drink some and it's not good I can bring it back for full credit as long there is most of the liquid there. Never experienced an issue unless it has gone past it's best before date. No expiry date, no issues.... so far but I have returned items on many, many occasions. Mainly wine and no proof of purchase is ever required for full credit- again refunds capped at 30 days with receipt. They will simply scan the item and if it was ever sold at the LCBO ever you are good to go! Full credit. (again cannot be expired to a best before date on a bottle). There are many more details and loopholes but I just want to keep the explanation brief.

The dragon's milk was fantastic when I bought it fresh. Bought a wack more for the cellar then when I opened one a year later no bourbon. 650ml bombers bought at the LCBO for $6.50/ea CAD which in today's conversion would be less than $5.00USD. LCBO insulates us from some currency fluctuations and other international tariffs to a degree

I have brought back a bottle of gin 10+ yrs old I didn't want and two bottles of wine 5+yrs old that I opened one of and did not like so I brought the rest back (and the one I opened) all for full credit.

Going to bring back a ton of beer next week to the LCBO for credit and they won't bat an eyelash. From a sealed case of Roche10's to 18 loose ones. Only need to say I opened one last night and it seemed off. No questions after that. Very liberal however someone last year brought back a bottle of Smirnoff and they drained the vodka and replaced with water. So goes the story. Now they just ask more questions and want to see your driver's license then no problem.

#16 DaveBar, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    mwyatte likes this.
  17. DaveBar

err no questions after that on the first instance above I mean no questions as in they will accept the bottles back and not refuse them which is very nice.

mwyatte likes this.
  18. moshea

I stand corrected. Thank you that information

19. tepie

tepie Initiate (79) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

Drank a 2014 a few weeks ago that my buddy found sitting in a cooler at a store, tasted great, always enjoy this beer and its availability.

20. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,437) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I concur that this beer does not age well. Having a ~1-year-old bottle right now and the bourbon has faded as well as the sweetness I like so much. Still some oak but the oxidation has already started to deteriorate the flavor profile.

21. ManapuaMan

ManapuaMan Meyvn (1,242) Apr 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

If nothing else this thread goes to show that taste is subjective, and when you layer in a cellaring componant it gets even more varied. I've never had good luck buying beers that are a year+ old from a store. In the past I went with the "the store aged the beer for you" line of reasoning but had poor results. When I look back at those purchases it's likely the beer was stored in an environment that was exposed to bright lights for 12+ hours a day and a near constant 72 degrees. Not ideal conditions for aging beer. Bottom line - if the beer has been sitting around for over a year and has been out of your hands - it's a crapshoot. For what it's worth I've enjoyed 15 month old Dragon's Milk very much. Still lots of barrel character and silky smooth.

22. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,437) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Good point since mine actually came from a distributor who was trying to offload mystery boxes of beer (some old beers, some not so old) for dirt cheap. Had 4 Dragon's Milks in my mystery box. Drank the first 3 pretty much immediately and they were delicious as usual so I figured why not age one for a year? True, they were probably sitting for 3-6 months before I got my hands on it but since they tasted so good initially I figured they were fine. Just goes to show that, even when buying "fresh" beer, you never know what it's been through even in the short time frame since its birth that can make it deteriorate.

23. Gaddabble

Gaddabble Devotee (476) Mar 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

It's not my favorite beer but I've had it at one and two years and preferred both to fresh. I find it has a harsh edge that is unpleasant and the age seemed to reduce it.

24. FlaviusG

FlaviusG Initiate (155) Aug 15, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

I drank a ~1 year bottle of the version with chilies, I thought it was good. I don't remember exactly, but I think the chilies fell off a little but it was still a good burn in the throat from it.

25. TarHeelPanther

TarHeelPanther Initiate (40) Nov 25, 2015 Pennsylvania

Gets very thin and the flavors are not as robust...found this to be true with the Chilies and Triple Mashed variants

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.