10 Barrel in Denver has closed

Discussion in 'US - West' started by Todd, Nov 19, 2022.

1. Todd

Todd Founder Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

From Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/ClEhldopNqK/

2. Reidrover

Reidrover Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Wonder why?

sharpski and woemad like this.
  3. PatKorn

PatKorn Aug 30, 2007 Hawaii

Lasted longer than SD 10 barrel...

4. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

It always felt like an odd decision to be here...or in San Diego for that matter. It's almost like AB decided to specifically put 10 Barrel locations in the places where competition would be the most fierce. They didn't exactly look for value real estate, either.

I have nothing against 10B. Their beers are fine to good and people have said their food was pretty killer at the Denver location. Thing is, if I'm in that area there are like a dozen places I'd rather go. That's no exaggeration, either. That area is absolutely flooded with beer. If I'm going to support a larger brewery (which I have zero issues with), I'd support Coors at the Blue Moon or AC Golden locations. If I'm buying something at the store, there's nothing wrong with Apocalypse and such. Trick is, I'd rather buy something local that's just as good. I don't think that's just me because their stuff collected dust around town. Hop Valley doesn't seem to be doing too bad, and their story is kinda similar.

Ratman197 and Reidrover like this.
  5. Reidrover

Society

I was pissed when they sold out, but kinda forgave them (unlike Elysian, who i still detest). But I think AB-Inbev just don't know what to with brands like this. What works in Bend..or Portland or Seattle, for some reason will not work in very similar places like Denver.

ChicagoJ, sharpski and jakecattleco like this.
  6. Reidrover

Society

Local is the key word here. Sweetwater brewed in Co) tried to muscle in to the scene here in Oregon this year, but as far as i can tell failed. Why buy a flabby DIPA in a can for $4 when i can get the same in Big Ballard for $2?

ChicagoJ likes this.
  7. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Sweetwater seems to be doing pretty well out here. The stuff on shelves is moving and their tasting room in Ft. Collins is packed in spite of literally being right beside Odell and only a couple minutes from New Belgium. In general, I don't think CO. is particularly price sensitive compared to other places. The local FB groups seem to always get recent transplants complaining about $7 pints only be answered by hundreds of shrugs. I couldn't even tell you what a Sweetwater 6 or 12 pack costs, but I've bought several of 'em.

ChicagoJ and Reidrover like this.
  8. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Near as I can tell, this is their primary selling point. Like Goose Island IPA and the wheat, they're seen as "crafty," but their keg prices are significantly below the going rate (or so I've been told). That tends to make them attractive to taphouses and retail outlets, who can price their beer at the "going rate," but significantly increase their margin.The problem is, just like GI IPA and GI wheat, their beer tends not to be very good (IMHO - YMMV). At least here in PDX, their beer doesn't seem to sell very well.

ChicagoJ, sharpski and Reidrover like this.
  9. Reidrover

Society

Same here in Salem which is usually more accepting of non-local beer if its i cheaper. never seen it on tap anywhere. And after an initial burst of activity rarely see it in the stores.

John_M likes this.
  10. Reidrover

Society

I don't think it's a price sensitive thing here in Oregon, I guess this region is more intensely local loyal?
    Though Great Divide still appears regularly in taphouses i frequent!
    I only had one Sweetheart beer. The IIPA. I didn't enjoy it too much. I thought it was on par or lower than w other cheaper options like Big Ballard. And on price levels with some really excellent IIPAs like Colossal Claude and All Ways Down (ironically 10 Barrel).
    So when i rarely see another of their line up i don't purchase and have never seen them at a taphouse so can't get a sample.

#10 Reidrover, Nov 21, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    ChicagoJ and sharpski like this.
  11. Powell014

Powell014 Oct 30, 2014 Colorado

10 Barrel always felt like Steve Buscemi 'what up fellow youths' of Rino. In a neighborhood that is cool for being artistic warehouse chic, they came in with a flashy brewpub in a neighborhood where no one really wants to sit at a restaurant to get a beer. I think if they put that same place across the street from the baseball stadium they would have done significantly better. But instead they wanted to be in the cool neighborhood to inflate their packaging brand. And like Domingo said, there are literally a dozen different places to get a great beer or meal on that block.

12. Reidrover

Society

I actually think 10 Barrel would be a great airport bar. I think would suit their style.

John_M likes this.