10 Beer Cities Poised to Blow Up

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BakaGaijin, Feb 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisSchlosser

ChrisSchlosser Disciple (335) Nov 15, 2013 Ohio
    Society

They are Cleveland suburbs, so yes they are technically considered Cleveland.

jcos and chrismattlin like this.
  2. miketd

miketd Zealot (528) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio
    Trader

Cuyahoga County is pretty much considered "Cleveland" to the locals. But yes, those places are not in Cleveland proper.

5thOhio likes this.
  3. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

Saw Thrillist, kept moving

lester619, mudbug, 5thOhio and 2 others like this.
  4. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Disciple (303) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

I bet the people in Cleveland do not agree, only those in the suburbs believe it. lol. Sam thing with Alpharetta, Marietta thing they are ATL.

5. unhyped

unhyped Initiate (81) Feb 13, 2015 Oregon

It's pretty bad when they say that Boise is the home of 10 barrel.lol

6. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,567) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Trader

Sure. Boise was home to the 2nd 10 Barrel location. But, overall, I think this list is pretty good, for who created it, and for content. Honestly, with comfortably over 4000 breweries in the country now, there aren't many places with any kind of population mass, that don't have at least some kind of solid beer presence. Another couple of years, and a list like this will probably be near impossible to make. Where's left? Brownsville TX, Orono ME, Ft. Smith AR, Canton NY?

7. miketd

miketd Zealot (528) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio
    Trader

When discussing NE Ohio businesses and the like, you would be wrong for the most part. The big divide here is the Cuyahoga River, splitting the East and West. Some joke we need a passport to traverse back and forth.

8. blindtiger24

blindtiger24 Aspirant (216) Mar 16, 2010 Colorado

Until you can get some of those awesome beers at full strength on-tap, I can't get as excited. At least they sell high octane bottles at bars.

9. WillemHC

WillemHC Initiate (134) Jun 21, 2013 Utah

Uh.. Yeah salt lake has improved but to say we're up and coming is a pretty massive stretch of the imagination.

10. jds16

jds16 Defender (602) Sep 21, 2007 Ohio
    Society

Surprised at the number of Clevelanders who seem to think we should be up-and-coming. We're already there, especially if you add in Akron to the NE Ohio mix. No need to try to justify our place.

11. Nachojon

Nachojon Disciple (375) Sep 17, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

Cananada? Ha!

12. WillemHC

WillemHC Initiate (134) Jun 21, 2013 Utah

Lol yeah if you are listing a laundry list of amazing breweries it means you've moved beyond up and coming..

beertunes likes this.
  13. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (105) Dec 6, 2014 California

The greater LA area is growing. Phantom Carriage, Highland Park, El Segundo, Monkish, Smog City...

14. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (215) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

Nice to see Omaha on the list and I'm a big fan of Infusion and the Benson area.

MusicBeer_1961 likes this.
  15. croush

croush Crusader (754) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I wasn't familiar with 10 Barrel before, and don't put much stock in these lists, but if you read the article, it doesn't say Boise is the home of 10 Barrel. It says Boise is known for having a huge outpost of 10 Barrel. It sounds like they got it right based on what I've briefly looked up about 10 Barrel, but maybe I'm missing something.

beertunes likes this.
  16. DNICE555

DNICE555 Crusader (795) Aug 13, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

I loved my Cleveland/Columbus/Cincinnati brewcation.

17. wspscott

wspscott Champion (886) May 25, 2006 Kentucky

Lexington and Louisville are an hour apart, hardly the same city. And as a resident of Lexington, I wish it was going to be the next big beer city, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

"Article" sucks, OP should be shot for posting it :slight_smile:

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  18. AugiePrimrose

AugiePrimrose Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2009 Illinois

I think the article has been edited since it's original posting. Boise housing a huge 10 Barrel outpost is not what I remember reading a couple of days ago. It definitely stated that Boise was the home of 10 Barrel Brewing.

unhyped likes this.
  19. 22Blue

22Blue Poo-Bah (1,985) Nov 10, 2013 Kansas
    Society Trader

Visited Wiseacre in Memphis a few weeks ago, was impressed. Saving my bottle of Astronaut Status for my next bottle share.

20. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,633) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

"Blow up" is a pretty strong term. It's more like towns with 1 or 2 high profile breweries that inspired some others to get onboard. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I think the same argument can be made for just most mid-level cities in the country.

21. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Poo-Bah (1,784) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

I was going to say exactly the same thing. Moreover, I wouldn't go around telling U of L or UK fans that these are the same city!

drtth and wspscott like this.
  22. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Aspirant (251) Jun 18, 2010 Virginia

Not a bad list considering the source. I was in Toronto a few years ago and felt it was on the verge. Some killer beer bars there too. Memphis has been on my radar too. Pairing Lexington and Louisville together is weak though.

As for the Cleveland angle, seriously guys, you were on lists like this over five years ago.....it would actually be sad if you were on the list now as there are already good, well established breweries there....it's a really good beer place already.

I think this list will evolve with local beer laws evolving.

ODYSEYY likes this.
  23. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Zealot (570) Sep 30, 2014 Illinois

Hey, why you gotta pick on poor Cincidaynapolis like that? Just because it straddles a state border?

chrismattlin likes this.
  24. Tsar_Riga

Tsar_Riga Poo-Bah (2,199) Sep 9, 2013 Indiana

Seems to me these are the towns that might start to have a beer community, not ones that already have one. I'd quibble about Bloomington, IN, not because it doesn't have a decent scene, but rather because it has had one for a while, and there does not seem to be any signs of a "blow up."

25. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (184) Oct 6, 2004 California

I'll be damned...thrillist actually went back and corrected a factual error. It initially did say that they were the home of 10 Barrel.

26. MtnSoup

MtnSoup Aspirant (289) May 20, 2013 Colorado

I think people need to take the list a bit less seriously - there are some areas that I agree with - Toronto is on the verge of greatness. Bellwoods, as mentioned earlier is making the best beers in Canada (IMO, of course), and the beer scene in the city is just getting better by the day. Are there others that could've been included? Certainly. I'd add Albuquerque to any list of cities on the verge of craft beer greatness. I also think Utah is making huge strides, and still makes some of the best low-ABV/session beers anywhere (no surprise).

BakaGaijin likes this.
  27. croush

croush Crusader (754) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Should we expect anything else from such a highly respected site with great journalism? :wink:

jasonmason and 5thOhio like this.
  28. degbert

degbert Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2009 Texas

Peoria, IL, world capital of sour imperial oatmeal stouts.

beertunes likes this.
  29. Jcorn

Jcorn Disciple (356) Jun 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I suppose you might say they have already blown up?

beertunes likes this.
  30. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (607) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

So Louisville/Lexington is considered 1 city?

chrismattlin likes this.
  31. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,577) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

Farm breweries and rustic shed breweries out in the woods/mountains.

chrismattlin likes this.
  32. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Savant (984) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

Nice to see Toronto on the list. They might want to change the "upwards of 35 breweries in the area" to "upwards of 35 new breweries being opened every month in the city..." It is getting to the point where you can't turn a corner without running into a brewery.

33. Rrt0343

Rrt0343 Initiate (42) Nov 3, 2015 Kentucky

They probably lump them together because between them there are only one or two mediocre breweries. The blow up should be to demolish a few and start from scratch.

34. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Crusader (749) May 10, 2014 Ohio

Each has 1 brewery a piece which have stuck out to me:
    Lexington has West 6th, who's IPA stands above the sea of that flooded style, as well as their new Imp Stout, Snakes Eyes, which gives Ten Fidy a run for it's money.
    Then in Louisville is Against the Grain. They make my most favorite barleywine, London Balling- so delicious! Plus they have a lot of unique, intriguing brews that always make me grab one off the shelf.
    Not sure this area is "blowing up", but it's respectable none the less.

35. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (212) Sep 7, 2006 Virginia

Country Boy can stand up to West Sixth and Blue Stallion and Etheral are both quality breweries in Lex while Monnik, Great Flood, and BBC St Matthews in Louisville are solid as well.

Agree with your take on London Balling though. That brew is KILLER.

chrismattlin likes this.
  36. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (579) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Living right across the river from Louisville, this article really hyped Against the Grain as something it's not. The name is bigger then the beer.

And no mention of Monnik

37. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (436) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Totally agree. Was in SL skiing 3 weeks ago. The 4% law just destroys the draft options. Bizarre alcohol laws

38. JamesStreet

JamesStreet Savant (969) May 9, 2013 Louisiana

I agree, KC has had quite a few pop up lately - and most of them, at least the ones I've tried, are excellent

39. GameOfBeers

GameOfBeers Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

I think Pittsburgh is on the rise

40. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

Not one of them even remotely near me, so, oh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.