10 Best Beer-Bars You've Been to...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mantooth, May 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmantia

nickmantia Initiate (103) Feb 19, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

These are my tops picks, in no particular order

Lord Hobo - Cambridge, MA
    Torst - Brooklyn, NY
    Armsby Abbey - Worcester, MA
    Novare Res - Portland, MA

Mantooth likes this.
  2. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Aspirant (280) Jan 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

(No order)

Delirium Cafe - Brussels, BE
    A La Mort Subite - Brussels, BE
    Moeder Lambic - Brussels, BE
    Proeflokaal Arendsnest, Amsterdam, NL
    Pivovarsky Dum - Prague, CZ
    Hop Leaf - Chicago, IL
    The Map Room - Chicago, IL
    Father's Office - Santa Monica, CA
    Ginger Man - NYC, NY
    Happy Gnome & Muddy Pig - St. Paul, MN
    El Bait Shop - Des Moines, IA

Mantooth likes this.
  3. gibson584

gibson584 Initiate (165) Dec 11, 2010 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Holy Grale - Louisville, KY
    Sergio's World Beers - Louisville, KY
    Nachbar - Louisville, KY
    Four Pegs - Louisville, KY
    New Albanian Brewing Co. (Rich O's Public House) - New Albany, IN
    Avenue Pub - New Orleans, LA
    Capital Ale House - Fredericksburg, VA
    Congregation Ale House - Long Beach, CA
    Porterhouse - Dublin, Ireland
    Drunk Monk - Mataro, Spain

Buschyfor3 and Mantooth like this.
  4. Tpain518

Tpain518 Aspirant (231) Oct 23, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

TORST (brooklyn n.y) a tad pricey
    BLIND TIGER(Manhattan, N.Y) super laid back
    MAHARS (Albany, N.Y.) R.I.P
    PROHIBITION PIG (Waterbury, V.T.)

THE RESERVOIR ( Waterbury,V.T.)
    BIER ABBEY (Schenectady, N.Y.)
    THE RUCK (Troy, N.Y.)
    THE LIONHEART(Albany,N.Y)
    BARCADE (Brooklyn, N.Y.)

Mantooth likes this.
  5. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,030) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

For me, atmosphere is key. You can have the most impressive list in the world but, if I don't feel welcome or comfortable, the place isn't worthy of recognition. For example, my number one is Mr. Beery's. While they only have 24 or so taps and their bottle list is only a page long, every beer they offer is quality, they have awesome events regularly, Mark, the owner, is one of the coolest guys you'll meet, the bartenders are helpful, friendly and knowledgeable and the clientele are mostly great people who appreciate great beer. That's what makes a kickass beer bar for me. My number two is Churchkey. Yes, they have a bunch of taps, an incredible bottle selection, great bartenders (at least in my experience) and a pretty cool room, but the vibe is not exactly homey so it doesn't satisfy on every level. This is also why Avenue Pub is so low on my list at number 6. On the plus side, they often offer hard-to-find beers from Europe, they rotate through kegs regularly so there's almost always something new when you go, they have a massive bottle list, they host Zwanze Day every year while offering numerous other Cantillon beers during the event and they usually have other cool events to attend otherwise. However, the customer service is severely hit or miss. One day you'll have a really cool bartender who'll give good suggestions, shoot the shit with you and make sure you're taken care of. The next day, you'll walk in and get a bartender with no patience, won't talk to you unless you're ordering something and will generally make you feel like you're an idiot. If it weren't for that, they would rank way higher in my book.

Mantooth and ONovoMexicano like this.
  6. TheGator321

TheGator321 Aspirant (239) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

Torst in Brooklyn
    The Armsby Abbey in Worchester

I love Barcade. Craft beer and arcade games is a win for me. not to mention beating hipsters in tight pants at street fighter is glorious.

Mantooth likes this.
  7. bpasquini

bpasquini Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2013 California

If you haven't been to Stone, go to Stone, it will blow your mind
    Might want to make a reservation though

Eduk8traz, Mantooth and Donco like this.
  8. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Initiate (182) Jan 24, 2006 Ohio

Mahar's in Albany NY. Sadly closed now.
    Brickskeller in DC. Also gone.

Mantooth likes this.
  9. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,812) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Agreed. Rattle n Hum and Gingerman have that douchey midtown factor that rubs me wrong.

By the way, I managed to avoid going into the Flatiron Beer Hall despite it being right across the street during my little NYC visit, so that was a success.

I did pay my first visit to Blind Tiger but was far too many beers in (I'd already visited d.b.a, wechsler's, Good Beer and Proletariat before getting there) to make much note of the place. The beer selection was cool, but definitely a dropoff from the incredible Proletariat and the place was crowded as all hell.

Mantooth and rozzom like this.
  10. mctizzz

mctizzz Devotee (488) Dec 23, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Top Hops - NY
    Falling Rock - CO
    Max's - MD
    The Ruck - NY
    City Beer Store - CA
    Arsby Abbey - MA
    Black Back - VT

Mantooth likes this.
  11. miketd

miketd Zealot (534) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Te beer list will, the food won't. I would suggest a afternoon at the bar and skip the madness of the food area if possible.

JoeyStats707, Donco and Mantooth like this.
  12. BraveBrewWorld

BraveBrewWorld Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2014 New York

1. Tørst - Brooklyn, NY
    2. One Mile House - Manhattan, NY
    4. Prohibition Pig - Waterbury, VT
    3. Monk's Cafe - Philadelphia, PA
    4. Rattle N Hum, Manhattan, NY
    5. Black Sheep Ale House - Mineola, NY
    6. Alewife - Queens, NY
    7. Forest Hills Station House - Queens, NY
    8. The Farmhouse Tap & Grill - Burlington, VT
    9. Spuyten Duyvil - Brooklyn, NY
    10. Brickwall Tavern, Asbury Park, NJ

Bonus: Délirium Café - Brussels, Belgium (for nostalgia's sake)

blacksheep78 and Mantooth like this.
  13. digita7693

digita7693 Disciple (397) Jan 19, 2010 Germany
    Beer Trader

If I was 20 again, backpacking through Europe, and just discovered 10% beers w pink elephants on the bottle, I would probably think Delirium was cool, aside from that I do not get the fascination w the place, especially w all the other great places in Brussels or just a short train ride away in Antwerp.

cheers.

bushycook, Mantooth and miketd like this.
  14. Rohkey

Rohkey Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2013 Michigan

Haven't been to that many (and a lot were in Europe, can't remember the names - was pretty wasted most of the trip), but the ones I think are noteworthy:

Oak Cafe - Wyandotte, MI. Basically only salvageable beer pub in the area, rotate 40+ taps with decent bottle list. Southeastern Michigan (Detroit area) is just now starting to catch onto the whole craft beer scene, so most of the patrons here are not typical craft beer drinkers but just normal bar-hoppers.

The Cove - Baton Rouge, LA - One of the best selections I've seen. I forget their tap count but it's probably around 100, rotates often, and they largely focus on pretty hard-to-get European brews (both tap and bottle). Prices a bit steep and the waitstaff is hit-or-miss.

Avenue Pub - New Orleans, LA - Not much to say here, just decent selection with upstairs Belgian tasting room. Good food, was only here once.

Porter Beer Bar - Atlanta, GA - Great selection, a lot of aged beer, good food (and variety)

Brick Store Pub - Decatur, GA - Had a bad experience here with the service but everything else was good. Food was very good, great selection, not a lot of seating if I recall, though.

Mantooth likes this.
  15. ghostly

ghostly Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2011 New York

Mine are listed according to my personal affection for the place. Beer selection plays a role, but isn't the most important to me.

1. Gramercy Tavern, NY, NY
    2. George Keeley, NY, NY
    3. Ye Olde Mitre, London, England
    4. Nocturnem Bier Haus, Bangor, ME
    5. The Plough & Stars, Cambridge, MA
    6. Novare Res, Portland, ME
    7. Worthy Burger, S Royalton, VT
    8. Amsterdam Ale House, NY, NY
    9. Craft Beer Co., London, England
    10. Devonshire Arms, Beeley, England

Special Mention for the Gulden Draak tap at Dive 75, the happy hours at Petite Abeille West Broadway, and the other good NYC bars I respect but don't love (Rattle'N'Hum, Gingerman, Mission Dolores, Church Publick).

Bars that I loved that had a poor selection years ago in college: The Burren, Somerville, MA, and the sadly defunct Spinning Wheel, Bronxville, NY.

If we include brewpubs, Russian River probably tops this list.

Mantooth likes this.
  16. Karibourgeois

Karibourgeois Poo-Bah (1,729) Jul 28, 2013 Texas
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Cooter Brown's in NOLa (this is the place where I discovered the world of beer), Craft Pride in Austin and the HayMerchant in Houston

Mantooth likes this.
  17. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Disciple (303) Jun 18, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Toronado - San Diego
    Meridian Pint - Washington DC
    Churchkey - Washington DC
    Hopbar - Toronto
    Beer Temple - Amsterdam
    Closed for Business - Charleston
    12 South Taproom Nashville
    Fishman's - Chicago
    Library Ale House - Santa Monica
    Blind Tiger - New York

Mantooth likes this.
  18. DrinkSlurm

DrinkSlurm Poo-Bah (1,817) Oct 3, 2007 New York

Wow this is a tough one!
    In no particular order:
    1-Avenue Pub, New Orleans, LA
    2-Holy Grale, Louisville, KY
    3-Blind Tiger, NYC
    4-Falling Rock, Denver, CO
    5-Beermongers, Portland, OR
    6-Baileys Taproom, Portland, OR
    7-Humpys, Anchorage, AK
    8-CRAFT, London, UK
    9-Euston Tap, London, UK
    10- Delerium Café, Brussels, Belgium
    11-Churchkey, Washington, DC
    12-Three Penny, Montpelier, VT
    noteworthy:
    Papagos, Scottsdale, AZ
    Gnarley Barley, Orlando, FL
    Closed for Business, Charleston, SC
    Cask Republic, New Haven, CT
    Coalhouse Pizza, Stamford, CT
    Lazyboy Saloon, White Plains, NY
    Als of Hamden, PA
    Torst, Brooklyn, NY
    Brueklen, Brooklyn, NY
    Rattle n Hum, NYC
    Proletariat, NYC
    Bridgeview Tavern, ST. Louis, MO
    Brickstore, Decatur, GA
    DeCiccos, Brewster or Armonk, NY
    Bier Abbey, Schenectady, NY
    Tap & Mallet, Rochester, NY

Its been a few years, but making a trek to Portland, ME sometime this summer so this list may change a bit :slight_smile:

My new (local) fav - Stanziatos, Danbury, CT
    I travel ALOT!...id like to do a fav beer bar in each state thread...hmmm...

Buschyfor3 likes this.
  19. Mantooth

Mantooth Meyvn (1,192) Dec 6, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Nice to see Charleston mentioned here - I'm hitting Closed for Business next month! I love seeing all these posts - making some lists of spots to hit next!

20. Mantooth

Beer Trader

Awesome list - good idea on a thread too.

21. Pixdad

Pixdad Initiate (108) Mar 14, 2013 Pennsylvania

The Wick-Hummelstown PA
    Eagle Hotel-Linglestown PA
    Monks Café-Phila
    Schooner or Later-Long Beach CA.
    Buckeyes Tavern-Centerville DE
    Gamble Mill-Bellefonte PA.
    McCloskeys Tavern-Ardmore PA.
    Brophys-Santa Barber CA.
    Dolphin Striker-Portsmouth NH
    Bluebird Inn-Cornwall PA.

Mantooth likes this.
  22. -RTBPDX-

-RTBPDX- Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2014 Oregon

I'm a little surprised nobody threw out "BELMONT STATION: Portland, Ore" (Maybe I missed it). Anyway, fantastic neighborhood beer joint in SE Portland. Great rotating taps, about 23, and a bottle selection that's 1300 strong and rising every day. Check them out if you're up in the Pacific NW!

maltmaster420 and Mantooth like this.
  23. 77black_ships

77black_ships Devotee (445) Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

Alphabetical order.

Alvinne Proefloft – Moen, Belgium
    Located middle of nowhere. Part of the brewery, a modern style bar overlooking the instalation. I once got here a 2 hour personalized tour with free beers, one beer on tap is straight out of the fermentor, they have their own beers plus crazy beers which you won’t find nowhere else. I once bought like 5 Hair of the Dog beers.

Braustelle – Cologne, Germany
    In a city where most places just serve Kolsh, you have this place that insist making an IPA / Kolsh hybrid, stouts, sours, bocks etc. Great service, cool atmosphere, delicious food and low prices. This place rocks. While some of the bottles might have had in the issue, I can confirm all beers on location being awesome.

Cantillon tasting area – Brussels, Belgium
    I prefer to come at a calm moments, remember one time sitting there drinking lambiek, reading my book next to the fireplace with their dog sleeping next to me. Only person at the bar, very chill.

Chez Moeder Lambic Fontainas – Brussels, Belgium
    Cool slick modern interior, quality of draft beers is always the best imaginable. Awesome taplist, always which includes a dozen guesttaps of rare, interesting and delicious European craft beers. Everything on tap is definitely worth drinking.

Délirium Hoppy Loft – Brussels, Belgium
    Come at a weekday and you will be all alone, if you want have a bar all to yourself and your friends or you just want to bother the ever friendly bartenders this is a great place. They sell Mikkeller, American beers, de Molen etc. none of which are a normal sight in Belgium. Always tick’s to be had on tap. Me mentioning this place has a lot to do with the service.

Het Schooltje (Struise) – Oostvleteren, Belgium
    Currently 30 Struise beers, lots of them on tap just there and you get to hang out in a classroom while drinking. They are planning to expand the list to 64 beers.

King William IV (Brodies) – London, England
    Old English pub that looks like Dickens used to drink there. Huge list of crazy beer on tap, Coffee-IPA, BA RIS, sours etc. Totally off the beaten pats, very calm and beers kept changing all of the time while I sat there, everything was delicious.

Kulminator – Antwerp, Belgium
    Local bar, elderly couple running it, cats walking around, looks like a living room and they always have stuff like 1980s Oerbier, 1970s Westvleren 12, 3+ year old Avec les Bon Voeux on tap etc.

La Capsule – Lille, France
    Totally rundown place with the perfect taplist and metallic playing. Rhubar IPA’s, barleywine, geuze etc. in france. Interesting place for sure. Bit confussing since they had no list of what beers they had but they said that they will fix that, all is good here.

Wenlock Arms – London, England
    Totally packed on a Saturday evening with locals, tiny place dating back from the 19th century, lots of cask goodies, all of which I had never even heard of before and a jazz band playing middle of the bar. Very atmospheric and cool.

digita7693 and Mantooth like this.
  24. Kinsman

Kinsman Champion (873) Aug 26, 2009 California

A combo of great beer list and atmosphere is necessary. Some place I'll list could easily get ranked higher or lower depending on when I visit.

Anyway, most of mine have been mentioned so far but I rank them in a somewhat particular order:
    1. Three Penny Taproom, Montpelier, VT
    2. Ebenezers Pub, Lovell, ME
    3. Blackback Pub, Waterbury, VT
    4. The Reservoir, Waterbury, VT
    5. Novare Res, Portland, ME
    6. Lions Pride, Brunwick, ME (Only went once and I know it's change a bit since I was there)
    7. The Publick House, Brookline, MA
    My Two Favorite Brewpubs:
    8. Portsmouth Brewery, Portsmouth, NH
    9. Cambridge Brewing Co. Cambridge, MA (This will happen to be the first place I go after I fly into Boston on Friday)
    10. A tie between a couple of great pubs I visited in London: The Wenlock Arms and The Greenwich Union

Been living in CA (Lake Tahoe) for about 6 months now but haven't really had the chance to explore much. Maybe after a few trips down to the bay area I'll have some new ones to add to this list. Would like to get down to San Diego at some point but it's way too hot down there this time of year.

Mantooth likes this.
  25. BigCheese

BigCheese Defender (689) Jul 4, 2009 Massachusetts

Im liking all the love that Sunset Grill and Tap is getting, right round the corner from me. Awesome nachos.

In no particular Order:

Alechmist Brewpub, Waterbury Vt. (Before it got flooded/destroyed).
    Russian River Brewpub. Santa Rosa, CA
    Sunset Grill & Tap, Allston, MA
    Deep Ellum, Allston, MA
    Bukowskis. I like the one in Cambridge better.
    Cantillon, Brewery, Brussels. Not really a bar, but you can buy beers and drink in the OG lambic brewery, pretty cool.
    Delirum Cafe, Brussels, Belgium
    Ive been to a few sweet ones in Brooklyn & San Fran, cant remember the name.

Mantooth likes this.
  26. Shawn_Sins

Shawn_Sins Initiate (41) Sep 3, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Rustico - Alexandria, VA
    Torst - Brooklyn, NY
    Proletariat - Manhattan, NY
    The Black Sheep Ale House - Long Island, NY
    Tremont Tap House - Cleveland, OH
    Blue Monk - Buffallo, NY
    3 UPick 6 Locations: Beer Store, Public House, and Tap House - Erie, Pa
    Jekyll and Hydes - Erie, PA
    Voodoo Brewery Tap Room - Meadville, PA
    Astoria Bier and Cheese - Astoria, Queens, NY

blacksheep78 and Mantooth like this.
  27. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Initiate (164) Mar 17, 2011 New Jersey

1. Cloverleaf Tavern - Caldwell, NJ
    2. Maloney's - Matawan, NJ
    3. Valhalla - NYC
    4. Rattle N Hum - NYC
    5. Beer Authority - NYC
    6. The Ginger Man, NYC
    7. The Blind Tiger

Mantooth likes this.
  28. terpinsd

terpinsd Aspirant (247) Oct 14, 2012 California

Oh man, now it gets tough. First, do your best to get to Alpine. It's only 30 minutes east and it's usually quiet on weekday afternoons. I intentionally left it off my list after arbitrarily deciding that I didn't want to include 'brewpubs,' although I blatantly ignored that parameter by including Pizza Port Ocean Beach. But whatever, PP is 5 blocks from my house and it holds a place close to my heart.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you'll be here in prime wet/fresh hop season. I've really enjoyed Pizza Port OB's and Solana Beach's fresh hop offerings, so they are probably both worth checking out around then. Pizza Port updates screenshots of what's on tap at each location throughout each day, so I'd start to tune in about a week before your trip and see if anything pops up that piques your interest.

But on to the rankings. Disclaimer: Totally subjective and should be relied on by no one:

Toronado - I'd say it has the best tap list in SD. Very beer sceney, but I mean that entirely as a compliment.
    Pizza Port OB - Great in house brews, great variety of styles and offerings from other breweries. It's a block from the beach, and Ocean Beach is a neighborhood that is worth a visit in itself
    Hamilton's Tavern - Excellent taplist + shuffle board. Warmer ambience than Toronado. ~6ish blocks from Stone's South Park Company store.
    O'Brien's - Up there amongst the best of the best tap lists in SD. Very relaxed. Their chicken wings are great. Tip: If you'd like to try a variety of beers, O'Brien's runs a taster special on Saturdays - $15 for ten 4oz pours. Cool stuff. Also a phenomenal place to watch soccer
    The Regal Beagle - I generally find their tap list less exciting than the others, but great food (local sausages and the like). Really friendly place.
    Blind Lady Ale House - Great selection and great food (pizza, salads, other). They serve true pints and deep clean their lines regularly. House brews tend to be a little hit or miss in my eyes, but it's definitely worth a visit.
    Tiger Tiger - Same deal (same ownership) as BLAH - pizza + sandwiches.
    Fathom Bistro - Cool location on a pier with a sneaky great tap list. Serves house made sausages. If the weather is warm enough for your liking, having a pint here on the water is highly recommended.

I think I'll stop there. Toro/BLAH/Tiger Tiger/Hamilton's are all located within a few miles (or blocks, depending) of each other and can be hit in succession. For inspiration, check out the route that the Drink About bus takes from spot to spot. https://www.facebook.com/pages/DRINKABOUT/230138975798

Mantooth likes this.
  29. smokeypeat

smokeypeat Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Max's -- Baltimore
    Churchkey -- DC
    Monk's -- Philly
    Alewife Baltimore
    Mahaffey's -- Balt
    Mekong -- Richmond
    Capone's -- Norristown, PA
    Al's -- Harrisburg, PA
    Barcade -- Brooklyn
    Memphis Taproom -- Philly

Mantooth likes this.
  30. Mantooth

Beer Trader

We've got four of the same top 10 - have you been by The Birch yet? - Norfolk VA - http://www.thebirchbar.com/

31. azorie

azorie Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

none in this country sadly. in my top 10

now if its limited to the USA, I can do it. lol

Mantooth likes this.
  32. ghostly

ghostly Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2011 New York

As a born and bred Mainer, I'm curious why so many here have been to Lovell (I never have).

Mantooth likes this.
  33. DrinkSlurm

Oh Man...How can I forget Mekong?! One of the best experiences ive had at a beer bar!

Mantooth likes this.
  34. Mantooth

Beer Trader

I'd like to see both lists - hit me...

35. Mantooth

Beer Trader

We were just there on a VA vacation - completely blown away by that place - never seen anything like it, honestly. Amazing draft list - lots of BFM! Killer food too.

DrinkSlurm likes this.
  36. AngryBotBrews

AngryBotBrews Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 California

Haven't seen anyone mention Chuck's Hop Shop. It's tight. Yea.

Mantooth likes this.
  37. DrinkSlurm

Apparently he is the largest single importer of BFM in the USA! Although im sure ive seen more in some Cellar threads on here :wink:

Mantooth likes this.
  38. lakeman

lakeman Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2005 Indiana

OK, limiting myself to one per metropolitan area.

Map Room - Chicago
    Toronado - SD
    HopCat - Grand Rapids
    Mug's Ale House - Brooklyn
    Kulminator - Antwerp
    Horse Brass - Portland, OR
    Cafe Gollem - Amsterdam
    Delirium Cafe - Brussels
    Publik House - Brookline, MA
    Max's Place - Baltimore

Mantooth likes this.
  39. azorie

azorie Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

I cannot seriously think of 10 I would rank. most of the USA places are bars, and I prefer pubs.
    Monk's cafe was nice and I would place them near the top of my east coast list. Frankly even that place gets too crowded for me to want to go back. Its like the Brick Store pub (which is Not a pub IMHO). It was nice but now its impossible to find a lull time.
    forget getting into the Belgian bar, its a joke.

Mantooth likes this.
  40. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,027) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

In no real order:

Ushitora -- Tokyo Japan
    Moeder Lambic -- Brussels Belgium
    Churchkey -- Washington, DC
    Beermongers -- Portland, OR
    Bailey's Taproom -- Portland, OR
    Platypus Pub -- Bend, OR
    Brouwers Cafe -- Seattle, WA