10 year old Shneider Weisse Avetinus

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by mitch3114, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitch3114

mitch3114 Devotee (418) Feb 20, 2012 New York

At one of my local shops, I noticed they got in a bunch of Aventinus that's wrapped in fancy wrapping and has a tag on it from the brewery. It says that every year they put like 250 cases in their cellars and release them every three years or so. The tag and the wrapper say, brewed in 2004! What do you guys think about this? Just something one of the distributors had sitting around for awhile?

I was thinking about getting some for my buddy for his birthday, January 2014. By then, this stuff will have ten years on it! (Ten years ago me and my buddies who are craft beer advocates now were in our senior year of high school drinking Smirnoff Ice and Twisted Tea!!!) Lat year, I was his best man and took him to Burlington, VT for his bachelor party. We were introduced to Aventinus at a Biergarden type place. It was a wild night but none of us have had the brew since... wanted to get some fresh too. Has anyone had any this old? How does it hold up?

2. mitch3114

sorry, just noticed my typo... Schneider* couldn't edit the title!

3. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,114) Mar 18, 2010 California

There is nothing special about this version right? Just that it was aged by the brewer and then wrapped up fancy?

4. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Initiate (174) May 27, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

I can't see this getting any better with 10 years on it, but I've heard people saying some good things about some oldish (a few years) Weizenbock. So if your friend likes the beer and you like the price why not? I wouldn't mind tasting a 10 years old Aventinus just to see how it goes. At least it is something you can't find at every store.

5. danieelol

danieelol Savant (954) Jun 15, 2010 Australia

I brought a 3 year old bottle to a tasting a few months ago and it seemed fairly oxidised...I have a bunch more so I'll report back when n = > 1

6. bramsdell

bramsdell Aspirant (278) May 27, 2011 North Carolina

Yeah, I had a 2006 maybe six months ago and it was good but showing oxidation. If it's outrageously priced like many aged releases, fuck it.

7. Sonofalime

Sonofalime Aspirant (294) Oct 11, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Buy more and send them to me.

*edit. BM me if you wanna send them to a loving home.

8. mitch3114

Haha, ok... yeah they arent exactly flying off the shelves. But, they aren't really overpriced so I think I will get one or two, if anything for a novelty for us to try. Thanks!

9. jakethesnake9z9z

jakethesnake9z9z Initiate (179) Mar 5, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

IMHO, the results of the aged Aventinus can vary greatly depending on both the vintage and particular bottle. In the last couple years, I've had both an '03 and an '04 that were fantastic. However, I also had an '04 that was so oxidized I ended up drain pouring half. Since the pricing (from what I remember) isn't outrageous, I recommend getting one bottle of it to try. Pour very carefully if you don't like large protein/yeast globs in your beer.

10. OldPenguinHunter

OldPenguinHunter Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2010 California

I
    was just in Chicago and Binny's had them in stock, I had the 2006. It was teriyaki with some umami notes, I enjoyed it a lot and would recommend it as a different drinking experience (kinda like the first time you have Samiclaus...).

11. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,002) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

I also recently drank a bottle of the 2006 Brewery-cellared vintage. I thought it was pretty damn good.

12. mitch3114

Hmmmm, interesting. Alright, now I have to wait till January to drink it with him :(

13. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (2,951) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Most likely it was in the eiskeller in Germany for most of the time since 04. About a year ago I had a chance to drink an 03 (so about 9 years old) which I know had been kept either in the eiskellar or the bar's cooler for most of its life in the bottle. I thought it was exceptional. (My review of the beer is a multi-year, multi-bottle collection of notes to go along with the basic review done in about 09.)

14. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (456) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

Fortunately, this one seems to be priced not much higher than a straight up fresh Aventinus. I also have a 2004 that I bought earlier this year. I can't wait to try it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.