100% Bottle re-fermented beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fmccormi, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fmccormi

fmccormi Meyvn (1,409) Oct 24, 2010 California

Brooklyn Local 1 is, in my opinion, a beautiful beer and really special in its own right. I watched the video they released about the bottling and fermentation of it, and unless I was mistaken I am under the impression that 100% of the fermentation (or at least, all of secondary) occurs in the bottle.

So, I'm wondering: what other beers out there are 100% bottle re-fermented?

2. Sneers

Sneers Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2009 Pennsylvania

A list of individual beers would be quite long, but most Belgian-style beer is, as are a handful of bottled English ales are (eg. Fullers 1845, Vintage Ale).

3. FosterJM

FosterJM Poo-Bah (2,716) Nov 16, 2009 California

This is from the Bruerys web page.
    Most of our beers are 100% bottle conditioned and all are unfiltered, and unpasteurized.

Cheers!

4. Chugs13

Chugs13 Defender (679) Dec 11, 2011 New Jersey
    Society

Can someone please clarify something for me.

What is/is there, a difference in a beer being bottle conditioned and naturally carbonated, and a beer being refermented in the bottle and having a "secondary fermentation"? Do they actually add more yeast or something?

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,851) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

From what I've read, Fuller's bottled conditioned beers are not "100% bottle re-fermented" (as Brooklyn defines it) but use the "re-seeding" yeast method at bottling.

6. Sneers

Sneers Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2009 Pennsylvania

Is "re-seeding" what Sierra Nevada does: filtering out the yeast, then repitching a small amount for conditioning?

7. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,851) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Here's Brooklyn Brewery's explanation:

100% re-fermentation or bottle conditioning means that the beer is bottled flat and gets all of its carbonation from the re-fermentation in the bottle. Partial re-fermentation, which is frequently referred to as bottle-conditioned, involves taking what is often flat beer, and adding carbonation to it first before adding a small amount of yeast and sugar to complete the process. As such, most bottle-conditioned beers are only partially bottle-refermented. 100% bottle-conditioning is now rare, but results in far greater complexity and aging ability.

8. fmccormi

fmccormi Meyvn (1,409) Oct 24, 2010 California

Yes! That's what I'm asking about. I know lots of beers are bottle-conditioned, but I'm curious about other 100% bottle re-fermented beers.

9. davidguydude

davidguydude Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2014 New Jersey

hey that sounds a lot like homebrewing

Maestro0708, SFACRKnight and MadWolf like this.
  10. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (543) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Good question. I like bottle conditioning/ed beer. Would love to know more examples of 100% bottle conditioning.

My impression is the DFH 75 is all bottle conditioning. Someone please let me know if that is not correct. It has that velvety mouthfeel.

#10 surfcaster, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  11. BumpyAZ

BumpyAZ Initiate (122) Jan 14, 2014 New Jersey

Clicked on the thread to post Brooklyn Black Ops but I'm guessing you already knew that one!

Chitex78 likes this.
  12. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (210) May 31, 2011 Colorado

I'm not sure why the beer would be completely flat, unless it was aged a long time and lost all of its carbonation. Even home-brew usually has a half-volume (or more) of carbonation present at bottling. It would take actual effort to remove all of the CO2 before bottling, just to make the claim that the final product got 100% of it's CO2 during bottle conditioning. It sounds like an unnecessary pain in the ass to me.

13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,350) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

My guess is they don't flatten the beer, and are trying to keep their explanation as simple as possible. I mean let's face it, the guyss reading that description are probably drunk. :grimacing:

FarmerTed likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.