100% tax on alcohol in Qatar

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by rugene, Jan 1, 2019.

1. rugene

rugene Initiate (157) Mar 2, 2015 Quebec (Canada)

dukeandduke likes this.
  2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,037) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

Only six bucks a beer? That's a bargain compared to what they charge at concerts and ball parks here in the U.S.

3. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Disciple (397) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts

I travel to Qatar for business occasionally and there has been lots of speculation lately about how they were gonna deal w this looming issue. This seems like a reasonable solution. It would be interesting to see how a stricter Muslim country like Saudi would deal w/this same issue...not sure religious leaders there would go for the simple tax solution to wash away the sins.

Agree w @dcotom ....proces on consumer goods are pretty low in Qatar so a 100% taxed Heineken is still gonna be way cheaper than the $19 I paid at Dodger Stadium in Oct got a pint of Goose Island Honker Ale.....

#3 chipawayboy, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  4. rugene

I don't drink at any sporting event, I don't like to be ripped off, I am not going too many concerts anymore and rarely I buy some drinks in a concert venue. I prefer to drink at home and spend 5 bucks on a really good craft beer.

5. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,504) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

$19!?! Holy cow! I swore off beer at sporting events when it hit $10 ...

6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,656) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Eh, I think the last Phillies game I went to a Hop Devil cost me $12. I’d rather pay half, but I go to a game once in a blue moon. I pay $20 to park too, it is what it is at sporting events.

FBarber, DrumKid003 and Bouleboubier like this.
  7. chipawayboy

Yes...but an afternoon at Highland Park brewing company down the street on the edge of China Town made up for all of that shitty ballpark beer...

8. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Aspirant (299) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

At Nat's park they have modified the Park Mobile meters, so on game day, even Sunday, it is like $45 to park on the street for 4hrs, under the guise of "please use public transportation." It was super expensive before, but when the All Star game came they wouldn't miss an opportunity to raise the rates even higher, permanently. Can't miss that opportunity!

Wonderful (1) if you don't live near a Metro stop, which is 99% of people , that's not an option, and (2) if you are a group of 4, they've also jacked up the Metro rates so high anyways, there and back you'll end up dropping $40 anyways, and you'll spend an extra hour and a half waiting for trains that are on a reduced schedule to save money.

They wonder why attendance is down at sporting events in the US, cause it's a fucking ripoff and I don't want to spend $300 to roast in the summer sun and watch a bunch of millionaires hit a ball around while having Geico commercials blasted into my ear at every juncture, and have to look at advertisements plastered on every inch of everything. Oh yeah and $18 out of code 312 16oz cans. I used to go to tons of games with my dad, but at this point I'd rather listen to it on the radio (yeah, radio!).

Happy New Year!

9. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Zealot (525) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

The better question is why would anyone who believes in the values of the American Constitution go to the World Cup and support the Qatari economy? Given they have enslaved migrant workers, harshly punish LBGTs, and if a woman gets raped she is the one jailed for promiscuity? Beer prices are the least of the problems there.

We should totally put a larger tax on beer in the US. It's too low. Given people have no problem spending $10 for a glass of beer, $40 for a pack of BA stouts, $20+ for a 4 pack of NEIPA, etc. it shows people are still going pay for what they want. Is someone really going to not by a limited BA stout because it is a dollar more? Especially when people are paying hundreds more to obtain limited whales?

deanzaZZR, Malt_Man, zeile33 and 3 others like this.
  10. stairway2heavn

stairway2heavn Initiate (18) Aug 17, 2017 New Jersey

Well, moving forward, the Olympics and World Cup increasingly will be in countries ruled by despotic regimes, since common citizens have begun to see the boondoggle that these events really are (similarly, see Oakland, CA taking a stand against the Raiders). The supposed influx of money from stadiums, facilities, and more broadly these events never matches the cost (keep in mind that Los Angeles bragged about BREAKING EVEN).

As to whether there should be an increased beer/sin tax I tend to disagree. Would it only be on beer of a certain price per ounce? (I'm sure the light beer makers would be happy, I'll grant that.)

Assuming it's all beer (and wine/liquor) you end up with a pretty regressive tax overall. If it's tax revenue that's the concern much more reasonable taxation methods are possible, if demonized by hucksters (see the "death tax"-or estate tax-that at it's height prior to GW Bush's administration affected roughly 2 percent of the population, and yet was largely dismantled over the years thanks to the votes of those very distinctly in the other 98 percent who will certainly die with far less than a million dollars in assets).

Back to the initial point though.... Who knows, maybe eventually these events will rotate between 3-4 areas so that they're actually worth it and not only in countries with extensive human rights abuses.

rudiecantfail likes this.
  11. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (21) May 15, 2018 Virginia

It’s a bargain compared to what the restaurants I go to are charging, $7.50-8.50 for less than a pint of a run of the mill IPA. Add on tax and the tip, it’s $10 per beer.

dcotom likes this.
  12. Norica

Norica Aspirant (214) Feb 2, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

People are nuts if they think the in stadium price for a beer is going to be $6.00 at the World Cup.

13. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Zealot (510) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

Now that's a rant, folks. If you can't rant like that, then just STFU.

Vitacca, meefmoff, PatrickCT and 3 others like this.
  14. Prince_Casual

Trader

I'm coming out swinging in 2019 baby!

15. Prince_Casual

Trader

I agree, people are totally misreading this. Getting a case at the store is going set you back $144 USD. If it's anything like the rest of the world, you can get a 12pk of a beer at the store, for the same price as a single beer at the venue...

I'd say you're looking at approximately $60 for an adjunct lager beer. #RespectBeerFail

dukeandduke likes this.
  16. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,054) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Hell no to Qatar, increased beer taxes, and public funding of professional sports stadiums.

Hell yes to cold beer on a warm summer day with a baseball radio broadcast in the background.

17. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,656) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I don’t like it,but that’s how some team is going to shell out 400 mil for Harper. The fans pay his salary in one form or another.

ilikebeer03 likes this.
  18. chipawayboy

The US has 15k soldiers at a massive air base in Qatar that serves as the headquarters for CENTCOM and provides for the defense of Qatar. You could buy every beer ever sold in Qatar for the cost of a few hours of operation of that base. I’d suggest everyone that has a problem w Q’s human rights record consult their senators and congressman before boycotting a visit to the Olympics....just sayin.

19. chipawayboy

Agree - but can we make it something other than honker ale? Your avatar reminded me of my less than optimal beer experience at Chavez Ravine....

20. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,054) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Avatar ode to my first craft beer, BCS, the previous decade.

GI outsourced production of Honkers Ale, which was a very good beer when produced in Chicago, and they weren't able to replicate the same taste and quality. Goose Island has ceased production of one of their flagship beers, rather have that or revert to the original Chicago brewing and quality vs. what Honkers became post Chicago production.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/goose-island-honkers-ale.587866/

I still go to their two local taprooms, and they have some good offerings beyond BCS, but I don't turn to their national beers very often.

Went to several CA breweries during a work trip that I piggy backed on to a vacation in August. Several excellent breweries (Bottle Logic, Modern Times, AleSmith, The Bruery, Monkish) would be better options for Chavez Ravine beers, Modern Times or AleSmith likely the two who could pull it off.

Chicago White Sox fans were spoiled this season (and hopefully beyond) with the Revolution Brewing Pub in Comiskey Park. Beers were more expensive than at the brewery or a bar/liquor store, but it was nice to have good options and I was glad to try a few new brews during the season. Beer and prospects were the two things going for the White Sox in 2018, but hopefully better days will be here soon.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct-food-revolution-brewing-white-sox-20180322-story.html

pudgym29 and chipawayboy like this.
  21. frozyn

frozyn Zealot (577) May 16, 2015 New York
    Premium Trader

The article gave me very glorious flashbacks of the $6 Bodhizafa cans at Safeco Field in September. What a ballpark to drink beer.

Superheatnsubcool and jrnyc like this.
  22. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Zealot (525) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Right, because it's so much easier to make the government due something on the grounds of national security than for an individual to choose not to go somewhere on vacation...

Two more reasons to boycott Qatar WC 2022- fraudulently bribed officials for rights to win World Cup bid and environmentally silly air conditioned open air stadiums...

mikeinportc and dukeandduke like this.
  23. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (118) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I definitely spend way more on beer than I should, but any time I read anything like this about the exorbitant costs of being a fan of anything to do with Professional SportsBall my eyes just bug right out of my goddamn head. People are addicted to their sports and the ones emptying the tills at the end of the night know this. I live in Milwaukee, WI and we just had the 'buy us a new stadium or else' scam pulled on us...again...

dcotom, pudgym29 and dukeandduke like this.
  24. Jmorey

Jmorey Aspirant (253) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I rarely go to sporting events but I don't drink while I am there. I don't NEED to have a beer. Same as when I go to dinner. Last tigers game I did drink a tweed right before we left and had a shot. So I had a nice little buzz for a bit. The 2 hour rain delay didn't help that.

dcotom and dukeandduke like this.
  25. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (241) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I wouldn't give a dime to a country who subjects it's citizens the Sharia law.

26. chipawayboy

Right - My point was many many millions of US tax $s are pouring into the same place that some are concerned about their $3 Heineken becoming a $6 Heineken and all that windfall going to Qatari coffers. A little ironic - no?

dukeandduke likes this.
  27. dcotom

Premium Trader

If the prices quoted in the article were in Singapore dollars - which appears likely - then at current exchange rates it works out to only about 4.50 USD per beer. Now that's a real bargain! :stuck_out_tongue:

28. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (563) Dec 12, 2014 California

Sorry for my ignorant question. Is there a bar/pub culture in Qatar? Are they legal?

29. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,031) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

You can drink at hotel bars but prices are through the roof. There is one liquor store in the whole country and you have to get a license to buy there. There are a few clubs that serve but they come with weird stipulations.

http://kentonmurray.com/blogs/alcohol_in_qatar.html

I've seen to many episodes of Locked Up Abroad to feel comfortable drinking under Sharia Law myself...

30. rugene

To me, 4.50$ for a Heineken is expensive if it's for home consumption

31. dcotom

Premium Trader

I wouldn't give you $4.50 for a truckload of that skunky crap, but that's neither here nor there.

32. chipawayboy

Most western people there on business hit up the executive lounges of the hotels for happy hour 4-7pm. MFree booze and food at most decent hotels. For beer the scene is frightening. A few European and American trash lagers an occasional Guinness or Hoegarden.

eldoctorador likes this.
  33. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (324) Apr 29, 2012 California

Me too. I just drink in the parking lot if tailgating or just abstain inside the stadium.

FBarber likes this.
  34. rgordon

rgordon Champion (872) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

We saw Paul McCartney and later Paul Simon at the Greensboro Coliseum and paid about $7 for 16 oz of Foothills Hoppyum. For the overall experience that seems to be a deal.

nc41 likes this.
  35. readyski

readyski Aspirant (231) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

I have no problem watching some matches from the comfort of my home drinking my own hand selected beers. Cost is a very subjective and contentious term.

HouseofWortship likes this.
  36. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,262) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Make a yeast bomb, sell as a laxative, problem solved!