11.2 oz. bottles

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BrewMaven, Jun 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. errantnight

errantnight Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Trader

You do realize these European brands are bottling in metric weights. So 330ml.

FBarber likes this.
  2. AllOfTheCats

AllOfTheCats Mar 27, 2018 Wisconsin
    Trader

Correct, your math isn't poor, BUT, from my other example, 4oz is half of 8oz. My point is that it already stinks (for me) sharing a 12oz. 11.2oz is smaller. 8oz is even worse for sharing - 4oz/ea.

I'm not downing my beer quickly, but I drink quite a bit of liquid throughout the day: a few cups of coffee in the morning and afternoon, about 8 glasses of water throughout the day, tea or coffee at night, and possibly a beer. 4oz, for me, is just way too small of anything for me, especially something very enjoyable.

#42 AllOfTheCats, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    KarlHungus likes this.
  3. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

More Rochefort for me!!!

4. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota
    Society

My comment was in jest, and I hope it came across that way.

AllOfTheCats likes this.
  5. donspublic

donspublic Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

We all know that last .8 is the portion that gives you a hangover, it has been thoughtfully removed. The latest BA 4 pack of Hellfighter that Karbach just released are in 11.2 bottles. I didn't mind because I got 3 BA variants, 1 base for $13. No issues with that

cavedave likes this.
  6. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

Where? I’ve never seen that.

7. Doma

Doma May 19, 2019 California
    Deactivated

How about calling 16oz shaker glass a pint? And calling 20oz beer glass an Imperial pint - while it's just a real beer pint?

EmperorBatman likes this.
  8. rgordon

rgordon Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

True, but how many stone does it weigh? In my thinking metric makes way more sense. I've even learned to read and grasp my metric thermometer and barometer. You can teach a dog better tricks.

cavedave likes this.
  9. raynmoon

raynmoon Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Right? Nothing Firestone makes comes in 11.2 oz. It's all 12 ounce bottle or can.

Unless I've missed something VERY recent.

10. Beer21

Beer21 Oct 17, 2010 Florida

It all depends on the % ABV. If its a 10%+ then 11.2 is fine. If less then I probably want a 12 oz or more...roughly.

BeardedWalrus likes this.
  11. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Mar 16, 2018 Tennessee

This is why we need to start moving on to having more half-liter containers, packaged into six packs.

12. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Oh, well, see there's the problem The Canadian Lucky Lager might have once come in 11.2'ers...
    [​IMG]

13. Glider

Glider Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts
    Trader

Full Sail Session beers come in the stubby 11 oz bottles which I always thought was a clever way to give you less beer. I see that they now make them in 12 oz cans as well, so I guess that’s ok.

Reidrover likes this.
  14. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

If it’s an internationally produced beer, 330ml (11.2 oz) and 500 ml (16.9 oz) are standard sizes. If it’s produced in the US, 12 oz (355 ml) and 16 oz (473 ml) are standard sizes and I cannot help but feel like the US brewer is implying it is part of some “go global” initiative when, in fact, it is actually cutting corners to enhance profit. Cereal manufacturers and other food vendors have been doing this for years (to enhance profit).

chrismattlin and PapaGoose03 like this.
  15. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Most bars that use shakers are actually 14 oz capacity. No clue on the imperial pints but marketing is what it is I’d guess that there’s a good shot they’re 18 oz or so. It’s a old bar ware trick that’s been around forever, they just make the glass thicker, especially on the bottom.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  16. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, Full Sail folks have claimed that using that Stubby bottle design was a direct homage to Olympia Beer (label above) - once among the largest selling beers in the PNW (~25% market share in both OR and WA in the 1970s), which used the 11 oz. Stubby at various times in the mid-1930 > early 2000s. That missing ounce was just a happy coincidence, I guess :grin:.

Contrary to some claims, Olympia beer did not always come in a 11 oz. Stubby, as shown below from the 1970s -

"12"
    I'll agree with but "Tall" :thinking_face:? Taller than a Stubby, but not a true long/tall neck bottle of the era. The industry at the time called those "Select" bottles.

After being bought by Pabst in the early 80s, they used what was called a "Heritage" bottle (still used by Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, etc).
    [​IMG]

Reidrover, LuskusDelph and Bitterbill like this.
  17. joerooster

joerooster May 15, 2018 Virginia

I'm pretty certain they stopped using those bottles a couple years ago.

nc41 likes this.
  18. slangtruth

slangtruth Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

When I'm chugging Scaldis Noels, that .8 oz gets me that win by a nose.

19. Doma

Doma May 19, 2019 California
    Deactivated

Yup. As far as public, bar, pub, brewpub drinking is concerned, we went down from 20oz to practically 14oz, over 30% evaporated from our glasses :astonished:

20. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

FrauGruber Brewing is the only brewery in Germany that uses the 440ml cans common in the UK and other parts of Europe despite the fact that the 500ml can is an absolutely standardized format in Germany that literally every single other producer of beverages uses.

They also charge 5-6€ for a can, it's an absolute fucking rip-off. Too bad they also make by far the best and most freshly available IPAs in Germany, which is why they are getting away with this. Even I can't bring myself to boycott them because their IPAs are just too damn good and are pretty much the only ones that I can regularly find at less than a month old.

21. Hoptometrist

Hoptometrist Mar 19, 2011 Ohio

ManBearPat likes this.
  22. LADEDA

LADEDA Jul 29, 2014 Florida

Speaking of bars, what is the capacity of a pitcher? No, not David Wells, the glass ones. :slight_smile:

23. MNAle

MNAle Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I love the PR rationale of this.

Cynic that I am, I suspect the local bottles were merely less expensive. However, adding 0.8 oz is a good thing (assuming they don't increase prices... darn, there's that cynicism again...) :wink:

Hoptometrist likes this.
  24. MNAle

Society

Darn... I was all ready to type "about 100 pitches or 6 innings, whichever comes first..." Heck, I typed it anyway! :grin:)

LADEDA likes this.
  25. BSRicky

BSRicky Jul 4, 2016 Canada (AB)

Just to provide some clarity for those uninitiated in arguing with folks about the technicalities of beer sizing (in Canada).

Canadian beers (bottles) aren't 11.2 US oz (330ml) they are 11.5 US oz (341ml), because they are 12 IMP oz (341), thanks to the different oz.

There is one clear reason to use 330 ml bottles, instead of 355 ml (12 US oz) bottles when packaging, and that is if you are doing something bottle conditioned, or at a carbonation target higher than 2.7 vol co2. You can get 330 ml euro glass in a way higher weight spec than most available 12 oz (355ml) bottles in North America, so it is rated to hold substantially higher carbonation, more than the 12 oz (355ml) is rated for, higher than what a can will take, and doesn't force you into a 750 ml package size.

The local glass will definitely be cheaper, glass is heavy, shipping from the Old Continent is not cheap. But also finding ways to dink the customer out of a little extra margin are as old as time...

VoxRationis, chrismattlin and MNAle like this.
  26. jesskidden

Society Trader

Not sure who "we/our" in your statement, but in the US in the Repeal era well into the first decade of the Craft era, typical servings of draught beer were in the 6-12 oz. range. For much of that period it was common for bars to change glass size(s) when brewers increased the price of beer, in order to save the 5¢ - 10¢ - 15¢ - 20¢ - Quarter glass of beer...

The "shaker (not a full US) pint" did not become commonly used in the US until the 1980s in many regions of the country and many bars --- and was never meant to be a beer glass in the first place. As for the Imperial Pint glass being common in the US in the past - I've never seen any reference to it.

Here's AB's chart of common beer glasses used in the US, circa mid-1980s.
    [​IMG]
    Well, AB says "60" and "40" above , but it sure seems to me that they can vary greatly. I've seen brewpubs used ½ gallon growlers as pitchers... I guess that's what most people commonly think of as the quantity in a pitcher of beer. Now, whether they get it or not...

27. tzieser

tzieser Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Every time I see this glassware chart I get a good chuckle.....still looking for one of those Heidelberg Goblets!

28. MNAle

Society

That would explain why Boom Island used it for their Hoodoo dubbel. However, it didn't work... from my review:

"Mouth feel is moderately thin, with no effervescence at all, which results in a flat feel. This is a major downgrade for this beer. I notice some of the older reviews for this beer mention the abundant carbonation, and that the beer used to be packaged in the traditional cork and cage style. I wonder if the issue lies with a problem with their bottling, and trying to have a bottle-conditioned beer packaged in a bottling line inadequate to the task."

Bitterbill likes this.
  29. MNAle

Society

I think I'll head out to my local farm supply store and get me one of those buckets! I wonder if I can convince a brewpub / taproom to fill the original "growler"? :wink:

30. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

11.2 ounce, 12 ounce bottles, is there a regulated minimal fill level cuz I see a lot of variation.

chrismattlin and Shanex like this.
  31. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Apr 13, 2013 Texas

To me, the proper serving size for a 5-6% abv is a US pint (473 mL), but an even more ideal size is the Imperial pint (568 mL). This is, of course, excepting higher abv beers, which should be proportionally reduced in size. Moving to the SI would probably establish the half liter as the standard size, falling in between the two pints. I believe most countries who use the metric system also use the 500 mL standard. I see the 11.2 oz serving as inadequate. It’s pretty far from the legendary “pint of Guinness”.

KentT and Shanex like this.
  32. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

JK, I just gotta ask. Did you ever see a beer served in a 55 oz. (or other size) bucket in the 1980's?

Cheers!

33. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Apr 13, 2013 Texas

1.5 oz? 3oz? Are those individual containers? I’ve never heard of that.

34. jesskidden

Society Trader

Did you need them monogrammed? $4.95 +50¢ P&H

Otherwise, the plain ones are even cheaper:
    [​IMG]

35. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I can think of one near here that definitely would do it. Rushing Duck brewery is named after what the owner/brewmaster's grandfather's work crew called the daily lunch beer run, back in the day. They called getting a bucket of beer "rushing the duck".

MNAle likes this.
  36. jesskidden

Society Trader

I saw plastic (like you'd get potato salad in at the deli), soft plastic cubes (like those used for getting water at camp grounds) as well as round waxed cardboard and "milk carton" type containers.
    [​IMG]
    But, yeah, who knows what AB was thinking of when they added the bucket. (Nostalgia for Ol' Gramps I guess?).

When the bottle deposit was enacted in NYS in the mid-80s, AB even put out a booklet for their primarily on-premise retailers who had a small take-out business, but who didn't want to be bothered with empties and paying back deposits, one suggestion being draft beer to go. (Gotta dig that out and see what sort of container they suggested - probably something like the Pearl above).

37. eppCOS

eppCOS Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

"Let a hundred flowers blossom..." -Mao
    :rolling_eyes:

38. billandsuz

billandsuz Sep 1, 2004 New York

The use of the shaker pint glass benefits the tavern at the expense of the drinker. But to be fair very few, probably 0% of the bartenders and tavern owners we work with as draft installers, has any idea what the volume of beer actually served really is.

So, we have at times provided the Piaget Gauge.
    Voila.
    [​IMG]

Now the observant reader will see that the mere presence of a finger width of foam, or worse a not filled glass, is actually a 14 ounce pour! Because of the conical shape you see.

Extend that 1 ounce held back across 1,000 pints served and you can see there is money in draft beer.

The served amount isn't even a fake pint.

Of course most of us expect and even want a decent foam collar. But I for one will usually tell the server to fill the glass if it served without any head. I'm not buying a 12 ounce pint. And I'm not happy if the tender can't manage a decent foam head. Three strikes if the draft system is screwed up because, well, I know how to do it right.
    Just not doing it for them.

Cheers.

39. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

I'm fine if its sufficiently high gravity, such as a big barleywine or quad. That being said it's more of a grudging acceptance, and I'd rather not have American breweries adopt it to save a few bucks.

40. officerbill

officerbill Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Studies have shown that, while Celsius is better for science, Fahrenheit better reflects how a temperature feels to a person:
    0°F = darned cold
    0°C = chilly
    100°F = darned hot
    100°C = dead

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.