11th Annual L.A. Beer Week & Kickoff Festival

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by johnInLA, Mar 28, 2019.

1. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (807) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society

For those interested:
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/11th-la-beer-week-kickoff-festival-2019-tickets-59095692808

Tickets go on Sale April 15th.

Description

The 11th Annual L.A. Beer Week is here! Join us for our big Kickoff Festival on Saturday, June 15th at the Los Angeles Center Studios in the heart of Downtown L.A.! We are bringing the heat this summer with an awesome festival featuring 90 independent craft breweries, live music, great local food, games, and more!

VIP Tickets include a premium keepsake glass, early entry at 12pm, and a VIP lounge area.

EARLY BIRD PRICES April 15- May 15th
    General Admission: $45
    VIP Admission: $65
    Designated Driver: $25

Regular pricing kicks in on May 16th:
    General Admission: $50
    VIP Admission: $70

SoCalBeerIdiot, kdub15 and Bennettrox like this.
  2. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (619) Mar 10, 2013 California

Don't get fooled by that other big, annual beer fest put on at the same location by different folks. This is the one put on by the LA craft beer guild. Nothing but actual craft beer will be served here. #supportlocal and all that.

However, if you want to drink of bunch of "crafty" (but not craft) shelf beers, that other one is for you. Google it. I'm not promoting it for them.

Ponzu4u and skelliott like this.
  3. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (519) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Trader

I’m an OC peep so not very familiar with DTLA ... is this location have easy access by train then Metro? Thanks!

4. SoCalBeerIdiot

Yes, it's *just* on the other side of the 110 from downtown. Cross-streets are Bixel and 6th. Not sure the nearest station, but it can't be that far.

AlexM likes this.
  5. johnInLA

Society

The LABW festival has been at this location for the last several years. I've taken the train to the 7th street station each time. Its a short walk from the station to the festival. If you're coming via Union Station, you can take the red/purple line to the 7th street station.

One of the nice things about this festival is it is very public transit friendly,

Redondo_Terp and AlexM like this.
  6. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (775) Jul 1, 2009 California

Hop on the MetroLink at your nearest OC station to Union Station DTLA. Don’t bother with the so called subway metros. For a few bucks more take Uber to LACS. And quicker. On weekends it’s only $10 for all day on MetroLink.

johnInLA and AlexM like this.
  7. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (519) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Trader

Exactly about the weekend rate! Did a DTLA crawl taking the train up from Irvine on a Saturday ... super convenient and cheap

8. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (775) Jul 1, 2009 California

Agree. Gone both directions on MetroLink. From Anaheim to DTLA one trip and few trips south to Oceanside. Sometimes it can get busy with families out on day trips to DTLA. But still convienant.

AlexM likes this.
  9. johnInLA

Society

Tickets went on sale today.

No rush, I don't think this event ever sells out.

But if you know you are going, you may want to buy your tickets before 5/15/19, so you can take advantage of the early bird discount.

10. wolf13

wolf13 Initiate (135) Dec 11, 2014 California
    Trader

Reading through the rules on their website and came across this gem of an opportunity:

"6. You may bring EMPTY water bottles or SEALED water bottles. No outside food & other beverages. Stuff you can wear on your neck is OK (pretzels, etc.)."

I mean I'm pretty sure I can figure a way to "wear" a sandwich, tacos, burrito, ice cream sundae, or other "etc." around my neck... come to think of it, technically wrapping a water bottle cap in tape, or drizzling wax would technically "seal" a bottle as well...

11. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (535) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

I plan to wear guacamole on myself, and you guys are welcome dip in

12. ComradePalmer

ComradePalmer Initiate (160) Jul 27, 2015 California

Do it.

13. erichxedge

erichxedge Disciple (385) Nov 29, 2009 California
    Society

Always done the regular entry, but does the VIP have their own bathrooms in the VIP lounge area? That alone may be worth the 20 dollar upgrade haha

14. johnInLA

Society

There are bathrooms in the lounge area. Two years ago it was pretty hot, so the air conditioning was a plus too.

15. Bennettrox

Bennettrox Aspirant (259) Sep 14, 2010 California
    Trader

They did last year and the VIP hour was well worth the early entry.

johnInLA likes this.
  16. goons

goons Initiate (34) Mar 5, 2019 California

planning on going to this one. Never been to any California beer events besides Sheldon Bros. Hoping this is just as fun.

17. Bennettrox

Bennettrox Aspirant (259) Sep 14, 2010 California
    Trader

Last year was my first time attending and it was pretty well run and a good time. Some areas got crowded (Monkish and a timed Homage release come to mind) but I'd say 90% of the breweries had no line and most brought some great beers. Smog City was my favorite booth, they had around 8-10 beers across all styles and no line.

Bring sunscreen, there was zero shade last year and I got fried.

johnInLA likes this.
  18. SoCalBeerIdiot

The extra hour is worth the price of admission in and of itself. You can get most if not all your must-haves out of the way before there is even a sniff of a line anywhere.

But I can confirm the VIP lounge was a NICE bonus last year. It's cooler, less crowded, has better bathrooms, and lots of places to sit. A nice little oasis. There was a patio upstairs, too, where you could relax, sip casually, and look down upon the poors. :sunglasses:

johnInLA likes this.
  19. johnInLA

Society

To be honest, you set a high bar with the Sheldon Bros fest.

LABW is not in that class.

But it is a fun day and a nice way to check the pulse of the LA Beer scene.

20. goons

goons Initiate (34) Mar 5, 2019 California

That was awsome. People had no idea what Juilius was nor did people know who side project was. but it was a great indoor event all around. It was rad that cantillon was out here as well. Not expecting it to be as amazing, but just looking to have a good time all around.

Serna714 likes this.