12 Days of Christmas - 2020

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Dave_Treat, Nov 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bum4ever

Bum4ever Jan 18, 2017 California
    Trader

I finished yesterday's beers just before midnight while wrapping Santa gifts for the kids:

Day 4a (it says 3 on all the beers, but @hardysf was just drinking when he wrapped them):
    [​IMG]
    I wasn't sure on the brewery for this, but I was sure it was a raspberry stout. Had a hint of something on the end, that I couldn't place.
    [​IMG]
    As it warmed I got that PB on the end and this was a great jammy raspberry stout. I never found the coconut, which was fine by me.

Day 4b:
    [​IMG]
    Other than guessing wax wings and chocolate, I got nothing right about this beer. I was getting blueberry for some reason and even once I knew it wasn't there, I still got a hint of it. At room temp I was able to pick out the Mexican hot coco flavors they were going for.

Day 4C:
    [​IMG]

I pretty much nailed this one outside of assuming it would be a wax wings. Huge PB on the nose, and the taste was mellow PB with a ton of vanilla. Marshmallow came out as it warm and it was super easy to drink this at 16%. It was at this point that my liver gave up for the day.

Thanks for the fun day of drinking Stephen!

mervmurry, Dad_of_Rad, UcDru and 24 others like this.
  2. Lazhal

Lazhal Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

I accidentally opened the package containing the box first, so I was clued in before opening the bottle. @Dave_Treat hits me up with not one but TWO vintage Thomas Hardy's Ale's from 1995. One to drink for Christmas, and an extra! This beer has been my #1 want for a long time. It is incredibly rare to get the opportunity to try a 25 year old beer meant to be aged so long.

Poured much thicker than I expected with zero carb. A sweetness of burnt sugar gives way to raisins and finishes with brandy. The flavors linger forever in your mouth, what a delight. I haven't had this beer before so I really don't have a reference point to compare too, but it certainly seems like it has aged quite well. Thanks for making this happen Dave!

#BiL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. tommyguz

tommyguz May 14, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

@Dicers throwing down on Christmas.
    [​IMG]
    First sip vanilla. Felt like it was a bigger body beer. thought Medianoche. Said to the wife. It’s vanilla medianoche. She said can I open it. I said sure. She laughed and was impressed. Finally got one right!

[​IMG]

4. Dave_Treat

Dave_Treat Jun 23, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Save the other one. Or drink it, your call. I've got one in the fridge, I'll join you later, and one to save. Was fun hunting this down for you. When I told you I had one, I was thinking of vintage Lee's.

Enjoy. And Merry Christmas!

Dad_of_Rad, Franfab, treznor and 16 others like this.
  5. Dave_Treat

Trader

My Christmas day beer came with a glass, which I tried up open so I could use it without seeing it, I failed. So, I know it's MT. White wax. Huge barrel in smell and first taste. Vanilla in the back maybe? I'm going to drink it slow, already opening up some since first sip. That vanilla might not be vanilla...

[​IMG]

Franfab, treznor, robgage and 16 others like this.
  6. Dave_Treat

Trader

Been sipping on it for a while. Wow. The bourbon had really mellowed and the vanilla magically turned into the best adjunct. This is a Coconut bomb! Love it.

[​IMG]

MT Ultra Coconut. Fanatic! Thanks @PassMeAZima.

7. andreizm

andreizm Sep 17, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Day 2 from @Kylo76. Orange wax and small format. I don’t know of too many breweries that combine the two, so pulled out a hopefully proper glassware. Smooth barrel, some caramel sweetness up top with backing mild roast. There’s some adjuncts I think.. maybe vanilla? But not in your face. Very pleasant. After a bit of Untappd work, I think this is BAPF.

[​IMG]

8. azuelke

azuelke Nov 12, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Sorry for the delay with Day 1 @ninjembro, yesterday kicked my ass and I passed out before I got to open a bottle... I'll double up today though!

Choose your own adventure style, I grabbed the first wrapped bottle that I could get my hands on. This bottle poured slightly tart with a dry, wine finish.

[​IMG]

Never would have guessed gin barrels. Nice and refreshing, thanks Cody!

9. smanson56

smanson56 Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Opening day 5 from @sirhc3034 and the shape of the bottle and well the tell tale cap says it's another beer from Jester King. Pours a deep red purplish color and well the nose is raspberries all the way. I don't know the name off the top of my head so I'll be back with the reveal in a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I love raspberries so am really enjoying this beer Chris thanks so much.

10. Coorsy

Coorsy Jul 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Day 5- Christmas Day from @jschott75
    [​IMG]
    22oz Stout with some coffee colored wax, no coffee to be found in the nose/taste. Not picking up on any adjuncts, outside some dark chocolate. HUGE barrel presence. This is a heavy hitter.. No clue what the beer was. @jschott75 included a gift in which I had a pretty good hunch it was a shirt likely that will be from the brewery in which made this beer. Opening that and discovering it was Weldwerks, I knew this had to be some sort of medianoche, a wishlist item.

[​IMG]
    Double Barrel 1910 Medianoche. Never even heard of this until now but damn is this good. Sipped on this for a good 2.5 hours so that I didnt pass out in my plate of food in front of my family.
    [​IMG]

Thank you @jschott75 !

11. smanson56

smanson56 Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Well on to the reveal I probably should have known this but didn't. This Atrial Rubicite Blend #10. This is very enjoyable with great raspberry flavor. I really enjoyed this, Thanks Chris
    [​IMG]

12. jschott75

jschott75 May 19, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Glad you enjoyed.

Franfab, azuelke, smanson56 and 7 others like this.
  13. Kylo76

Kylo76 Aug 29, 2014 Colorado
    Trader

[​IMG]@PassMeAZima sent a glass and a huge BAstout. I think this is a clue....

mervmurry, Franfab, Lazhal and 19 others like this.
  14. Kylo76

Kylo76 Aug 29, 2014 Colorado
    Trader

[​IMG] Holy fuck Jason, this is over the top!!!! One of the best beers I’ve had in a long long time. Thanks @PassMeAZima !!!

15. andreizm

Trader

Now you know how I felt 2 years ago with @Cdolan04 being my sender.

16. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Another thick AF wax job from @dannyfayy
    [​IMG]

The bourbon smell immediately upon opening this was intense and insane. Didn’t get much of an adjunct and thought it might have been no adjuncts. I will say it was some of the best barrel representation I’ve ever seen in a beer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silly me! Should have known it was vanilla. Danny has me figured out and is killing the vanilla game.

17. adh2315

adh2315 Oct 23, 2020 Illinois
    Trader

@RuckIt Thanks for this one. It's been a minute since I've had some DG.
    Cheers!

[​IMG]

18. Swcreed013

Swcreed013 May 14, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Day 5- from @Dave_Treat specially labeled Christmas, so I had to. I knew what it was with the wax showing out of the wrapping and couldn’t be happier, this has been a long time want and never tried.

[​IMG]
    yeah such smooth cinnamon and barrel, has to be BA Abraxas! What makes this the best is I am at my in-laws which is rough enough, but it’s just me pounding beers as they don’t really drink, so this beauty is all mine. So fucking awesome, thanks Dave!
    [​IMG]

19. blassor

blassor Sep 2, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Merry Christmas fellow BIFers. Merv hit me with a 1-2 punch of tasty pastry stouts.

[​IMG]
    first bottle was a creamy vanilla bomb. Got lactose creaminess and vanilla.
    [​IMG]
    didn’t get the cheesecake- not sure if that’s possible lol or granola. Didn’t get much barrel but tasty.

next one!
    [​IMG]
    this one had tons of good barrel and vanilla. And some chocolate. Couldn’t place the last adjunct. @mervmurry gave me a hint then I saw a coconut floatie.
    [​IMG]
    this is excellent. Would definitely recommend. Balanced but present adjuncts. Nice barrel character. Hides the nearly 17% well. Thanks Merv!

Dad_of_Rad, Franfab, Lazhal and 24 others like this.
  20. Syracuse12

Syracuse12 Aug 21, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Day 2 via @tommyguz brings an almost stout, but not quite with a barrel that I can't quite identify.

[​IMG]

Really pretty easy drinking considering it is a BA dark beer that I probably drank too quickly.

[​IMG]

Nailed it? Really enjoyed this one as it was a nice change of pace from last night's fresh GNVP. Really easy drinking but also plenty of flavor. Thanks Tommy!

21. Bum4ever

Trader

Merry Christmas everyone! Christmas day bottle from @hardysf :
    [​IMG]
    Thick roasty stout with oak/bourbon/ and vanilla. Based on wax I was assuming a boiler BBA stout with vanilla. Wasn't sure if they had a bourbon aged vanilla killa, but that was my best guess.

[​IMG]
    This been was simply fantastic! As it warmed the oak and bourbon took over and there were hints of vanilla/caramel/chocolate. Enjoyed this for a good long time, thanks Stephen!

22. dmbforever

dmbforever May 8, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Day #5 from @Devman171 and my lambic sense was gearing for Fou...love that beer. I sure as hellz can never figure out my sender, but every once in awhile I can atleast get the beer right...yummy!! Thanks Dev!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. dmbforever

dmbforever May 8, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Glass is sick!!

Franfab, azuelke, UcDru and 10 others like this.
  24. Bum4ever

Trader

I love that glass, got it from @RuckIt in this very BIF a few years back.

25. sirhc3034

sirhc3034 May 22, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Merry Christmas! Day 5 is here and it comes complete with a card and wrapped gift with instructions to open after blind taste[​IMG]
    Black wax top similar to the Parrish brews I had earlier. Pour is dark as night and super thicc. Tons of Bourbon barrel on the nose. Taste follows. This is brew is a beast. Def a super complex barrel aged stout. Review and package opening time. [​IMG]
    Parrish Brewing - Decade one, complete with matching glassware. This beer is perfect! Love the glassware too. Thanks @SouthernSips !

26. valrxman

valrxman Jun 30, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Day 2 is here. Funky fruit. I have no clue.
    [​IMG]

Franfab, Lazhal, azuelke and 12 others like this.
  27. valrxman

valrxman Jun 30, 2010 Florida
    Trader

OMG. Vintage Casey Blackberry Fruitstand 2017

[​IMG]

Thanks so much @Swcreed013 Day 2 is awesome. Much love Scott

28. bl00

bl00 May 13, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Day 2 from @Dad_of_Rad

[​IMG]

The bottle is shaped like a mead. Cork reveals Schramms logo. Pours still, deep burgundy, near opaque. Nose is intensely honey, some berry. Taste is very sweet, thick with the complexity of honey. Cherry notes follow with a somewhat acidic finish. There's a little note that reminds me of watermelon and bubblegum too. Very strong red fruit vibes, though there's more to it. Could there be some blueberry in here? I can't pin in down so my final guess is cherry mead.

[​IMG]

I'll give myself a 25% correct for the cherry. This is an amazing mead. I've had a few Schramms before but I think this is my favorite. Thank you @Dad_of_Rad !

29. Jawnnm

Jawnnm Aug 21, 2010 New Mexico
    Trader

Day two from @blassor is an awesome cherry bomb. I'm guessing Referend because it's from Brandon but no idea beyond that.
    [​IMG]

Reveal is Kyrie from Referend, so I'll give myself partial points. Those one was great, so many cherries!
    [​IMG]
    Thanks, Brando!

30. NJB145

NJB145 May 18, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Day 2 from @dannyfayy brings me a smaller format bottle. The taste had a fruit to it that I couldn’t quite place. It was very good but had no idea what it is or the brewery.
    [​IMG]

The reveal - Side Project Montmorency. So far Danny has been steering away from Yinzer breweries...

[​IMG]

Thanks again Danny!!!

31. SouthernSips

SouthernSips Aug 7, 2018 Mississippi
    Trader

Well, here we are...Christmas and #6 on day 5!

The wax, bottle size, and smiley face all make me think this is something special so I'm glad the dice shined upon Christmas.

I kept the wax on the cap to avoid any spoilers but in the removal process it got scratched and there was green glitter. The only beers I know that do this are dark lord variants?? Either way, I don't smell soy sauce!

What I do smell is heaps of barrel. And taste loads of coffee. And this isn't boozy, but the alcohol definitely says big boy. This is fantastic and I can't wait to find out what the hell it is!

[​IMG]

mervmurry, Franfab, valrxman and 19 others like this.
  32. Snrubnivek

Snrubnivek Apr 16, 2016 California
    Trader

Merry Christmas everyone. I started early, just didn’t get the chance to post till now. Day 5 and this wrapped box from @thebeers including PGW and box of chocolate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Was able to finish 3 off before heading out to celebrate Christmas with family.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Started with the base, then Mocha Latte and lastly Sarsaparilla. Mocha Latte and regular Ralphius were both excellent. Thanks Arthur!

33. JasonR1975

JasonR1975 Jun 11, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Cheers @treznor - assist from @Kylo76 on that one!

mervmurry, Franfab, azuelke and 8 others like this.
  34. JasonR1975

JasonR1975 Jun 11, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

12/25 Christmas beer from @andreizm

Definitely not as up to speed on 3F as I should be but this lambic (I think) absolutely slaps.

There was a sweetness I attributed to maybe wine barrels but it ended up being Zenne y Frontera (brandy barrels)

Thanks Andrei!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

35. bl00

bl00 May 13, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Realy nice extra from @Dad_of_Rad, thank you Benji! Been looking forward to this one.
    [​IMG]

36. sj3324

sj3324 Jun 9, 2011 Missouri
    Trader

Merry Christmas everybody!
    Today started with this lovely extra from @soma27 around 7 am while prepping the roast beast and Yorkshire pudding. [​IMG]
    Once the in-laws all left, it was time to unwind and enjoy day 2 from Chris.
    [​IMG]
    Light blue wax with electrical tape presumably covering a logo. Poured pitch black with no noticeable head. Tons of coffee on the nose. Taste followed with coffee and vanilla. Finished with great barrel. I had no clue what it was, other than it being damn tasty.
    [​IMG]
    Equilibrium BA Players. Collab with 3 Chiefs. This beer was fantastic. It was my first BA offering from EQ. I have had quite a few different ipas from them that were all great, so it was not surprise that this was fantastic also. Thank you so much Chris, this was a hell of a treat!

37. mervmurry

mervmurry Aug 24, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Day 5 from @tommyguz poured a little lighter than the last few days, but had tons of bourbon and oak. Vanilla and caramel also jumped from the glass. I drank about half before I decided it was a non-adjuncted BBA stout (or maybe a porter).
    [​IMG]

DBA BBVD (Rye and Bourbon)! This was a tasty beer, Tom. It was less complex than the Apothic and Hot Garbage, but that Voodoo barrel was def there. I thought this was more barrel forward than the other beers so far. I can't wait for Day 6! I will be adding Day 3 from @Coorsy's rotation tomorrow too... #TreatKilledMerv #TreatAndJawnKilledMerv
    [​IMG]

I also drank these (Weldwerks from @Jawnnm) and did this sweet donut puzzle than I got from Jan for Christmas (with Jan)!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

38. tsgooch79

tsgooch79 May 6, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

Merry Christmas, y’all! Rolled a 6 so popped open 6A from @campa86.

[​IMG]

Cap showed Bottle Logic and the pour was lighter than a stout. Nose was vanilla. Taste was the same. Given the non-Stout and vanilla, I’m guessing it’s Intrepid Orchid.

[​IMG]

Another solid bottle from CA! Thanks @campa86

39. andreizm

Trader

Guessed the brewery, but not the beer. Double Oak Black Magick. Really smooth barrel threw me off. Thanks, Kyle!

[​IMG]

40. dannyfayy

dannyfayy Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Finally getting caught up after a busy 2 days. I hope everyone had a great Christmas !!
    Another box of swag/beer/ presents for my kids showed up.
    [​IMG]
    Some awesome Sapwood swag, some Sapwood extras, Day 11, and some extremely thoughtful gifts for my kids. Thanks so much Steve !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.