12 Days of Christmas - 2020

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Dave_Treat, Nov 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirhc3034

sirhc3034 May 22, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Day 10 time in a hotel after a 7hr drive. Not ideal glassware but what the hell. [​IMG]
    Pours dark as night. Nose is bourbon and sweetness. Loads of maple in the taste. It’s late so reveal time....[​IMG]
    Booze for Breakfast from Eagle Park Brewing. Another new one for me! Love the maple sweetness. Vanilla and coffee come through nicely as it warms. Thanks @UcDru !

2. SouthernSips

SouthernSips Aug 7, 2018 Mississippi
    Trader

Day 10 and dice roll brings up bottle 12 from Benji @Dad_of_Rad! The moment the seal broke on the cap, I knew this was raspberry. Speaking of, the silver cap led me to belive this was either from Hill farmstead or Side Project.

The taste definitely confirms raspberry, though it is much more clearly present in the smell than the flavor.

[​IMG]

The reveal is Pulling Nails by Side Project! This is one of those bottles I would of been super excited about if I had known what it was before drinking and it didn't disappoint. I'll still reach for Casey if given the choice, but this is definitely great. Thanks again man!

[​IMG]

3. azuelke

azuelke Nov 12, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Hey, you're drinking a stout from WI... we've already come to terms with our shortcomings.

4. dannyfayy

dannyfayy Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Day 10 from @Bum4ever
    [​IMG]
    Goose Island Cap, pours dark and thiccc. Initial taste I thought might have been cherry. But as this warms up, it’s a chocolate bomb. My guess was Prop 18, another wishlist bottle.
    [​IMG]
    Close... Prop 2019, and yes another wishlist bottle (8 wishlist bottles so far out of 10 days). There’s a little pecan in there, I just had to search for it. Really good stuff, thanks Josh.

5. tsgooch79

tsgooch79 May 6, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

Day 10 took me a couple of rolls to get a number still in play but ended up with a 4. Bottle 4A from @campa86 has the size of the previous Bottle Logic bottles, but once again a blank cap says otherwise.

[​IMG]

It’s got the look of a stout. Nose is cinnamon, chocolate, maybe some spices in there too. Taste is the same, with cinnamon leading the way with just enough pepper on the backend to let you know it’s in there without overpowering everything. Based on what @campa86’s other target has already had, I’m gonna guess this is Carrito from Monkish.

[​IMG]

Back on track after a few misses. I didn’t realize that Monkish did anything other than hazy ipas, so this was a pleasant surprise!!

6. timmy2b

timmy2b Jan 24, 2007 New York
    Trader

Day 5 from @Sassyshe888 was a chocolate coffee BA stout from Bottle Logic. Cap was a giveaway, but I had no idea what the name of the beer was. Very creamy and smooth.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Bottle Logic/Toppling Goliath - The Fall Of Umibozu 2020. Awesome beer that totally lived up to its untappd rating of 4.503. Not sure I deserved this but I'm very happy I was able to have it!

7. Syracuse12

Syracuse12 Aug 21, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Sorry that I didn't post this one last night when I drank it. I got stout, no adjuncts and some barrel but couldn't quite place what barrel it was.

[​IMG]

I drank the first glass worth and unwrapped it:

[​IMG]

Bourbon and rye barrel was the answer and probably the cause of my confusion (either that or I'm just bad as this game) the latter is the more likely option.

Thanks @tommyguz this was fantastic and I really enjoyed it.

8. vitaminvert

vitaminvert Oct 12, 2014 Colorado
    Trader

Yesterday was a day that needed beer, and @dannyfayy delivered yet again.

[​IMG]

This is really really good. First taste was like BA Chocky Milk. As it warms I'm beginning to wonder if that's actually coconut or vanilla and some roast. Regardless, is fantastic and just what the Dr ordered.

[​IMG]

Cheers Danny, another winner!!

Dan_K, Dad_of_Rad, dannyfayy and 22 others like this.
  9. Dicers

Dicers Sep 2, 2012 California
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Day 10 from @treznor

[​IMG]
    Nice bodied stout, barrel on the nose. Pretty smooth, overall a good stout. No idea what it is

[​IMG]

Reveal: 2014 Event Horizon -This beer has held up incredibly well would have never pegged it for 6+ years old. Thanks again

10. treznor

treznor Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

In general that beer holds up quite well to some age and the 2014s have been drinking quite well recently.

Dan_K, PA-Michigander, bl00 and 11 others like this.
  11. Franfab

Franfab Apr 3, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

Moving things around since I wanted/needed a smaller format today. Drinking 12 days was more than bargained for but I can see the finish line. I was rewarded with this delightful beer that smelled like it had been in wine barrels. Had the wife open it for me per instructions as well.

[​IMG]

I think there is fruit in this and I'm guessing Russian River since there was already a banger from them in here. I've never had this before but anything by them in wine barrels has always treated me well.

[​IMG]

Compunction from RR. @SouthernSips The sours/wilds you have chosen for this box have just been incredible. Thank you for this one as well. Truly making drinking 12 days worth it!

12. RuckIt

RuckIt Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Check the stamp on the back. Looks like CD-2020 based on bottle size?

Dan_K, bl00, Dave_Treat and 5 others like this.
  13. mervmurry

mervmurry Aug 24, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Day 4 (of the 6 DoX) from @Coorsy poured a beautiful golden color with lots of funk shooting from the glass. I grabbed my HF balloon that Corey sent me in 12 DoX a few years ago, but I didn't think this was HF. It was really funky, tart and oaky with a restrained acidity. I thought I detected some peach or nectarine, but I didn't think this was fruited. I thought it might be a Freak Folk beer because I knew Corey heads up that way at least a few times a year. I didn't have a guess as to the beer other than a mixed ferm saison from them.
    [​IMG]

It was in fact Freak Folk. Signet - ale aged on lees for 8 months and then blended with stainless beer and then conditioned on tangerine gem marigolds! Damn this was good, a perfect mixed ferm saison. The last pour with the dregs was even better. Thank you so much for sharing! I might have to trade for another bottle of this! Cheers Corey!
    [​IMG]

Day 10 (of 12 DoX) from @tommyguz poured into #PGW with jet black color. I assumed going into this that it was another Voodoo BA stout. This one was thicc and a little sweeter than the Apothics I had earlier. I got tons of barrel, chocolate and even a little umami. I had to guess right off the bat that this was a BM, but I didn't know which edition. I wanted to drink it blind so I didn't try to look up the wax color to match it up.
    [​IMG]

Black Magick Aged in Irish Whiskey Barrels! I'll be damned! I had no idea it wasn't bourbon. So rich and dessert-like. I sipped on this for at least an hour. This was one of my favs so far. Thanks Tom! I can't wait to see what the last 2 days have in store for me!
    [​IMG]

Dan_K, blassor, Dad_of_Rad and 22 others like this.
  14. Corriecrafts

Corriecrafts Nov 11, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

Poured this and as soon as it hit the glass a bust of peaches hit me. Was very excited to see and try this brew bc peaches is my jam. Color was a little lighter than I excepted with all the aroma of peaches. First sip definitely peach but something up front I couldnt put my finger on. I was think honeysuckle. They definitely went well together with a creamy oak finish. This is delicious @oline73 thanks for sharing![​IMG]
    Ahhhhhh it was Nectarine fucking yum!!!
    Another banger thanks Steve!

Dan_K, blassor, Dad_of_Rad and 17 others like this.
  15. soma27

soma27 Dec 18, 2014 New York
    Trader

Catching up a bit with two days of drinking.

To bridge the gap between 6 days , and try and warm up while being socially distanced in 25 degree temps, opened up 2 of the bourbon samples on 12/29 (plus pours of the Locals Remus bottle for all) while outside by a fire. Terrible pic, but amazing bourbon. I have not had a ton of bourbon in my life, and less of the good stuff, so to be able to have the WLW and THH from the 2019 Buffalo Trace Antique collection was really special. Thanks again @RuckIt

[​IMG]

Now officially on to day 4 (for the 6 day crew). There was no way to hide this was a Cantillon due to the cork, so busted out the pgw for real this time.

[​IMG]

A hint on the back of the label said "with vegetables" and this did seem somewhat familiar, so I guessed Nath and was correct. I had a glass of this at a recent Zwanze day (maybe 2018), but to be able to have a whole bottle is always a treat. 4 great days so far, and looking forward to the final 2.

[​IMG]

Dan_K, blassor, robgage and 20 others like this.
  16. soma27

soma27 Dec 18, 2014 New York
    Trader

Glad you are enjoying it @sj3324 / Seth. I look forward to the post / tag of the opening from you every day, *almost* as much as drinking the beer @RuckIt sent my way. Excited about one of your final 2 days (a bit less so on the other, you will understand why - but I forget which day is which).

Dan_K, blassor, robgage and 13 others like this.
  17. Bum4ever

Bum4ever Jan 18, 2017 California
    Trader

Another big assist from @Franfab on that one. Thanks for the help Frank!

Dan_K, Dad_of_Rad, Franfab and 9 others like this.
  18. NJB145

NJB145 May 18, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Day 4 from @dannyfayy bought me a light blue waxed bottle which at first glance made me think it was from Voodoo. After taking a flamethrower to get through the wax, I decided that this wasn’t a Voodoo bottle as they seem to be on point with their Wax game. I got some barrel and a ton of chocolate in both the taste and aroma. I have no idea what this is or where it is from (although I do seem to remember seeing some similarly waxed bottles either here or on another forum which makes me think this is a Yinzer beer).
    [​IMG]

The reveal: Cinderlands Douse: Cacao and Coconut
    [​IMG]
    This was delicious, although I got absolutely no coconut out of it. Thanks Danny!

19. andreizm

andreizm Sep 17, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Forgot to post Day 4 last night, but here it goes.

[​IMG]

Cracked this open and the smell from the bottle was amazing. Tastes of bourbon, dusty cocoa, bittersweet chocolate. I don’t know of too many breweries using 500ml format with a dark blue wax that has a pull tab on it. Maybe Kane? Super delicious.

[​IMG]

Oh snap! Vanilla Here Be Monsters from Cerebral. I've only had the regular before and this is a great variant. Very tasty bottle, thank you @Kylo76!

20. hardysf

hardysf Mar 17, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Day 11 from @sirhc3034 . Happy new year's eve everybody.

[​IMG]

Another day I got the brewery based on cap alone. This tastes like some kind of berry mixture. Raspberries, currants, and maybe black berries. Typical Jester king balance. This is a good one but no idea what it is. There is a common Jester king bottle nocturn chrysalis, which is all blackberry, so that makes sense.

[​IMG]

My detective skills worked. Jester king nocturn chrysalis. Thanks Chris.

Dan_K, blassor, robgage and 19 others like this.
  21. hardysf

hardysf Mar 17, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I also came home from vacation to a surprise box from @oline73 .
    [​IMG]

A sapwood cellars tee and snifter and two more cans of beer. Also, a nice bottle of bourbon picked out by some locals. Very interested in trying this one picked out by you guys. Thanks a ton Stephen.

22. PassMeAZima

PassMeAZima Jan 1, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

Day 10 (from last night). This one is from @robgage Got to share with a few Locals last night. Really good. But hard to believe it was a non-adjunct BA Barleywine. Big maple or apple brandy presence. Very tasty. Thank you sir! #L4L

[​IMG]

Dan_K, blassor, robgage and 16 others like this.
  23. treznor

treznor Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

Sad that we're close to coming to an end to the 12 Days. Day 11 from @Lazhal .

[​IMG]

Imperial stout, dark, chewy, smooth. Definitely barrel there but not hot at all and the barrel doesn't overwhelm at all. Lots of coconut. Others flavors too but can't pick them out seperately.

[​IMG]

Homes Doozie Coconut. Tons of adjuncts in here, but it really doesn't taste over the top other than maybe the coconut, but I think that was the intention. Really nice coconut flavor, no suntan lotion that coconut can taste like sometimes. Amazing beer! Cheers @Lazhal !

P.S. not the most style-appropriate glass but my wife wanted to go with season appropriate, so went for it.

#2103 treznor, Dec 31, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Dan_K, blassor, robgage and 18 others like this.
  24. UcDru

UcDru Aug 15, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Thanks to @Dad_of_Rad for the assist on this one!

Dan_K, devilfluff, Dad_of_Rad and 8 others like this.
  25. SouthernSips

SouthernSips Aug 7, 2018 Mississippi
    Trader

It is a sad damn thought isn't it? The memories have been great but already Day 11! :sob:

Dan_K, Dad_of_Rad, Franfab and 12 others like this.
  26. Snrubnivek

Snrubnivek Apr 16, 2016 California
    Trader

A day behind so getting started with this one from @Lazhal
    [​IMG]
    Nice rich, chocolate flavor on this stout. I think it’s barrel aged but not 100% sure. I also think there’s PB in this and maybe vanilla? Back with the verdict.

Dan_K, blassor, robgage and 12 others like this.
  27. andreizm

andreizm Sep 17, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Finally feeling strong enough to crack open today’s bottle from @Kylo76. Oxygen seal cap tells me this might be Hill Farmstead. Pours wonderful golden color with white lacy head that settles into a ring. Lemony tartness, hay, malt, a bit of vinous character. Beautifully complex. Will be back with the reveal later.

[​IMG]

Dan_K, blassor, robgage and 13 others like this.
  28. Snrubnivek

Trader

This was excellent @Lazhal I bombed on most of my guess but I really enjoyed this. Thick, smooth and nice barrel as it warmed up. Thanks Cliff!
    [​IMG]

Dan_K, robgage, Franfab and 11 others like this.
  29. UcDru

UcDru Aug 15, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Day 10 from last night...thanks to @sj3324

[​IMG]

Pours really dark brown almost black... initial thought is a stout no adjuncts present in the nose but the looks may be deceiving as the nose is filled with dark brown sugar, toffee and some leather. On the palate it is very stout like no adjuncts confirmed could be blended. After talking it out with @KyleDavis @PassMeAZima and @PeterR we concluded this is another banger from Seth... Anabasis?!
    [​IMG]

Wow.. thanks Seth and this was a great beer to share with some great dudes.

Dan_K, devilfluff, robgage and 20 others like this.
  30. Snrubnivek

Trader

Catching up again with 10B from @Lazhal
    [​IMG]
    Black cap, nose and 1st sip a dead giveaway for Revolution. I’ve had a lot of Rev Deep Woods stuff but don’t think I’ve had this one. Dark like a stout but getting a little BW vibe. Back with the result shortly.

blassor, robgage, Franfab and 12 others like this.
  31. Lazhal

Lazhal Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

And on to day 11 from @TheOneTC. I will echo others thoughts, it's always sad to be nearing the end.

Gold wax, pretty sure bourbon barrel, and a fine barleywine. Digging this one for sure.
    [​IMG]

blassor, robgage, Franfab and 12 others like this.
  32. smanson56

smanson56 Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Moving on to day 11 from @sirhc3034. Upon opening i see the now familiar Jester King cap. Upon opening the beer pours a dark reddish purple color. Nose says tart cherries, taste says cherries also but much more muted in taste than the nose. I'm going to drink a little more of this and then I'll be back with the reveal. Thanks for sharing this Chris.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dan_K, sirhc3034, robgage and 14 others like this.
  33. Swcreed013

Swcreed013 May 14, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

We need more pages to get to 80 something I guessed in the LIF, so splitting my posts. Day 11 from @PA-Michigander - clearly a mead from standard, ideal for sipping all night.

[​IMG]
    Thanks Nick, this is awesome

Dan_K, blassor, robgage and 15 others like this.
  34. smanson56

smanson56 Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Okay moving on to the reveal. I missed the fruit in this all together. This is Nocturn Chrysalis. Barrel-aged sour refermented with Marion Blackberries. Even after knowing I don't really get blackberries. Thanks again for sharing this Chris.[​IMG]

Dan_K, blassor, sirhc3034 and 18 others like this.
  35. Tee2Grn

Tee2Grn Nov 6, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

Day 5 from @robgage smells like a sour with some sort of fruit. After tasting it I believe I am dealing with raspberries.
    [​IMG]

I was right with raspberries but missed the other berries. Thanks Rob. Another great beer on my 6dox voyage.

[​IMG]

36. Bum4ever

Bum4ever Jan 18, 2017 California
    Trader

@Coorsy had sent what I am sure was going to be a wonderful 6 days of drinking box a couple weeks ago. Problem was, FedEx in all its incompetency, somehow disappeared that box.

Yesterday Corey let me know that a new box would be landing via another local. It seems that some of the locals pitched in and had a 12-shipper overnighted to my porch. Today an awesome looking box landed from @campa86.

First up the wrapped days:
    [​IMG]
    Can't wait to dig in and get cracking on these, will be doing so very shortly!

Next up, some great looking extras:
    [​IMG]
    @campa86 was able to come up with all new ticks, including some monkish (wishlist items), and 2 local pick bourbon samples that I'm really excited to try.

Wanted to say thank you to Corey for being on top of all this, and of course to Michael for the excellent looking box of beers. Also, thank you to any other locals that pitched in on this. Cheers!

Dan_K, blassor, devilfluff and 23 others like this.
  37. Dave_Treat

Dave_Treat Jun 23, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Just realized I didn't post last night. Sorry @timmy2b .

This one was very nice. Really smooth as it earned up. Coconut and cinnamon. Really enjoying it.

[​IMG]

Dan_K, robgage, Franfab and 14 others like this.
  38. Dave_Treat

Trader

This is really what this BIF is all about. Thanks @campa86 for pulling it together for us. Enjoy @Bum4ever.

Dan_K, Dad_of_Rad, Franfab and 15 others like this.
  39. Dave_Treat

Trader

I'm now going to post everything in small chunks. We have to get to 111 pages....

Dan_K, Franfab, smanson56 and 4 others like this.
  40. Dave_Treat

Trader

So next post will be the reveal for my day 10 beer

Dan_K, robgage, Franfab and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.