'13 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout & variants, Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by sisterthelonious, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sisterthelonious

sisterthelonious Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2013 Wisconsin

Not sure if there is a specific Milwaukee thread for '13 yet, couldn't find one.

Seems like the big boys (Ray's, Otto's, Discount) already rec'd and doled out their variants over the "Black Friday" weekend.

Three Cellars held a Friday event as well, and sold out of both regular and variants.

Several small shops have told me that they haven't even rec'd their shipments yet, due to the Holiday messing up distribution schedules. So there is still hope for those of us who haven't been able to get our hands on the BCBW, BCBS Coffee, or variant bottles.

Downer claims that they don't have theirs yet, but they're being pretty secretive about it.

Whole Foods had no BCBS and hardly any Goose Island at all on the shelves. Wondering if they have even rec'd theirs yet.

Anybody know if Sendik's ever receives BCBS? I've been keeping an eye on the Oakland Ave Sendik's for about a year- beer hardly moves there, so my guess is that they don't re-up enough to get special releases.

2. Tiburon

Tiburon Aspirant (214) Sep 29, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

As of 11.45am today, Woodman's in Kenosha still has about 7 cases of BCBS for sale @ $19.99. Limit of two 4 packs per customer. The 4 pack I just got there was dated 9/4/13, and the two I got at Consumer Beverage on Black Friday were dated 10/15.
    I am a little salty at Three Cellars, as I stood in line for about 20 minutes on Friday, only to get shut out. They sold to about 25% of the people that were in line when they opened. At least they had it, and I will get there earlier next year

3. sisterthelonious

Otto's has a few cases of BCBS left @ $19.99 a 4-pack, no limit listed. They ran through their variants yesterday.

Bummer about Three Cellars. Did they have a bottle/4-pack limit? They'll probably get an increased amount next year, but most of that depends on how much GI they sell over the course of the year.

It's a tough spot to be put in as a small shop owner. Several large shops will get enough to last through the weekend, but you're only given 2-3 cases and maybe a bottle of each variant if you're lucky. How do you decide to sell it? I think you just have to be as honest as possible beforehand.

I'm a big fan of unannounced releases & reasonable bottle limits. That is the best way to give regulars a shot at the "rare" beers. Plus, it makes a trip to the beer store exciting every time.

Keep an eye on the small mom & pop shops around town. Most of them will be receiving their 1-3 cases of BCBS + a variant bottle or two with this weeks distribution.

Westuh likes this.
  4. Westuh

Westuh Aspirant (271) Oct 9, 2012 Wisconsin

Ottos Oakland had roughly 5-6 cases left at the end of last night @18.99 4 pack.

Shakory and sisterthelonious like this.
  5. Shakory

Shakory Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Wisconsin

18.99 damn good deal

sisterthelonious likes this.
  6. stayclean

stayclean Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2012 Wisconsin

Got back from Otto's a little while ago, still had 3 cases when I left (about an hour ago). Not going to really bother with the variants, most likely way too late for that anyway. Here's hoping for next year.

Westuh likes this.
  7. sisterthelonious

There still seem to be a handful of small shops that haven't gotten their shipments yet, and aren't really sure what they'll be receiving in terms of variants. I'm holding out for a pack of barleywine, but won't be upset if a few extra 4-packs of the standard are all that I get.

stayclean likes this.
  8. stayclean

Yeah, I REALLY want like, a bottle or two of coffee and barleywine, ha. A 4-pk would be really nice, but since I have never been able to actually acquire any coffee, a single or two would be SWELL.

9. sisterthelonious

I somehow landed a bomber each of '12 coffee & '12 cherry rye BCBS at a little shop a few months ago. I think I was their first craft beer regular- one day they pulled them out and said, "hey, we thought you might want to buy these..." haven't opened yet :slight_smile:

Westuh likes this.
  10. sisterthelonious

I'm still not clear on the ordering procedure for shops wanting BCBS. It seems like they don't know what they're getting until the day it arrives- wouldn't they have to tell the distributor what they wanted to order prior to receiving it? Or is this beer so in demand that most shops just agree to take whatever they can get?

11. Westuh

Every Rare or sought after beer is allocated first based on your sales of their brand. So, if you sell a lot of 312, sisters, and have displays in the store, you end up getting more BCBS and variants. I'm sure these smaller stores get asked if they wanted to carry it earlier if Beechwood still has any left somehow, and then it randomly comes in. If you have time, I'd definitely search outside of Milwaukee area, more north, and I'm sure youll find some variants.

sisterthelonious likes this.
  12. sisterthelonious

What standard Goose Islands sells well in Milwaukee? I think I've only bought single bottles to try the 312, IPA, etc. Didn't think that they were any better than more local options, so I haven't bought packs of them. Every once in awhile I'll pick up a Pepe or Matilda. But the Sisters are so damned expensive- Halia is the only one I purchased. There seem to be a lot of them still on the shelves.

If I ran a small shop, I don't know if I'd be able to afford the risk of not selling large purchases of GI in order to qualify for decent amounts of BCBS.

Founders does the same thing, far as I can tell, but their standard line and seasonal beers seem to move off of shelves much faster (and are way, way better) than GI.

Wisconsin's distribution is really interesting to me, having recently moved here from Southern Cali, where most craft breweries are distributed by themselves or by Stone. There seems to be a much more even distribution in that system.

13. Westuh

312 and 4 packs of the sisters is about it. The bigger more rare bottles of the sisters which you talk about really didnt sell well, and will likely be shelf turds for awhile.

Scott Walker ruined it for small breweries on the distribution end. :slight_frown:

stayclean likes this.
  14. stayclean

Yeah, I remember reading about all that stuff, was really nice to see New Glarus raise a bit of a big stink about it. Hopefully one day all that goes away.

15. Diotima

Diotima Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 Wisconsin

Downer will sell you some if you know the secret handshake. I know a few smaller shops that said they were getting theirs in on Monday.

16. sherm1016

sherm1016 Aspirant (210) Aug 10, 2009 Wisconsin

Downer will sell you some if you shop there regularly. The likely will not sell you anything if you rarely shop there, walk in and ask "Where's the Bourbon County?" and then leave without buying anything.

17. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2013 Minnesota

Not Milwauklee, but I bought 2 4 pks of BCBS yesterday at the Darboy (Appleton) Festival for $17.49 each. Cheapest I saw in IL or WI.

cliffjeckel and ThreeTens like this.
  18. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (366) May 17, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

So this should go for around $20? I found a place in Winfield that was selling it for $37!

19. Mitchell57

Mitchell57 Initiate (167) Jan 8, 2013 Wisconsin

I got the regular at Discount Liquor for $19.99. Very reasonable considering the other prices I am hearing about

FishAndBeer likes this.
  20. ThreeTens

ThreeTens Initiate (177) Mar 9, 2013 Wisconsin

Dang, didn't kow they got any. But did pay the same price for a 4pk of coffee @ Club Liquor in menasha this afternoon. Had to ask for it, not sure what was left...

21. cliffjeckel

cliffjeckel Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2013 South Dakota

Good to know, I'm up in Fond du Lac for the next couple weeks and would love to track down some in the FDL/Oshkosh/Appleton area.

22. Shakory

Shakory Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Wisconsin

got a backyard and 2 coffees at woodmans in Menominee falls yesterday mid afternoon, sure they are sold out now though. Would love to get more backyard and coffee but i think most of the state was sold out friday morning

23. Diotima

Diotima Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 Wisconsin

I also got 2 coffees and a backyard at Whole Foods in Milwaukee today.

stayclean likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.