1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

16 brewers reflect on beers that blew them away

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SFACRKnight, Apr 16, 2019 at 7:47 PM.

1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,294) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,430) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Great read. Thanks!

PatrickCT and SFACRKnight like this.
  3. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,398) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

This one got an eye-roll from me:
    :rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes:

(OK, two eye-rolls...)

ShanePB, jakecattleco, thuey and 18 others like this.
  4. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,563) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Beer Instagramming is a profession now? :rolling_eyes::wink:

5. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,398) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I was gonna comment on that, too.

6. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (142) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

Jeez, Geriz, don’t be so humble...:no_mouth:

7. beer_beer

beer_beer Aspirant (217) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

The beer I remember best is the one I had last night. Or was it the night before?

8. StJamesGate

StJamesGate Poo-Bah (4,198) Oct 8, 2007 New York

There's a lot of love for funk in that article.

9. Izzy_Izumi

Izzy_Izumi Initiate (99) Aug 3, 2017 California
    Trader

Vito from BW (err, is that Beachwood or Brouwerij West?) spotted. :heart_eyes:

10. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,320) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

The last one in the list mentioned a beer they'd had and liked before, but when they had it while camping it was incredible. That's a phenomenon that has more to do with camping than the drink or food. Canned Dinty Moore stew ONLY tastes great when camping, otherwise it sucks. Same with beer - when you're toughing it, ALMOST any beer is great.

11. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (564) Mar 28, 2009 California

After years and countless hours talking about taking a trip to Alpine my best friend got a work transfer so we finally made the 2 hour trek to Alpine. I will never forget that moment of Drinking fresh Nelson on the patio at sunset with my best friend. I am talking about OG alpine not the GF Alpine.

The most memorable beers have a story to them and are more than just the beer itself

montman, jakecattleco, dcotom and 4 others like this.
  12. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,736) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

No idea exactly on the correct year, but it was about the same time my son was preparing to deploy to Afghanistan, so 2011/2012 give or take. We drove from Ft Drum to Waterbury Vt, stunning drive and it was in Oct and it was pretty damn cold. We checked into the Old Stagecoach Inn, and into Pro Pig for my very first Heady on tap, it was about 18 degrees and snowing with NC style BBQ for dinner, and that Heady was as good as any beer could possibly be. We slid over to BlackBack Pub, and HF Susan was on tap, and numerous Lawson beers.

Let me add this one too. I did July//Aug/Sept in Paris Island Sc. I learned the meaning of hot and humid, the heat was righteous. You didn’t sweat you oozed, absolutely the most miserable 13 weeks of my life. I didn’t miss my GF, in that sweltering heat I dreamed of a frosted mug of Budweiser slowly over flowing down the sides of the glass. It drove me insane, I wanted a beer bad enough that given a knife I would have taken one at any cost vs anyone. Flying home on leave after graduation I stopped at the bar in the Charleston airport and put down two Buds in about two minutes, given my pristine health I was pretty buzzed. That was phenomenal as well, you had to be there to appreciate how damn good that beer was.

13. scream

scream Crusader (760) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

These types of posts are always interesting to look at. Then , mostly disappointing. Many beers noted that most will never see. And, in the end it is all about one's palate. If someone posts a beer in an article, thread or whatever such as this it may give me cause to to look further, but there are many good beers where I am. I for the most part do seek out those hard to find ones. Might be my loss but I am not compainin'

14. zid

zid Savant (979) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Perhaps, but the title of the thread wasn't the title of the article. Here's the article's premise:

15. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (150) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Back in 2001 I did a volunteer project in Germany and had 5 days afterwards to do a little sightseeing with a pretty German gal I met on the project- we took a train to Prague. After checking into a hostel we headed to the bar- I asked for beer and got what I assumed was a standard Czech pilsner. After doing the currency conversion in my head and realizing the beer cost about 42 cents I expected it to be swill, but as I gazed into the eyes of my enchanting travel companion and brought the glass to my lips I could not believe how lucky I was- what a beer!. I can't recommend drinking cheap Czech beer with German gals in dimly lit Prague pubs enough.

16. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (364) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

Not one, but two out of the quoted sixteen industry people.

hopsputin likes this.
  17. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,563) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I wouldn't have commented if it was only one; the second one crossed the threshold :sunglasses:.

18. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,294) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I felt the same way. I guess homerism is a struggle for brewers too.

ShanePB and TongoRad like this.
  19. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (1,744) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

I too thought the same thing. Rolling my eyes quite loudly at that.

TongoRad likes this.
  20. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (2,889) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society

Vasili of Wunderkammer Bier knows his stuff!
    I've always thought this was one of their best.
    Cheers!!

[​IMG]

TongoRad likes this.
  21. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (142) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

I guess seeing as a few others are sharing, I may as well.

I was in Ireland with my mom, she’s quite literally 100% Irish, so we stayed most of the time in Dublin and then to county Mayo where her family is from.

I was really new to beer at the time. My dad homebrewed occasionally, and my family was really into craft, so I had a basic knowledge.

We go into L. Mulligan Grocer in NW-ish Dublin ‘cause it was literally a block from where we stayed. Asked the bartender what was good, he recommended the Fleadh Ale from White Hag. Said he could kill the whole keg if he was allowed to. So I tried it. And it was fucking brilliant. A red IPA with so much great balanced flavor to my young palate which would’ve hated a hoppy beer. It was the beer that made me want to get interested in making beer, and everything that went into it. Basically forged my career from then on.

I noticed in this bar, there was a shitload of Cleveland Browns regalia around. I asked the bartender “What’s up with this? I’m from Cleveland, this is the LAST place I’d imagine to see this.”
    He goes, “One of the owners is from Cleveland, he’s also the brewmaster of that beer you’re drinking!” No shit. Talk about coincidence. Ended up emailing the guy years later and he gave me the recipe for the beer that made me fall in love with beer.

JackHorzempa, zid, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  22. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,955) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

@zid covered my concern with your emphasis on best/phenomenal.

For personal perspective, I'd saved Deschutes Black Butte^3 to be consumed on top of Black Butte during totality of the 2017 solar eclipse. Wild fires/smoke forced us east to John Day National Monument for views. The beer was delicious while enjoying the eclipse and Dark Side of the Moon from Pink Floyd. Is Black Butte^3 my best/ favorite beer, No. Was it a fantastic beer who's time/place/circumstance of consumption make it my most memorable, Absolutely.

Now had Black Butte^3 become my intended Black Butte^4, I may need to make it my best beer :wink:

bbtkd likes this.
  23. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,970) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Any beer you've ever drank, and he picks one his own brewery made a few months ago? FFS, what a vapid, egotistical answer.

24. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,902) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I took note that quite a few of the folks made mention of Belgian (or Belgian style) Ales.

I was visiting Belgium (Brussels) 20+ years ago and at that time I knew little about Belgian beers. I did notice signs everywhere for Jupiler but I knew nothing about that beer. I went to a cafe close to my hotel. On a beer menu in bold Duvel was listed. I asked for a bottle of Duvel because, well it was in bold. That bottle was glorious!:slight_smile: I really did not know at that time what beer style it was but I sure did know I liked it. So, I ordered another bottle and then another. As I paid my check and got up to leave I 'felt' those beers - I felt drunk. I thought to myself how could I be feeling this way after only three small beers? Well, I came to find out later how strong these beers were in alcohol content; I did not taste the alcohol whatsoever when I was drinking them.

After that drinking experience I became a BIG fan of various Belgian Ale styles.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

P.S. I did have one Jupiler when I visited and to my disappointment it turned out to be a bland Euro Lager.:slight_frown:

mambossa likes this.
  25. bgold86

bgold86 Savant (954) Apr 1, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

To be fair, and as being discussed right now on the OH forum, everyone raved about the OH 5th Anniversary Banana stout. Especially considering the strong reviews from other breweries' festivals as one of if not the best in show. The beer was by far the most requested bottle I and friends have ever had from OH. Literally everyone I knew contacted me or friends for a bottle. That being said, it is cheesy that an OH employee touted an OH beer for this list, but who cares, it's just beer...