$16 SA BB3... Fair or Foul?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Grendle, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,528) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Ha thanks, but not on facebook either:grinning:

2. miikezombie

miikezombie Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2010 Texas

Some how that sounds more condescending than all of my posts combined. I feel......defeated.

jl28r1, Beernerds and air like this.
  3. aschwab

aschwab Zealot (501) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

Jose Luis Cubria@beernerds
    1h

.@thefriendlyspot in San Antonio is charging $16 for 12oz btls of #KBS & #BB3. Not too friendly. Thoughts, @saintarnold & @foundersbrewing?

The Friendly Spot @thefriendlyspot
    28m

@beernerds @SaintArnold @foundersbrewing BEK suggested price was $18-20. $16 #veryfriendly\

19m

.@thefriendlyspot @SaintArnold @foundersbrewing you’re charging a lot more than anyone else in Texas. Can’t imagine the breweries approve.

13m

@beernerds Drink what you want, where you want and Be Friendly. We're not going to make everyone happy but, we sure try to be friendly.

8m

.@beernerds We care, that's why we answer. Our brew prices are comparable, starting at $2.25. We are on-premise & friendly in Southtown.

4m

@thefriendlyspot the standard rate for a bottle of @saintarnold #BB3 was $6-$10. Surely you see a difference between that and your $16?

49s

@beernerds feel free to contact our owner Jody@thefriendlyspot.com She supports new places and is friendly. Email her for more info

Beernerds likes this.
  4. aschwab

Does this place list prices anywhere on a menu? Just out of curiosity....it is gouging, but I have a hard time arguing with them if it is listed on a menu when you order.

thirdeye11 likes this.
  5. Beernerds

Beernerds Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2011 Texas

Anybody wanna tackle the email to the owner? Maybe one of the San Antonio BAs?

6. Grendle

Grendle Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Texas

I responded with my wallet months ago by not going to that place. As for prices on a menu? Not to my knowledge... I just wanted BA's to be aware of what's going on here before advocating this place in San Antonio as a great craft beer establishment. Last thing we need is any BA's getting ripped off.

thirdeye11 and air like this.
  7. TTUJohn

TTUJohn Initiate (157) Nov 13, 2012 Texas

I get that they are called the Friendly Spot but something about the way whoever runs their twitter and facebook uses the word friendly makes me want to hit them right in the mouth

NiceFly, djd07, jaymesbawned and 13 others like this.
  8. miikezombie

miikezombie Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2010 Texas

I would go with a good strangling.
    Someone on Failbook asked for pricing transparency after they were assaulted with the word "friendly" over and over. I assume this was do to an unexpected $16 charge. As I said above I haven't been there in almost 2 years, but I don't remember a bar menu.

9. Grendle

It's been a few months for me and no bar menu that I can recall. I've been told they invested in a huge lineup of taps with LCD Screens that show beer name, style, brewery name and ABV but ZERO price.

10. UT-Alex

UT-Alex Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2012 Texas

"We just want you to go where you are happy. Be friendly"

This seems like such an automated response and basically says we DGAF about your opinion. This is a good way to catch an uppercut.

Beernerds likes this.
  11. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2011 Texas

Big time foul.

12. HookemHops13

HookemHops13 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2013 Texas

God I'm glad someone else said it. Most annoying responses ever. We get it, your the friendly spot, stop talking like a retarded automated machine. Their responses alone would make me hate the place even if it wasn't for the 16$ bb3...

Grendle likes this.
  13. greenspointexas

greenspointexas Savant (975) Jan 16, 2011 Texas

If they are charging $16 and people are buying them, then let em do it.

Eye of the beholder theory. If people don't go there or don't buy BB3 at $16, then let them suffer and go out of business.

Yall don't yell at the people paying thousands of dollars for a HotD Dave, now do you?

I would never pay $16 for that beer, but others would/will. Its a free market, let them charge what they want. Speak with your wallet. I bet they are blowing through that KBS, even at $16 a clip

14. bccocx

bccocx Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2007 Texas

The fact that they're claiming BEK suggested $18-20 is bullshit. I seriously doubt BEK said that. Unless the conversation was: "What is the highest price you think we can get away with?" Sorry guys, just trying to stay Friendly.

15. UT-Alex

UT-Alex Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2012 Texas

Beer apologists do exist!

air likes this.
  16. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,528) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

I agree with you for the most part, what seems to put me off is their response. Seaming to blame it on the distributor. I had the same issue with BRC over the Bishops Barrel releases. I let them know about my concerns, and so did a bunch of others. They ended up reducing the price. Either cause they realized they were gouging a little to much, or they pretty much knew they were going to lose customers. Never a bad thing to politely let an establishment know your concerns. They might actually listen, or like this place maybe not:grinning:

Beernerds likes this.
  17. nathanmiller

nathanmiller Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2009 New York

On twitter, Lake_Speed suggested it may have been $18-20 per four pack of KBS. Which wouldn't be unreasonable actually.

18. bccocx

That is fair for KBS (4-pack). It's not fair for a single BB3.

19. nathanmiller

nathanmiller Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2009 New York

Agreed. And they aren't, to the best of my knowledge, charging 16 for a 4-pack, but rather 16 per bottle.

20. aschwab

The shady thing to me is that a place can openly charge $16 for a bottle. Good for them

Just let the customer KNOW that it is $16 a bottle when they order. I have never been to a beer bar and order a $15-20 bottle and no one ask me again to verify that I still want it.

This place did not list the price, charges up to 200% more than other places, does not give you a warning when you order it, and then blames it on the distributors.

Not so "friendly" IMO.

mrkmrk, rainerschuhsler and air like this.
  21. greenspointexas

greenspointexas Savant (975) Jan 16, 2011 Texas

If this is the case, then heck yea, I would say its shady and messed up fo sho. And I agree with that Paul said above as well.

aschwab likes this.
  22. aschwab

I can understand this if their beer menu constantly changes, but you have a chalkboard or something showing prices.

This place apparently has multiple flat screens with beers, alcohol %, IBU, etc, updates it constantly, but shows NO price. That is just screaming scam.

For the record, I tweeted them when they everyone else was and getting responded to. I simply asked them why they did not show their prices on their updated beer screens since that would solve all confusion. They weren't too friendly and did not respond.

rainerschuhsler and air like this.
  23. channels321

channels321 Initiate (130) Apr 16, 2012 Texas

24. TTUJohn

TTUJohn Initiate (157) Nov 13, 2012 Texas

25. ehsteve

ehsteve Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2009 Texas

That's a completely insane price. I think I paid something like $8 at Craft Pride.

26. Grendle

Now come on guys #BeFriendly. LMAO !

27. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas

I believe KBS four packs were ~25$.

28. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Aspirant (210) May 17, 2012 Texas

The four-pack of KBS I bought from HEB was $19.99.

starkmarvelo and FUNKPhD like this.
  29. HopAG

HopAG Disciple (339) Sep 22, 2012 Texas

$16 oh wow mister...

30. aschwab

Hell, I think it may have been only $7 but I could be mistaken there.

31. FriendlyJody

FriendlyJody Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Texas

I am proud to own Friendly Spot and Alamo Street Eat Bar. Two locally owned, urban ice houses near downtown San Antonio. I am a member of my community of Southtown, creator of 26 jobs and a mom to Wilson and Simone. My husband is Steve. He builds draft systems and has become the go to guy to help new small craft beer businesses. Just ask any of the places you name, we've helped them. Steve also meets with breweries and distributors to bring great beer to the 210. Friendly Spot has over 250 bottled brews, 76 on tap and everyone is welcome. We are members of Open the Taps, Texas Tavern League and support SA Beer Week.

If you haven't been, come on by. If you have, we're glad you came and appreciate your business. We started as a very small business and have grown into a real community place to gather for Southtown and urban San Antonio.

A few of you tweeted my business The Friendly Spot Ice House. We responded and the same few continued with very negative posts. I am sorry to the one who did not get responded to, lost in the shuffle. My team put my email jody@thefriendlyspot.com out there to contact me direct. Please do so, if you are interested in open, honest, friendly discussion. I have yet to have a single person email me from the twitter feed contact me. I have had many folks from around the state contact me in support of what we are doing here. I appreciate that and will continue doing the best I can for my customers, staff and community.

I encourage discussion, I learn everyday and am busier than I ever thought. I support locally owned small business and encourage you to do the same. Please visit us here in Southtown and learn what we're about. If you still don't care for us, that's fine, it's okay. Find a locally owned place in your area and support it. My amazing staff always says "Drink what you want, wherever you want and just be friendly".

32. kmello69

kmello69 Zealot (529) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

Did you cut and paste this from some poorly written promotional materials? What you DIDN'T do is actually respond to the issues raised about why you have this beer priced at virtually double of what it costs anywhere else. Until you do so, the rest of it is just filler.

33. FriendlyJody

FriendlyJody Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Texas

i am a member here but, not a regular participant. Please email me for further discussion jody@thefriendlyspot.com. Thanks

34. lefty12

lefty12 Initiate (85) Feb 6, 2010 Texas

Would it not be easier to continue the discussion on this thread?

ExperimentalAles likes this.
  35. aschwab

I am failing to understand why this is not something you can talk about in an open forum.

1) Why did you put the blame on BEK for the price point when they are saying they do not give recommended prices?

2) Why do you not show prices on your menu when you update everything else on the board with every detail BUT the price? That alone would clear up confusion.

3) How do you justify the price point for that particular beer when it is over 200% more than other bars? Overhead is not a reason as every bar has overhead but I am guessing yours is a bit less since it mostly outdoors.

Everyone has the same questions. It makes no sense not to address those questions here.

And I am happy to see more locally owned craft beer places. It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth when it comes off that you are trying to rip the consumers off.

I do not mind paying an extra dollar for a beer if it is something that is clearly stated. Hell, if you listed the beer with a price next to it, no one would be shell-shocked by the prices. It should be the bars responsibility to be very transparent about what they are providing and how much it will cost for the consumer. You have no issue being transparent about what you will be providing, but you are hiding the prices unless someone asks. People go in there with a reasonable assumption that the prices will reflect the prices at other competing establishments for the same beer, but it does not seem to be the case.

13DegN, mrkmrk, HopAG and 5 others like this.
  36. bccocx

Jody,

As you may know, many of us are here to help promote craft beer throughout our communities. We want to spread the gospel of good craft beer to those who haven't yet had the opportunity to try some tasty craft beers. We like to support our local breweries, brewpubs, and bars. We're "Beer Advocates."

The problem we all have with your joint, is that you are blatantly gouging prices on certain beers. $16 for Saint Arnold's Bishop Barrel 3? Are you kidding me? Some places in Austin charged as low as $4.50. Some charged as high as $10. I've yet to hear a case of $10+ in Austin. $16 for KBS? Some of us purchased four packs for $20. You are hurting craft beer. If a craft beer newbie comes into your joint and gets charged that kind of money, they'll easily be turned off to craft beer. We don't want that happening to our friends. You can also hurt the Saint Arnold name by charging such high prices. People can easily become turned off to the brewery because they had to pay such a high price for their beer. They don't realize the stuff that happens in the background (distribution markup, retailer markup etc.). When a retailer is profiting significantly more than the brewery, there is a problem.

I've only been to the Friendly Spot once, and I had a great time. I recall fair prices on the beers I ordered (nothing out of the ordinary). I would probably go back even, but y'all have to make it right for the consumer. Free market is great. You can charge what you want. We can also stop supporting your business. We'll spread the word, too. You've got good Yelp reviews right now. We can make that change.

If you haven't picked up on it yet, we're a very vocal group. Many of us are close to the brewers and distributors. We will be in touch with them and we will vocalize that we don't want rare beers distributed to your place of business. We would rather those beers be sent to bars that will set a fair price (and they'll still make profit on the beer). Most brewers get very upset when they see this kind of behavior.

You can always make it right and charge fair prices in the future. Would we support you then? Absolutely. Just don't ask the consumer to bend over for a special beer. Let them enjoy the beer at a fair price and enjoy your profits.

Cheers,
    BCC

edit: sent to Jody via e-mail & Saint Arnold. If anyone has a good beverage contact for BEK in SATX, please PM me.

ehsteve, 13DegN, mrkmrk and 10 others like this.
  37. Beernerds

Beernerds Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2011 Texas

Great stuff, y'all. Loved your responses. I have nothing to add, except that I also emailed Jody and look forward to hearing back.

38. ExperimentalAles

ExperimentalAles Initiate (101) May 24, 2012 Texas

This post is very rude. We already understand that the owner of this establishment is a human being, they support craft beer, and that they are a nice person. Nobody here is accusing you of not being human, not supporting craft beer, and not being a nice person. These are the only issues your post addresses.

If you read the 73 posts before yours your will see the issue is you inappropriately priced a beer, and did not publicize the price of it before people ordered. Additionally, it appears that you were dishonest about BEK's pricing guidelines; as it is incredibly unlikely BEK would have told you to charge twice what everyone else is charging.

This is not an AOL chat room or the CNN comments section where people get on here and anonymously flame and talk crap; most of the people on here know each other. We are human beings too, but we don't bring up the number of family members we have or mention all we have done for the craft beer community, because it is not relevant to this discussion; we are here to discuss the topic at hand.

ehsteve, mrkmrk, Mcal and 5 others like this.
  39. air

air Aspirant (205) Mar 28, 2007 Texas
    Trader

One message that's been lost in all this: let's not confuse gouging for basic consumer advocacy. The poor transparency is the issue at hand here. We aren't here to call people names or make personal attacks. However, if a business makes some questionable actions and responds poorly (especially if in a dishonest fashion), those actions deserve to be called out.

And it applies to both sides: I'm also appalled at beer apologists who say to just leave it be. Of course, you can vote with your wallet and it's not rocket science to know that you can't gouge the willing. At the same time, we just want disclosure.

HopAG, bccocx and Beernerds like this.
  40. aschwab

As a business, I would think you would want to address the public complaints in front of everyone as opposed to trying to take it "off-line." We have nothing against you, we have nothing against how you got there, and we do hope your business is successful. We just hope that it is not successful by ripping unsuspecting people off which would not be friendly at all.

You have a chance to defend your practices, this tends to be a civil place for discussions which is why many brewers, bar owners, store owners and distributors post here. This is not on your twitter or facebook page, but a page that is frequented by avid beer fans who would just like to hear your side of the story. Right now, we feel the friendly spot is ripping people off. You can change that impression by explaining why it is that way.

ehsteve, 13DegN, HopAG and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.