$16 SA BB3... Fair or Foul?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Grendle, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas

That's what's up, as it seemed in other states I was hearing about 25$. I wish I could've ran into HEB and got a 4pk for 19,99...

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  2. HopAG

HopAG Disciple (339) Sep 22, 2012 Texas

Here Here!

Great feedback fellow BAs!

3. bccocx

bccocx Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2007 Texas

Definitely a fair response. I'm interested to hear what SA has to say. Maybe a mis-communication between BEK and The Friendly Spot? I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I believe BB2 was also priced at $16

Beernerds likes this.
  4. aschwab

aschwab Zealot (501) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

And KBS....

5. Danielbt

Danielbt Initiate (0) May 4, 2012 Texas

This was exactly my response after reading that pablum.

Jody, is is ridiculous to claim that you were getting "unfairly beat up on" when people were reporting the exact price you are charging for a beer, and pointing out it is twice what other bars charge for those beers.

Unless the truth is somehow "unfair" to you. :rolling_eyes:

13DegN, mrkmrk, TexasStout and 2 others like this.
  6. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas

I am a little bummed that this Jody character didn't say that they were trying to be friendly...:slight_frown:

Phil_S, wsnich, DanzBorin and 2 others like this.
  7. aschwab

I am also confused how it is unfair? We are asking for justification for their prices. Their prices are established by them and they seem high for what they offer.

If that is unfair criticism and asking for a response, then what would fair be?

TexasStout, ExperimentalAles and air like this.
  8. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Devotee (466) Apr 26, 2007 Minnesota

Our local SA rep was a part of yesterday's Twitter conversation (@saintarnoldSATX).

mattisloco likes this.
  9. aschwab

Their response to my email (same as my post more or less)....

*****, Thanks for your email.
    The menu is something we have struggled with. We are currently working with Monk's Tool Box for a listing system. It is going much slower than I thought but, everything always does. I have recently been looking into taplister. Do you have any suggestions?
    I have a meeting with my management shortly about pricing. I'll get back with you.
    I could really use help and suggestions on the listing. We have over 250 bottles and 76 taps. Please let me know if you have ideas.

10. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

I don't think I will be visiting this place. She's probably really good at dodgeball.

jerryquijano and TexasStout like this.
  11. aschwab

As someone in a dodgeball league, I may have a space open for more females.

TexasStout, FUNKPhD and starkmarvelo like this.
  12. TTUJohn

TTUJohn Initiate (157) Nov 13, 2012 Texas

I don't understand this.
    There are plenty of bars that have a lot of different beers and most of them have prices clearly listed or displayed. Especially based on the fact that this place apparently (I've never been) has screens that show ABV, IBU etc, maybe I am missing something, but I don't understand how hard it could be to have a column for price

13. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2011 Texas

Unfortunately, as a restaurant/bar only release series, Saint Arnold created this environment for this series. Certain establishments have more of a restaurant style high mark-up, and bottles will fall into that category, just like a bottle of wine. In case anyone did NOT know, that $80-$100 bottle of wine at your favorite restaurant is about $20-25 off the shelf.

14. starkmarvelo

You guys are pissed about a good beer being overpriced, come to Vegas. Sugar Factory has 12oz Pabst Blue Ribbon for $3.

15. mattisloco

mattisloco Disciple (314) Feb 13, 2007 Texas

Shhhh! What happens there stays there... except herpes.

starkmarvelo likes this.
  16. aschwab

It gets me everytime :slight_frown:

17. Beernerds

Beernerds Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2011 Texas

After a few emails back and forth, Jody from TFS assured me that she's looking into the pricing issue with their GM and bar manager. She said she'll come back to us when she has more information, which she expects to happen by next week. I'll report back.

Grendle likes this.
  18. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas

19. dancingbearpub

dancingbearpub Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2007 Texas

Come on peoples, either buy it or don't. I doubt they charged $16 to hurt your feelings.

I've enjoyed the Friendly Spot the times I've been there and didn't feel over-charged. They are independently owned and employee some great people. They have big selection of craft beer and great spot to drink it. They do some real positive things to help shape the craft beer scene in San Antonio and should get credit for that.
    I hope everyone did end up finding a bottle, because it was fantastic.

20. aschwab

To me, it is not that they sold it for $16 as much as not warning people it was $16 when they ordered it and not having the prices listed.

But $16 is still high.

HopAG likes this.
  21. dancingbearpub

I have been taught (by my wallet) to ask when prices are not posted. With the beer being limited they probably only got one case, I wouldn't add it to my menu and reprint just for one night of sales. Think of the trees! It feels so nice under their trees with a breeze. It makes my patio look like a loading dock!

DonD likes this.
  22. aschwab

They do not print any prices for any beer anywhere.

Most places have chalkboards for specialty beers that come in and are pricey. Or just warn you before they let you buy a $16 beer when there are no prices listed.

23. Danielbt

Danielbt Initiate (0) May 4, 2012 Texas

I'm fully supportive of anyone charging whatever they want for whatever they feel like selling.

Being deceptive by not listing prices and lying about suggested pricing from the distributor, who does not suggest price, is the problem here.

It's bullshit, BTW, if that weren't clear.

Show and kmello69 like this.
  24. dancingbearpub

Like I said, if you don't see the price ask. You have to ask about our bottle pricing. We used to print menus, but it was impossible to keep up with because we get deliveries 4 days a week. We do have a chalkboard for draft, if you can read my managers handwriting. It's a tough business and I feel like Jody, as well as I, appreciate the support of this community and our fellow members. If I ever piss you guys off, please just talk with me or send me a message. Beer Summit or something. Oh well, that's my two cents.

DonD, Krumb and HopAG like this.
  25. dancingbearpub

My GM just informed my the proofs for table-tent big bottle menus are here. Still they are likely to be out of date soon.

26. dancingbearpub

Look what I found while reading my reviews! Funny. I guess I'll take the good with the bad.

4.56/5 rDev +0.7%
    vibe: 4.5 | quality: 4.5 | service: 4.75 | selection: 4.5 | food: 4.5 | $$

The only place for craft beer in Waco. I've lived here for a few years now, and without the Bear, it's possible that I would have moved by now. The owner is a great guy that loves what he does and all the bartenders are really knowledgeable and friendly. Great food too since the pub is connected to Food for Thought.

My only qualm is that the bottle prices are really high, but being that it is literally the only place in town that you can buy them, I'll take the good with the bad.

If you're in Waco, stop by the Dancing Bear Pub.

27. aschwab

Target list:

The Friendly Spot
    Dancing Bear Pub
    Terrorists

It's on Dancing Bear Pub. You have been warned.:grinning:

mattisloco, starkmarvelo, air and 3 others like this.
  28. dancingbearpub

Let me know when y'all are coming up so I have time to lower all my prices!

29. jl28r1

jl28r1 Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2011 Texas

Looks to me like the problem is the run around responses given by TFS, not the actual price. If there was a response with a good reason for charging more that twice as much as most places (not that I think there is one), people might have been cool with it. It was all the...... be friendly, lets be friends..... crap while totally avoiding the actual issue that pissed people off. They won't see me or my money any time soon.
    (I have no affiliation to Freetail, just my Avatar. :sunglasses: Would hate to start a beer joint fight! )

mattisloco, Grendle, air and 2 others like this.
  30. dancingbearpub

I can see that, but 3 pages?

31. wsnich

wsnich Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2010 Texas

You must be new around here. I'm surprised its not 6.

FUNKPhD, mrkmrk, cfh64 and 4 others like this.
  32. jl28r1

A solid answer on page 1 and this would be a non- issue. Keep in mind that there still has been no answer.

mrkmrk, cfh64, air and 1 other person like this.
  33. dancingbearpub

I personally don't like to explain my pricing with others. It's not the norm in most businesses, but I understand the point you make.

34. jl28r1

I totally agree with you and respect the fact that you said that. That is how a good business person responds to issues like this one.

Even if the response was something like......You BAs are a bunch of know it all a..holes, stay out of my bar...... I would respect it more that the "be friendly" bullshit.

Thanks for jumping in and talking about the owner's side of things, that is what was needed from the beginning of this waaaaay too long thread. I wish I lived closer to your place so I could thank you with my dollars!

35. starkmarvelo

You're right, it's not the norm. That's why people love JK and Freetail because they'll set prices and break down brewery/distributor/store cost. If you treat people the way you'd want to be treated you'll get further in business and life.

mrkmrk, jl28r1 and dancingbearpub like this.
  36. dancingbearpub

Thanks jl28r1.
    I think most business owners try and protect their business from negative reviews. I don't know what the distributor told Jody when he sold her the beer or any of the other facts, but I like Jody and her husband. I think they are good people who love beer and respect other BA's opinions. Supporting local business is important to me, so I'll say this, instead of taking your business elsewhere, give them suggestions.

"The menu is something we have struggled with. We are currently working with Monk's Tool Box for a listing system. It is going much slower than I thought but, everything always does. I have recently been looking into taplister. Do you have any suggestions?"

P.S. Taplister only helps with draft.

starkmarvelo likes this.
  37. mattisloco

Come on. That was a BS response trying to shut whoever sent it up. I love your bar but you're siding with a piece of what's wrong with craft beer in TX. They're pushing the fact that they're selling BMC products for under $3 and highjacking the living fuck out of craft products. This drives BMC drinkers to keep going with BMC and think craft is for snobby rich people. I'm truly disappointed you would side with that crap.

38. jl28r1

easy bro, he is one of the good guys.

39. mattisloco

I thought I was easy.

Lutter likes this.
  40. jl28r1

I know. It says that on the men's room wall at Freetail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.